Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    2r54v9w.jpg

LOL copied and forwarded. win

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    im with you madwabbit

IE; i got up to 315x4 on bench, then i realized that wasnt **** next to a powerlifter and some days it just plain hurts to move big weight, i stick to as many reps as possible for 4-5 sets at 225 on bench, and squats. Pulled my back doing deads years ago, so on leg day i can always feel my back getting real tight. Sucks. I do around 14-15 reps on bench and can do up 18 on squat though i like 12, its a mental thing and i hate squats! You know how that is, ready to rack.

I do romanian deads on one of my leg days to hit more hams and core, the second leg day is front squats.

Right now y biggest issue is this thing i have york mints and dorittos. very dangerous

yeahhhh lifting and junk food dont mix. nothing wrong with a moderate to high rep program though. Dorian Yates swore by 4 sets for each exercise: 15, 13, 11, 7. I mean, it worked for Mr. Olympia. Crossfit can't say that.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Hey it feels good and people think i lift, mission accomplished

I eat mostly healthy, working at a restaurant means salads and grilled chicken.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So...uh...I don't really know how to say this.

Remember that guy who wasn't really too fond of Crossfit? Well, his friends have convinced him to join. He totally gave in to peer pressure and hopes to get much, er, fitter, out of it!

So yeah, I start Crossfit on Monday or Tuesday of next week. *gulp*

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So...uh...I don't really know how to say this.

Remember that guy who wasn't really too fond of Crossfit? Well, his friends have convinced him to join. He totally gave in to peer pressure and hopes to get much, er, fitter, out of it!

So yeah, I start Crossfit on Monday or Tuesday of next week. *gulp*

HA HA HA.

I hope they make you do 100 burpee wall balls for time on your first day.

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    4 months into crossfit...I enjoy it. Find it more entertaining than the same ol routine. Seems crossfit catches a lot of flack and I agree...joe blow off the streets that has never lifted or been exposed to oly lifts could be at risk. I'm not serious enough to push myself beyond my limit. Not worth it. I take my time if necessary.

I thought I was in pretty good lifting shape prior to starting, I got my ass kicked for 2 weeks lol!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    4 months into crossfit...I enjoy it. Find it more entertaining than the same ol routine. Seems crossfit catches a lot of flack and I agree...joe blow off the streets that has never lifted or been exposed to oly lifts could be at risk. I'm not serious enough to push myself beyond my limit. Not worth it. I take my time if necessary.

I thought I was in pretty good lifting shape prior to starting, I got my ass kicked for 2 weeks lol!

@Sully and RSC: I HATE working my core and as such I only have the top four abs showing...I really want an 8 pack again. Will CF force me to work my core? I am not too familiar with all of the crap y'all do haha

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    @Sully and RSC: I HATE working my core and as such I only have the top four abs showing...I really want an 8 pack again. Will CF force me to work my core? I am not too familiar with all of the crap y'all do haha

Just about every workout is core based... So get ready for all the core you can handle lol

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just about every workout is core based... So get ready for all the core you can handle lol

Sounds like a winner to me! I am also ready to start climbing ropes and doing the awesome ring pullups. I have neither of those where I workout at normally!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If it gets the gains, I say more power to ya

We shall see. Every one of my friends who has done it has gotten pretty jacked. If I don't see super results, I will at least be meeting a ton of like-minded athletic people.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I recently began doing crossfit. My first goal was to find a solid gym thay wasn't full of nut jobs that acted like a cult. I succeeded. Second, I wanted an established gym that focused on form and strength development and personal interaction vs. The whole what I call "globo gym" mentality and "it's all about the clock and reps!" I succeeded.

We do a ton of squats, deadlifts, cleans, jerks, frontsquats, etc. My strength has definitely improved in just a few months, as measured by my improved lifts/weights.

One thing that tends to turn people off I have noticed, especially, is "kipping". If I had to pick one thing, that is what I'd say I've heard people dog on the most.

My take on kipping...

It's about momentum and functional body control. NOONE at my gym pretends that a kipping pullup is the same as a strict pull up. It's not meant to be. The goal is to allow the athlete to do a higher volume of reps thay they otherwise could, so as to keep the heart rate up. It also hits a different set of muscles, and teaches the functional use of momentum as stated. It's not a cheater pull up. It's it's own thing, with a unique purpose. Much like a wide grip push up vs. narrow, etc. Or a hat vs. Sumo squat. Perhaps even better, a jerk vs. overhead press. They are different movements with different purposes. I think kipping got a bad name because a bunch of idiots in the beginning went around blabbing about how many "pullups" they could do...

Another thing is that clock...if you are dumping form, or encouraged to dump form, to appease the clock...screw that. Find a new gym. I have found that timed lifts have helped me a lot. However, if your coaches are not drilling form above all else, you're going to get hurt. Like the board on the wall at my gym says. Competition is good...but don't let it ruin your day.

So far, I have gone from front squatting 265#, to 310#, and back squatting a "calculated 355" (based on 3RM) to an actual 375 1 RM. My overhead press went from 185ish to 205. I am still working on my cleans. Olympic lifting is new to me. I'm doing a relatively weak 225#. Currently I weigh 195#. 5'10.5" I have been doing CF for about 3 months, now.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Abs are made in the kitchen, so they say. I fluctuate from 10% to 18% BF, and agree.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Abs are made in the kitchen, so they say. I fluctuate from 10% to 18% BF, and agree.

Definitely, but after almost two years of CF, I have learned that working your core is important too!

Did you do the open?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Definitely, but after almost two years of CF, I have learned that working your core is important too!

Did you do the open?

No. I suck far too much for that kind of thing, and even if I didn't, I don't compete in things like that. Never have. Even when I fought full contact and was wiping out brown and black belts, I never went to a tournament. Just not my thing.

We work core a lot, and yes it's important. I'm just saying I've never seen anyone's abs push through their abdominal fat pad to become visible. That's how a lot of these supplement companies get you. I remember on BB.com how one guy dropped 25# or so in a month and went from soft as hell to jacked and shredded. He was carrying a lot of water, and he knew exactly what he was doing. He used Hydroxycut or something for like a week, and they posted his picture in a TON of ads. He laughed his ass off on the forum about how people were so stupid and would buy the stuff because of his "transformation on it". Point being, he was jacked, but fat/water weight prevented it from showing. Let me see if I can find the link.

here:
    Final_Results_m.jpg.html

He didn't "get swoll abs" in a month, lol.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2113371

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    No. I suck far too much for that kind of thing, and even if I didn't, I don't compete in things like that. Never have. Even when I fought full contact and was wiping out brown and black belts, I never went to a tournament. Just not my thing.

I would recommend doing the Open next year if you are still doing CF. It is not a competition against anyone else unless you make it that. It's great to use to compete against yourself and to see how much you are getting better over the years. We have a 61 year old guy at our gym who has been doing CF for about 4 months. He did the open this year not to compete with anyone, but to be able to see how he does next year compared to this year.

Competing against yourself is one of the best ways to get better!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I would recommend doing the Open next year if you are still doing CF. It is not a competition against anyone else unless you make it that. It's great to use to compete against yourself and to see how much you are getting better over the years. We have a 61 year old guy at our gym who has been doing CF for about 4 months. He did the open this year not to compete with anyone, but to be able to see how he does next year compared to this year.

Competing against yourself is one of the best ways to get better!
    They put us on teams, and I did not want to drag my team down.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So far, I have gone from front squatting 265#, to 310#, and back squatting a "calculated 355" (based on 3RM) to an actual 375 1 RM. My overhead press went from 185ish to 205. I am still working on my cleans. Olympic lifting is new to me. I'm doing a relatively weak 225#. Currently I weigh 195#. 5'10.5" I have been doing CF for about 3 months, now.

I meant to reply to this earlier. Those numbers are really, really good. 375 Back Squat is nice.

How many strict pullups can you do? Kipping? Muscle-ups?

Here's a fun workout for you to try (and record your time on):
    (Baseline)
    500m row
    40 Airsquats (break parallel on each)
    30 situps
    20 pushups
    10 pullups (any type allowed as long as full-extension reached and chin clears bar)

A good time is sub 4 minutes.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I meant to reply to this earlier. Those numbers are really, really good. 375 Back Squat is nice.

How many strict pullups can you do? Kipping? Muscle-ups?

Here's a fun workout for you to try (and record your time on):
    (Baseline)
    500m row
    40 Airsquats (break parallel on each)
    30 situps
    20 pushups
    10 pullups (any type allowed as long as full-extension reached and chin clears bar)

A good time is sub 4 minutes.

I can probably do 15ish strict pull ups. Unsure on kipping. My hands limit me on kipping. My coach persons say I'm strong enough for muscle ups. I just don't have the skillset. My whole life I've done hanging movements with a huge effort to damp momentum and it's really hard for me to kip, etc.

We have guys hitting 500+ and girls in the 300s on back squat. I need to step it up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom