DWI tests refusal not allowed in JP, St. Tammany this weekend (POLL)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is forcing blood tests going too far?

• Yes

Votes: 112 74.2%
    • No

Votes: 28 18.5%
    • I don't care, give me my pie!

Votes: 11 7.3%

• Total voters

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    And if you get stopped, do you think the offier/deputy/trooper will smell the beer and ask you if you have been drinking?

To which you will reply, "I only had one".....

Do you expect them to believe you?
    Maybe they will go ask those people who know you.

See, you missed my point entirely.

Not necessarily directed at Piper here, don't think I'm saying anything he doesn't already know.

I haven't ever had this conversation since the spouse hasn't drank enough to get a mouse drunk since college. But hands down, across the board every single "drunk driving" story I've heard where the person admitted he/she was drinking and yes it was more than two beers...

They walked without a DWI. Either by being allowed to call a buddy on the roadside, cut loose for not being over the limit, or whatever. Cooperation seems to help more than hinder when you're straddling that fence.

May still get a DWI but hey, you're going to get one anyway at that point.

(Should add that typically it was a pitcher of beer on a night out, or a six pack over several hours etc. Not talking fifth of Crown and getting of scott free here. :) )

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Many courts have decided that blood is physical evidence, which can be obtained through a warrant. If they actually get a legitimate warrant, there's nothing inherently legally wrong with this.

Now the benefit of refusing will be that you have extra time for your BAC to drop while they take you in, get a warrant, etc. How much that's worth is debatable.

In my opinion, drunk driving is something that we need to make the costs so high that people finally decide to stop doing it. I know people that frequently have no problem with having a few beers and then getting behind the wheel because they're "okay to drive now" or "sobered up" or whatever BS when their BAC is more than likely over .08. People are stubborn about this and too dumb for their own good. The fact that many bars have parking lots shows that society is too easy on this type of behavior.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I worked in Bentonville Arkansas all the liquor stores just outside of Benton County had drive-thrus. It made the liquor run out of county a little quicker, of course I got to my destination before drinking.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    As for the whole one beer thing. Years ago I was pulled over for speeding, I was driving a car with a broken speedometer, so there was not much doubt in my mind I was speeding. I did however consume 2 1/2 12oz. beers over a 4 hour period before I got behind the wheel and the officer who pulled me over smelled it on me and acted on his suspicions.. My situation was compounded by the fact that I was a armed at the time.I knew I was sober but the officer did not and I was given a field sobriety test. I passed the tests with no problem but unfortunately for me this was a rookie who was out for a "big bust".

I this situation the breathalyzer was my friend, I actually demanded one. I never got it because the rookies CO showed up and talked some sense into him but I knew it would proof my innocence and that is why I asked for it.

I have mixed feelings on the DWI subject. I think people who drive drunk and injure others are dirt bags, but think the rights of others should not be violated because of other peoples stupidity.

Punishment for refusing a blood test or breathalyzer without a warrant is the equivalent of being thrown in jail for pleading the fifth.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Damn Nola, you gave that one away. :rofl:

Seriously though, you two are so cute together. :D

So finally you clue us in on reason your upset... Seeing that opposites clearly attract, it is clear you are jealous... Now which one is the question? Feeling left ouside the circle are we?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The blood test is a scientific procedure that is usually very reliable.
    The "Breathalyzer" is a terrorist deal that can be manipulated by the operator, who may also lie about it.
    Back when I was an emergency physician, I saw a number of folks falsely charged with DWI. Sad thing was that, because defending yourself is so expensive, lots of them pled guilty to something they knew they didn't do.
    I remember one old fellow who was absolutely clean, with negative blood alcohol & drug screens. I examined him in the hospital and gave him a note for his attorney, that I would testify in court for him. When a couple weeks passed, I called him to find out what was going on. He said that he had to plead guilty, because the fine was only $200; but, it would have cost him $2,500 to get an attorney. They called that "justice".
    leVieux

Top Bottom