Crossfit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I saw a friend that does Crossfit lift a huge ball that looked quite heavy. What is that all about and what do they weight?

How big is huge? I toss tiny beach ball sized weights that vary from 8 to 30#. Typically only used for wall ball tosses though. It's a cardiovascular beatdown.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Looked huge compared to a basketball, it may have been a grey stone. Knowing him it was quite heavy and they said only 3 people had ever lifted it.

Yeah, we don't do that at my gym haha.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yeah, we don't do that at my gym haha.

He used to have a section of a utility pole about 15' long he would lift and press. The type of poles you see on highway right of way. You probably do not use them either.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just wish I could do a muscle-up. It's a skill I just don't have. My lifts are decent, I can bang out 15 strict dead-hang pull ups over or under-hand, whichever, blah blah blah, but nowhere close to a MU on rings or bar.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I just wish I could do a muscle-up. It's a skill I just don't have. My lifts are decent, I can bang out 15 strict dead-hang pull ups over or under-hand, whichever, blah blah blah, but nowhere close to a MU on rings or bar.

It's ALL form. Once you get the form, it's actually EASIER than a chest to bar pullup. No joke.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Really? Those are cake. Meh. I'm just doing it wrong I guess.

Just gotta kip correctly. Look at how little bitty gymnast girls do it. You don't want to do it like them because you won't have the range of motion of them, but you can try to slightly mimic their form. Get with your coach and work on hanging from the bar and use your core to do in and outs (or whatever you call them). Basically the front of a kip and the back. Once you get good at that, the kip with a big explosion will shoot you up to the bar. Rings are a bit different because you have to keep them in. I find bar muscle ups much easier.

Wider than shoulder grip, feet forward, then core forward, then explode your feet back and your chest up and OVER the bar. You should end up catching yourself with your hip bone touching the bar. Then either keep the momentum throwing you all the way up to a lockout, or press up.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Just gotta kip correctly. Look at how little bitty gymnast girls do it. You don't want to do it like them because you won't have the range of motion of them, but you can try to slightly mimic their form. Get with your coach and work on hanging from the bar and use your core to do in and outs (or whatever you call them). Basically the front of a kip and the back. Once you get good at that, the kip with a big explosion will shoot you up to the bar. Rings are a bit different because you have to keep them in. I find bar muscle ups much easier.

Wider than shoulder grip, feet forward, then core forward, then explode your feet back and your chest up and OVER the bar. You should end up catching yourself with your hip bone touching the bar. Then either keep the momentum throwing you all the way up to a lockout, or press up.

I'll give it a go. Stuff like that takes me forever to learn.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'll give it a go. Stuff like that takes me forever to learn.

Try this:

Set up a box under a bar where your shoulders are almost to the bar or are right at it. Jump up and practice flipping your elbows up and rotating over the bar. That's probably the hardest part for people (getting their elbows rolled over). Are you on instagram? If so, PM me.

Top Bottom