Driver arrested for having empty compartment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm picturing a custom made compartment with a remotely activated release switch. Not the hidden map compartment in your console or the hidden compartments that are under the rear seats of most trucks. That being said, I'm sure if there were drugs in there at some point there would be some sort of residue. But like mpl006 said above, what would happen if he bought the car and the compartment was already in there. As always, I'm sure there is more to the story.

My guess is the guy was already caught or suspected of doing something bad. Cops don't just start looking for hidden compartments on your car without a good reason. I agree...there is probably much more to the story.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    A good enough reason nowadays is to have a out of state plates and luggage!
    My brothers were pulled over in Ms coming to Christmas, searched everything then let them go, i forget what the initial stop was for, some bs charge, no citation was giving

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    My brothers were pulled over in Ms coming to Christmas, searched everything then let them go, i forget what the initial stop was for, some bs charge, no citation was giving

Did they search without his consent?

•MOTOR51•

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Was the charge BS as in made up? Not a violation of that state's motor vehicle statutes?

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    It's only a short step from this to arresting people when they're stopped and it's obvious the seats and door panels have been taken apart and pulled open. Obviously, this was done to hide, transport, and then remove drugs. I've stopped loads of cars like that, I guess if LA would get their statutes in line, we could really start racking them up.

I think this is a crappy law. If I'm paranoid and don't want my iPod found and stolen, or routinely buy/sell/trade gold coins at pawn shops, estate sales, and trade shows, or really want to securely hide a book on rosegrowing that I don't want my pals to see me with, it's my fu@king right to build a secret compartment in my car and hide something. No different than burying it in my yard, locking it in a safe deposit box, or tucking it under a mattress. If some numbnut is found with drugs up his keister, he doesn't get charged for having a keister. If a search warrant is executed on a house and the drugs found inside are locked in a lockbox, there is no additional charge for the lockbox. If I catch someone with a blown glass smoking pipe with burnt marijuana residue, they'll get charged, but if they have a pipe that hasn't been smoked, then I'm going no further without other evidence lending corroboration as to it's intended use.

This sounds to me like a law leaning heavily to a seizure/asset forfeiture agenda.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It was made clear it was getting searched, either he consent and make it on time, or set on the side of the road till a judge gave the warrant, could have ben intimidation
    The charge could have ben speeding, going with the flow of traffic, but speeding is speeding and if they want to check you out it's that easy!!
    The guy I work with gave his son a truck this Christmas and he was pulled over and searched in Tn on his way home

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It was made clear it was getting searched, either he consent and make it on time, or set on the side of the road till a judge gave the warrant, could have ben intimidation
    The charge could have ben speeding, going with the flow of traffic, but speeding is speeding and if they want to check you out it's that easy!!
    The guy I work with gave his son a truck this Christmas and he was pulled over and searched in Tn on his way home

So the violation for the stop was legit, not BS.

And you don't need a warrant to search a vehicle where probable cause exists. So the likelihood that a cop told your brother to wait while a warrant was signed is silly. I'm just trying to figure this out because it seems like this story might be a little embellished.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So the violation for the stop was legit.

And you don't need a warrant to search a vehicle where probable cause exists. So the likelihood that a cop told your brother to wait while a warrant was signed is silly. I'm just trying to figure this out because it seems like this story might be a little embellished.

And he couldn't get a warrant without some PC.

•MOTOR51•

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It's only a short step from this to arresting people when they're stopped and it's obvious the seats and door panels have been taken apart and pulled open. Obviously, this was done to hide, transport, and then remove drugs. I've stopped loads of cars like that, I guess if LA would get their statutes in line, we could really start racking them up.

I think this is a crappy law. If I'm paranoid and don't want my iPod found and stolen, or routinely buy/sell/trade gold coins at pawn shops, estate sales, and trade shows, or really want to securely hide a book on rosegrowing that I don't want my pals to see me with, it's my fu@king right to build a secret compartment in my car and hide something. No different than burying it in my yard, locking it in a safe deposit box, or tucking it under a mattress. If some numbnut is found with drugs up his keister, he doesn't get charged for having a keister. If a search warrant is executed on a house and the drugs found inside are locked in a lockbox, there is no additional charge for the lockbox. If I catch someone with a blown glass smoking pipe with burnt marijuana residue, they'll get charged, but if they have a pipe that hasn't been smoked, then I'm going no further without other evidence lending corroboration as to it's intended use.

This sounds to me like a law leaning heavily to a seizure/asset forfeiture agenda.

The key here is it's been used for narcotics.

•MOTOR51•

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    So the violation for the stop was legit, not BS.

And he couldn't get a warrant without some PC.

•MOTOR51•

I've personally heard a police officer bluff a suspect into letting him search their car with that same exact line some years back. It was very effective. No idea what they would have done if he had called their bluff, but I've heard it with my own ears.

FWIW, they did retrieve some drugs and a firearm from the car.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I've personally heard a police officer bluff a suspect into letting him search their car with that same exact line some years back. It was very effective. No idea what they would have done if he had called their bluff, but I've heard it with my own ears.

Was it a parked car? At a residence? Or was it a traffic stop.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Hope no one in Ohio gets the bright idea to install a "secret compartment" to lock their firearm in when they leave it in the vehicle. :dogkeke:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Hope no one in Ohio gets the bright idea to install a "secret compartment" to lock their firearm in when they leave it in the vehicle. :dogkeke:

Why is everyone missing the part about "narcotics". No where did it mention u couldn't have one for legal purposes. Just don't transport drugs and you won't have a problem.

•MOTOR51•

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

How can it be a bluff if you do not know what would Happen if they refused? I have used that before but I wasn't bluffing.

•MOTOR51•

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Good question. It was parked in a parking lot on commercial property and the guy was acting stupid.

Then what you witnessed has no bearing on what I or Motor51 was talking about; Which was search and seizure case law as it applies to vehicles stopped in a traffic stop. Vehicles that the officer did not witness moving, abandoned, etc on private property trigger a different set of more restrictive requirements. In that case, yes you would need a search warrant to search a parked and locked car on private property.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Legit, yes, 61 in a 60 IS speeding, im sure they weren't profiled!! And police always tell the truth

So he was stopped for going 61 in 60?

I'm sure the stop was recorded on dash cam. Have ya'll made a complaint and triggered an investigation?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom