Do ranges....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    As long as you stay behind the barrier I don't think it is a problem. More likely to agitate fellow shooters if they plan on collecting theirs. If it's just you, and there's brass on the ground, go for it.

Most ranges I go to don't even clean up the brass, they have a guy that comes in and collects/sorts it to sell.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I was mainly thinking of precision. Usually when I get there no one is in there so I clean up the area and dump it in the bin. But now since I have reload equipment I may as well put it to use.

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I always saved my own, just wondered about taking all the extras :D Guess I'll be bringing my bucket next time.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I know of 1 indoor range that frowns on it. At lease they use to. 4 pieces of .45 brass lost my business years ago.
    It depends if they collect it for resale.

Most outdoor ranges ask that you pick up your brass when you finish.

Art

Last edited:

Quas

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    When I used to shoot up at the Natchez State Park in TN you were supposed to pick up your brass but no one did. My buddy that reloaded used to pick up about 5 buckets full each weekend we went. Guess I can always post the question in the Precision forum.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    When I used to shoot up at the Natchez State Park in TN you were supposed to pick up your brass but no one did. My buddy that reloaded used to pick up about 5 buckets full each weekend we went. Guess I can always post the question in the Precision forum.

I've got about 25,000 .45apc cases. I bought 500 starline cases and 1 box of Fed GM match. All the rest came from picking up brass that other people left.
    I don't pickup rifle brass other than 7.62x39. Brass 7.62x39 is hard to find.

Art

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Last time I was at Precision no one around me was picking up theirs (Luckly all 9 mm) so I asked if they minded. No one cared so I came away with a big ol goodie bag.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Most ranges expect you to clean up your brass. Same on targets, ammo boxes and the like.

That may mean sweep brass forward. I pick up my own and anything else I can get. Sometimes it depends on the guy working when you are there. The range usually has a policy that is stated somewhere.

Another shooter giving me his brass should not be a problem. Me picking up my own brass should not be a problem. Picking up brass that was left by a previous shooter may be a rule breaker & I can understand that. It is a personal choice if you want to put up with the ranges policy or find another place. If you knowingly break the rules and get caught, then you may have some consequence.

I have heard of ranges (out of state) that would not let anyone pickup any brass. I guess you can imagine how that went over.

There are also "Lost Brass" matches where picking up your brass is not allowed. This may be due to time constraints, SAFETY or just a perk for the guys putting on the match. It is usually known before hand and not a surprise.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    This is how I feel.
    First off picking up your own brass wether to reload or just to clean up, is good practice.
    Second, I would never stay at a range that charges you to shoot there, but will not let you pick up others neglected brass. If they really want it, then they can post someone with a pushbroom and a dust pan to get it.
    Third, It might be frowned upon to pick up someones brass while they are shooting without their permission.

If permission is given I see nothing wrong with hovering there with a bucket trying to catch the brass before they hit the deck and yelling "2 points" each time you catch one.:mamoru:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I don't know about other ARs, but mine throws them so consistently that if I were to stand in one place most of them would land in a bucket if I positioned it right.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    DO NOT DO IT AT SHOOTER'S CLUB IN METAIRIE.

I tried to pick up some brass that someone had obviously left, and Mike, the manager went plum batshit crazy.

That is what they pay the old man who sweeps the range with. He bird dogs me anytime I pick up brass now. He can really be an ass in the way hetalks to people sometimes, but he is a good dude.

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    DO NOT DO IT AT SHOOTER'S CLUB IN METAIRIE.

I tried to pick up some brass that someone had obviously left, and Mike, the manager went plum batshit crazy.

That is what they pay the old man who sweeps the range with. He bird dogs me anytime I pick up brass now. He can really be an ass in the way hetalks to people sometimes, but he is a good dude.

You mean Shooters Club in Harahan? I haven't ever seen Mike at Metairie.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    They pay him in brass? Are you serious? I had no idea.

That is what Mike told me when he chewed my ass like a 14 year old. I was shooting 22, and there was some 9mm and 45 in my stall, so I just picked it up instead of sweeping, and he swooped in and berated me. When I tried to talk to him about his tone, which I have tolerated for quite a while, he basically took the ole' if you don't like it, go somewhere else. I think he is just a little special, so I give him some slack, but I have heard him yell at people on the phone and curse them out.

In his defense, there are some real knuckleheads that go in there. Democrats with double, I said double, pearl handled Taurus semi- in a nylon dual shoulder rig. If I would have been in the mood for a gun fght, I would have tried to get pictures. :eek3:

Top Bottom