F class championshipmatch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Just throwing this out there but what brand scopes do yall shoot in f/tr. I have a savage 223 with a 1 in 7" twist barrel that I am getting throated longer so I can seat the 80 gr sierras to the lenght I want. I have a leupold Mk 4 16x40 Scope that is going to be on top. Waiting for everything to be done so I can load, practice and compete.

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    D, Im going 27" cause do. Said he usually cuts 2" off the blank when he gets it. So I'm asking him to make the barrel as long as he can.

Peter, right now I'm runni g a millet trs-1 4-16x50 and it works for me. I'm about to dress it up soon with a us optics sn-3 3.8-22x44.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I've been using a Mark 4 4.5-14x50. I recently mounted a new US Optics 3.5-17. Some of the more experienced guys may chime in with what optics are preferred but I think you'll be just fine with that Leupy.

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    try buying a scope for 2800 to put on a rifle u paid 825 for. just remember, the better quality optics u bey the better youll see and the happier you'll be. now im not sure what type of power setting u want in a scope but super snipers work very well

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    i know that scopes help you shoot better. the guy that won the open class this past weekend, Mark Miller, was shooting his benchrest rifle with a $2400 scope. It is a Deon optics 10-60 power scope he told me he was shooting it on 50 power saturday morning and then had to shoot it on 40 power because the mirage got so bad. he was telling my he could read the numbers on the target. Mark said the scope definatly helped him win with an overall score 1187-49x. I paid $700 for my Leupold Mk 4 16x40 and that is what I am going to use.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Last weeks WINNING F-TR rifle sports a Nikon Monarch 6-20x, Nikon has since replaced it with a 6-24x.

Buck

The big advantage of the scope isn't to see the target but to see the mirage at the target.

I will ley you guys in on a big ole secret, the mirage is ALWAYS ahead of the windflags. On a typical day you should only use the flags for directional changes (if you can see mirage) like last Saturday. But if conditions are like they were on Sunday (no sun = no mirage) then use them for intensity as well (is the flag standing straight out or down at a 45). Most of you are doing what's called "Chasing the Spotter" that will work in slow changing conditions but when things switch from shot to shot you will ALWAYS be behind on the condition change and shoot a 7 or worse just like s.i.t. :D.
    I have seen the Army's top shooter at 600yds while waiting to shoot, sit looking through their spotting scope with stopwatch in hand to see what is the most prevelant conditon and how long it lasts, goes then returns, that's what reading the wind is all about.

Why do people like Bob J., Dan Z. and Gary Henry shoot cleans at 600 and beyond, it's because they are very good at reading the wind.

Buck

Last edited:

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    dont get me started on that one buck. lol, i didnt even see that gust coming. with out mirage the flags had stayed the same so i took the shot. damn i hate the wind. lol

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    well just like a wife or girlfriend, when you don't spend time with her she doesnt make your life any easier.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom