Driver arrested for having empty compartment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Then what you witnessed has no bearing on what I or Motor51 was talking about; Which was search and seizure case law as it applies to vehicles stopped in a traffic stop. Vehicles that the officer did not witness moving, abandoned, etc on private property trigger a different set of more restrictive requirements. In that case, yes you would need a search warrant to search a parked and locked car on private property.

You beat me to it Joel.

JR1572

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Then what you witnessed has no bearing on what I or Motor51 was talking about; Which was search and seizure case law as it applies to vehicles stopped in a traffic stop. Vehicles that the officer did not witness moving, abandoned, etc on private property trigger a different set of more restrictive requirements. In that case, yes you would need a search warrant to search a parked and locked car on private property.

He was in the car on his cell phone but the car was parked and to my knowledge had not been started but I could be wrong. He had caused a commotion inside a rehab hospital I was working at the time and we called the law on him to have him removed. Not sure if that makes any difference, but my point in posting it was to say that officers may say a lot of things to bluff scumbags (not saying kz45's relative is a scumbag) into letting them search. At the time I assumed it was a bluff.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    No, I'm not sure what his speed was
    But 61 is speeding right? By the law

I'm saying they where profiled, searched, nothing found and sent on there way!

Cops do do it, they make arrests that way, their not always right!!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Why is everyone missing the part about "narcotics". No where did it mention u couldn't have one for legal purposes. Just don't transport drugs and you won't have a problem.

•MOTOR51•

Understood. I was referring to a spirited discussion we had quite a while back involving the idea of "requiring" lock boxes in vehicles for guns. :p

But did this chap have any drugs, or not? This is kind of an open-ended story. :dunno:

Maybe the guy was a total dipshit who was guilty as sin any other day of the week....who knows. I'd like to see how it all pans out....

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

What I'm trying to figure out is why you are mad for a police officer conducting a lawful traffic stop and search and seizure. Why are you muddying up this conversation about 61 being speeding and cops not always being right. I'm trying to figure out how your brother was wronged.

Is there another incident maybe you were involved in that's triggering your butthurt?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Understood. I was referring to a spirited discussion we had quite a while back involving the idea of "requiring" lock boxes in vehicles for guns. :p

But did this chap have any drugs, or not? This is kind of an open-ended story. :dunno:

Maybe the guy was a total dipshit who was guilty as sin any other day of the week....who knows. I'd like to see how it all pans out....

Got it. There is always more to be story. I would like to see how he explains the marijuana smell.

•MOTOR51•

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

How do you know they were profiled?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    For the sake of discussion it's important to realize that profiling isn't illegal, unethical, or immoral. Profiling soley based on Race is. Profiling is not. Massive difference. Luckily for
    The arrested person he will get a day in court.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    For the sake of discussion it's important to realize that profiling isn't illegal, unethical, or immoral. Profiling soley based on Race is. Profiling is not. Massive difference. Luckily for
    The arrested person he will get a day in court.

Another legal fact that has been presented in this thread.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't get vehicle profiling. Is there some statistic that says that a F-250 is more likely to be carrying meth than a Toyota Tundra? I've heard a lot of people say they were profiled for driving _______, but I've never seen or heard a good reason for why that would be the case.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I don't get vehicle profiling. Is there some statistic that says that a F-250 is more likely to be carrying meth than a Toyota Tundra? I've heard a lot of people say they were profiled for driving _______, but I've never seen or heard a good reason for why that would be the case.

Depends on the area.

•MOTOR51•

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

And why do they think they were profiled?

•MOTOR51•

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

Probably because you've never learned about it's use in any other way than via media reports.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Probably because you've never learned about it's use in any other way than via media reports.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I've seen a whole bunch of people claim that they were profiled, but I've never seen anyone provide anything to substantiate that they were. If I was driving an F-250 and I got pulled over for a very minor traffic infraction(like failure to signal a lane change) and could point to a statistic that said that in _____ F-250s are 500% more likely to be carrying dope than a Toyota Tundra, I would point to that as evidence that I was profiled. I've never seen a claim of profiling ever backed up with any real evidence.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I've seen a whole bunch of people claim that they were profiled, but I've never seen anyone provide anything to substantiate that they were. If I was driving an F-250 and I got pulled over for a very minor traffic infraction(like failure to signal a lane change) and could point to a statistic that said that in _____ F-250s are 500% more likely to be carrying dope than a Toyota Tundra, I would point to that as evidence that I was profiled. I've never seen a claim of profiling ever backed up with any real evidence.

There's more to it than just what make/model vehicle is being driven.

JR1572

Top Bottom