Did anyone watch Apple's WWDC today?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    You sir are totally wrong. I, for one went from PC to apple back to PC. As a matter of fact I have a iMac that I bought a year ago that I used for 3 months and has been setting in the closet ever since for sale. I'll take $600 for it. I paid .......$1300 for it. It does need a new keyboard though. The one that came with it broke and the one I replaced it with is a POS. I also have a iPad2 for sale for $200.

The reason I hate apple and went back to PC? Third party software!!! Even if it says it will run on a mac it probably won't. Screw apple and their proprietary ********.

PM sent on the ipad.

JR1572

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I have Apple mobile devices and don't mind them. I liked my Android phone better before I destroyed the screen, but I haven't had a more-modern iPhone to really compare it to. My iPad is great though. Still using the regular old iPad "1" from a few months after they first came out. Back then it was the only table that met my requirements, and I didn't want to wait for others to hit the market competitively. It still does everything I want out of it and has been hassle free.

For desktops, however, I just can't go away from PC.

I really like a few things about the new Mac Pro, which is mainly to do with introducing new form factors in chassis. It'd be nice to see more aftermarket case designs that used different forms. The new Apple would look much nicer on my entertainment center than the old black box MSI Wind I put together years ago, that runs my TV media. That was before all these fancy xbmc type products that come in cheaper and more capable.

I also don't like Apple's prices for what they give you. I don't buy Noveske, either.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    lol.

I create on my computer. Tablets, readers, and consoles are for consumption. Heck, I create on my iPad too.

Gaming is consumption.

Besides software development for work, I use my home computer to create all manner of stuff. From websites to music (mashups lately) to 3D illustration to photographic illustrations to icon sets to video. I was a professional photographer (yes, I was paid for it) for years and have been a Photoshop user since the product has existed. I've taught it for a number of years too.

To me a computer is a tool. I choose the best tool that enables me to get my work done in the most efficient and elegant manner possible. When / if Windows eclipses Mac in this regard, I will move back.

BTW, anyone try a windows RT tablet?

They're pretty nice. Close to a full PC and MUCH better than those craptastic netbooks of years past.

I hear ya man. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, I honestly use my home computer to do just about everything. I'm definitely in the "consumer" segment though.
    I use excel and PowerPoint for my CHP business, and created my web page using the user friendly GoDaddy templates (NO HTML) and use Management Scientist for school (Microsoft Project and Access were a bitch to learn how to use properly and I'll probably never use them again).

The only creative stuff I do is model stuff on sketchup and set up some linear programs with python. By far the most demanding things I do with my computer is games.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I hear ya man. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, I honestly use my home computer to do just about everything. I'm definitely in the "consumer" segment though.
    I use excel and PowerPoint for my CHP business, and created my web page using the user friendly GoDaddy templates (NO HTML) and use Management Scientist for school (Microsoft Project and Access were a bitch to learn how to use properly and I'll probably never use them again).

The only creative stuff I do is model stuff on sketchup and set up some linear programs with python. By far the most demanding things I do with my computer is games.

And that's why Windows is fine for the majority of users.

I haven't been that guy for a long time.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    lol, I'm in the same exact boat as rrussotwo, as far as being a creator in addition to consumer, but for the same reasons he's Apple, I'm on PC.

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I just put iOS7 Beta 1 on my iPhone 5. Will let you guys know my thoughts.

Has text selection, copy/paste, or the keyboard layout changed? iOS desperately needs arrow keys for moving the cursor during text editing.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Has text selection, copy/paste, or the keyboard layout changed? iOS desperately needs arrow keys for moving the cursor during text editing.

Nope, same way but I don't understand what the point of arrows would be. You just hold what you've typed and can move over with your finger.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've been using iOS7 for about 3 and a half hours and really like it so far. In terms of bugs with it being the first beta I haven't found too many. Majority of my apps still seem to work. I was expecting most to crash but the ones I've tried working fine. The layout and design is a lot simpler yet more advanced looking. Everything flows smoothly. I really like the new Moments feature in Photos where it organized photos based on dates. If you use your phone camera at all that is really useful. The Control Panel is my favorite addition. I've always jailbroken my phone to have a feature like that where I can quickly turn wifi on or off, change brightness and use a flashlight without having to open up 5 different settings. Siri has some good improvements in design and features. Haven't messed with iTunes Radio but I will later. There are other small features I like such as being able to add unlimited apps to folders and the default weather app has a nice overhaul. Safari is nice too, you can now have more than 8 tabs opened and it operates much more like Chrome than a untouched 3 year old mobile browser. I'll play with some more stuff later but those are my initial impressions. If anyone has specific questions please ask and I'll try my best to answer or check different things out.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I rarely use group messaging. What was the problem and what fix are you looking for? I can check :D

Ideally, the ability to create and save groups and name them. Currently, you have to send a text and add the contacts one at a time or dig through old texts for a message you sent to the same group. I want to have a group list with each group being editable to add remove people. Android has this IIRC.

Also the ability to turn just group message alerts off temporarily. As it is if I sent you and 20 other people a group text, you would keep getting annoying ass alerts everytime anyone of them texted and there is no way to remove yourself from a group other than turning off group messaging entirely or waiting and hoping that eventually they stop. It's annoying as hell and something they should have fixed a long time ago. There's been times I'm in a group message and I'm trying to talk on the phone while it's constantly chiming and/or vibrating.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ideally, the ability to create and save groups and name them. Currently, you have to send a text and add the contacts one at a time or dig through old texts for a message you sent to the same group. I want to have a group list with each group being editable to add remove people. Android has this IIRC.

Also the ability to turn just group message alerts off temporarily. As it is if I sent you and 20 other people a group text, you would keep getting annoying ass alerts everytime anyone of them texted and there is no way to remove yourself from a group other than turning off group messaging entirely or waiting and hoping that eventually they stop. It's annoying as hell and something they should have fixed a long time ago. There's been times I'm in a group message and I'm trying to talk on the phone while it's constantly chiming and/or vibrating.

Nope no changes in that regard that I see. You have been able to add groups to contacts just not from the phone. You have to do it through your computer contacts and have iCloud sync. In terms of turn off ringing for it or anything else I don't see any changes in the sound or messaging settings. Only new feature I notice is the block list.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370984526.408165.jpg

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've been using iOS7 for about 3 and a half hours and really like it so far. In terms of bugs with it being the first beta I haven't found too many. Majority of my apps still seem to work. I was expecting most to crash but the ones I've tried working fine. The layout and design is a lot simpler yet more advanced looking. Everything flows smoothly. I really like the new Moments feature in Photos where it organized photos based on dates. If you use your phone camera at all that is really useful. The Control Panel is my favorite addition. I've always jailbroken my phone to have a feature like that where I can quickly turn wifi on or off, change brightness and use a flashlight without having to open up 5 different settings. Siri has some good improvements in design and features. Haven't messed with iTunes Radio but I will later. There are other small features I like such as being able to add unlimited apps to folders and the default weather app has a nice overhaul. Safari is nice too, you can now have more than 8 tabs opened and it operates much more like Chrome than a untouched 3 year old mobile browser. I'll play with some more stuff later but those are my initial impressions. If anyone has specific questions please ask and I'll try my best to answer or check different things out.

Cool stuff. Thanks for being a guinea pig.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

God forbid I am the recipient of a group message. I absolutely *%$##ing HATE the way the iPhone does this.

There is a setting that doesn't transmit every response to every person that received the original message, only the sender, but most people don't know its there or won't turn it off. (I've had to threaten people over this.)

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Nope, same way but I don't understand what the point of arrows would be. You just hold what you've typed and can move over with your finger.

The precision isn't there, too tedious in many situations assuming extended editing. Some third party editors include arrow keys to move the cursor a character or two. Right now, it's quicker to delete to the mistake rather than futz with the spyglass cursor.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    well, nobody in the design-geek set really likes it. Well, not nobody: The Wall Street Journal, that arbiter of cool, called it "cool." Chad of Bayoushooter.com thinks it's ultra-fantastical as he does all things Apple, and the other Apple-obsessed blogger John Gruber wrote a whole post praising Ive's new vision for the iPhone. But even he admits "iOS 7 is not perfect," justifying his conclusion because "this new design framework will evolve and improve over time." Not everyone was so forgiving. Here's why not.

Designers Think Apple's New Flat iOS Look Is 'Ugly' and 'Harsh' and Blinding
    http://news.yahoo.com/designers-think-apples-flat-ios-look-ugly-harsh-145334967.html

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

I'd be happy if all they let me do was take myself out of a group message. I'm stuck in a couple groups from a while back where some days I'll get 10-20 messages about **** I could care less about, and I can't get them to make a new group without me :madfawk:

Top Bottom