Do you EDC a light?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you EDC a light?

• Yes

Votes: 52 72.2%
    • No

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    My phone has a light, other than that each car has one in it and my bag has one in it if I really need one. I use to carry one on a clip but I have since dialed back on what I really need in my pockets and on my body.

How do you PID the BG, making sure you don't shoot grandma?

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    How do you PID the BG, making sure you don't shoot grandma?

PID? You have a Pelvic Inflammatory Disease? If I need a light I get a light, but I have no need to carry one in my pocket daily anymore, my cell phone is more than capable of lighting up dark corners in the office under my desk when I drop my pencil.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    If I need a light, I have lights to use, I just don't carry one on my person daily anymore. I can positively identify the bad guy if need be, I"m not looking for bad guys in dark places, the boogie man don't live under the bed no more.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Years ago I got a little Coleman MAX LED. It's been the most used EDC item I have - of course, lately it gets its most use when I hand it to my macular degenerated 97 year-old mother-in-law so she can read the menu in a restaurant.

DSpangler

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NOLA
    TLR-1 on my duty weapon, old school SureFire 6p on my duty belt.

ProTac 1L or MicroStream in a pocket when I'm off duty.

JDLEATH

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2017
    Baton Rouge LA
    On duty, TLR-1HL on duty weapon. As well as a Streamlight Protac 2L. Off duty, no WML, been thinking about it, but haven't bought another for my off duty G19, or a holster to accommodate same.

Off duty the Protac 2L only, unless I am dressing for a prohibitive environment, then the G19 and Protac get traded for a j-frame in a pocket and a Streamlight Microstream in the other.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm a fanatic about watches, pocket knives and flashlights. I ALWAYS have a light, particularly because my eyes are over 60 years old. I keep lights of various power everywhere: nightstand, glove compartment AND console, tool boxes, shell carrier, range bags, AR case, pistol cases, and more. The kind of light depends on the application. The light that I have in the most places, including my pocket, is a small CREE LED light. It zooms, has two brightness levels and it strobes. It's about the size of a roll of Lifesavers. It uses one AA battery. Photo: https://goo.gl/MWhvTN

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I always carry a light beyond the one on my phone.

I'm a huge fan of the Streamlight stylus pro. AAA batteries, size if a pen and very bright for its size at 90 lumens, plus the batteries last a good long time.

It has a smaller cousin that uses a single AAA at 45 lumens.

Streamlight makes great products and I probably have three or four of the the Stylus Pro. If you are carrying a gun, I'd recommend getting something brighter (Protac 2L-X at the minimum) as you will not be able to PID a threat under stress with that stylus pro. Also, if you ever have to clear a room in the dark or point your gun at something outside that's more than 20 feet away, the pro will be VERY lacking.

I'm a fanatic about watches, pocket knives and flashlights. I ALWAYS have a light, particularly because my eyes are over 60 years old. I keep lights of various power everywhere: nightstand, glove compartment AND console, tool boxes, shell carrier, range bags, AR case, pistol cases, and more. The kind of light depends on the application. The light that I have in the most places, including my pocket, is a small CREE LED light. It zooms, has two brightness levels and it strobes. It's about the size of a roll of Lifesavers. It uses one AA battery. Photo: https://goo.gl/MWhvTN

I have a few of that exact same light as well that I got on Amazon (5 pack). As mentioned above, it's just not bright enough. Also, I have had issues with reliablity of the Cree lights.

Another issue with them is that they are just too small (physically) to get a good grip on under stress. If you needed to use it as an impact weapon, it wouldn't work due to its size. Like I mentioned above, a bigger, brighter, higher quality light is MUCH better and could literally save your life. Also, with being 60+, brighter is going to make seeing things so much easier if you need to light something up.

Just my $0.02

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Who here actually carries a light more than 95% of the time? What do you carry?

I carry a flash-light 100% of the time off body. I put it in my left pocket if I'm travelling around dark. I also keep one in my car at all times. And I have a spare in my off body bag.

Last edited:

safrench

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    I carry a streamlight pt 2l everyday. My only suggestion is to get on Amazon and get rechargeable batteries. They get expensive.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If you are carrying a gun and not carrying a handheld light you are really short changing yourself and reducing your capability.

Top Bottom