FITS range in Slidell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    over priced guns, over priced ammo, lousy service, and lying to people who dont know any better are the reasons i dont go there.

example: 1
    ruger 10/22 factory magazine
    FITS ---------- $17.99
    Slidell Arms----- $15.99 (droped to $13.99 if paid with cash and 3 bought at same time)

I also talked to a Guy, who wasbuying his first gun, that an associate at FITS told him that "Academy" was a taboo name and that Academy, Wall Mart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Ect, Ect... sold B rated guns while they had A rated guns, and that that was the reason for $150+ increase in prices :confused:

Their winchester ranger ammo is LEO only :rolleyes: Had a sign that said your commision was required to buy it.

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    Not to mention the fact that you're getting ammo at cost...

One thing that bothered me when I first went there (and I don't think ya'll do it any more). They wrote down the serial number of my pistol. That bothered me...

i wish i did get ammo at cost. i have never taken a serial number down on a gun for the range never even heard if it being done. that must have been done along time ago.

ebayareaguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Slidell,La.
    Just came back from a range session with my daughter.A pleasant outing in a climate controlled setting.There were no unexpected fees,2 shooters x 1 hour each and 2 targets $23.94.No ammo inspection either,just check in and shoot.I even shot my 45 win mag without any complaints.In all a good hour of bonding between father and daughter.

brc34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    NorthShore
    I've Shot at FITS many times. I've never had any problems...I dont know what there beef is with the Monarch Ammo...Its made by PPU Prvi Patizan..Its really good ammo..
    Thats my only complaint..

rossdout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    yeh why no monarch? that just sounds like a bs way for them to overcharge you on their ammo instead of letting you get it for cheap. Ill stick with honey island

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    yeh why no monarch? that just sounds like a bs way for them to overcharge you on their ammo instead of letting you get it for cheap. Ill stick with honey island

They have no problem with WWB or Federal's Champion ammo.

They are a business. They are there to make a profit. No local small business can compete with Wally World or Academy. Yes, the ammo is a tad more expensive and the range fee isn't cheap, but I really like shooting in the A/C.

JMHO.

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA
    I've Shot at FITS many times. I've never had any problems...I dont know what there beef is with the Monarch Ammo...Its made by PPU Prvi Patizan..Its really good ammo..
    Thats my only complaint..

the reason we dont allow monarch is we have had alot of squib loads with this off brand of privi patizan. more than normal amount so from a safety stand point we dont allow it.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA

They are a business. They are there to make a profit. No local small business can compete with Wally World or Academy. Yes, the ammo is a tad more expensive and the range fee isn't cheap, but I really like shooting in the A/C.

JMHO.

A tad bit more expensive is the understatement of the year. A box of .45 target loads was $36.00 thats almost $21 more per box than Walmart. I can understand a few bucks more but that is ridiculous.

As far as the range fees, $11 an hr is fair to me since the place is nice, well ventilated, and air conditioned.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Good range. I shoot once per week. Membership is $ 125.00 per year and it drops your range fee from $ 11.00 to $ 6.00

If you shoot there 25 times per year, you're even.

Yeah, no Monarch ammo - and one other one I think, and no reloads.

And there is a real gunsmith on premises. Friendly staff also.

Yes ammo costs are at a premium. I shoot .40 and get factory rounds for around $ .30 per round - same ammo there is around
    $ .52 per round - buy a case and get free shipping TargetSportsUSA.com, and Palmetto State Armory has free shipping for a few more weeks on ANY size order.

Last edited:

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA

JMHO.

the a/c is real nice to shoot in.

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Maybe you should build you own?

If anyone has a problem with FITS indoor range then maybe they should get a group together and build one. Then I think they will appreciate what FITS has. I have never been there but I know of the hassel they had trying to get it built.

One accident there and you can just about see it fold up. So if they have restrictions its because they want to avoid any problems that could shut them down. Also insurance won't stop a city or Parish council from closing their doors.

So the choices are: outdoors at Honey Island, FITS, Precission or the few others in the area. We should be greatful that FITS is there.

Finally if you have an issue go talk to them. Trashing a business on a Forum is in poor taste.

No now trash me! I won't loose business because of it!

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    blatantly lying to someone, especially a business blatantly lying to its customers is in poor taste. this little gem is exactly what one of the idiots at fits told me when i was 18 and brought my AR in there to shoot when i first got it. i thought the dude was telling the truth because i was 18 and didnt know any better. i thought my awesome tacti-cool AR was going to blow up on me the next time i fired it. thankfully i had enough common sense and after doing some research, saw through his ********

example: 1
    ruger 10/22 factory magazine
    FITS ---------- $17.99
    Slidell Arms----- $15.99 (droped to $13.99 if paid with cash and 3 bought at same time)

I also talked to a Guy, who wasbuying his first gun, that an associate at FITS told him that "Academy" was a taboo name and that Academy, Wall Mart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Ect, Ect... sold B rated guns while they had A rated guns, and that that was the reason for $150+ increase in prices

the only thing ive bought from them since was a 5 dollar AR stock wrench and that was only because i needed it right then. if they want more business they should stop price gouging have not have shitty customer service.

/rant

edit - he asked me where i got it and i told him academy (i used to work there)

Last edited:

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    The range itself is nice. The people are strict, but hey I kinda don't blame them. It is expensive though, and for some strange reason it always ends up costing more than you think.

I usually drive to Shooter's Club instead, it's almost the same distance, and I like the atmosphere alot better.

I shoot weekly, and get the same number of targets every time. My fee/cost is EXACTLY THE SAME EVERY TIME.

i bought a P226 from them, and it was a tad pricey - but their price was well within range of prices i have seen online. Very nice thing, i didn't have to buy a very expensive gun online - had a human (actually 2) explain how to take down gun (showed me twice).

I'm glad they are where they are - never been to Honey Island, but does not sound like a walk in the park in August (or late January either)

Also, I have NEVER been told anything about bring my own ammo - never a hint of "why don't you buy from us". I buy in case volume, and they know it (I told them). They didn't get pissed or even raise an eyebrow. Glad there is a really nice place in Slidell.

Good job guys @ FITS (and owner) - always a comfortable shoot.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I will not shoot at FITS, so it does nothing for me to be 'grateful' for them. I do not think they operate their business in such a way that deserves my money, especially after the amount they took from me for ONE outting that I was not expecting. I was not impressed with them up to that point and that was the tipping point. To each his own; I'd rather be in the heat all day for an honest $6 than in there.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I don't think I've ever had a problem with FITS. My first experience with them was signing up for the conceal carry course (no refunds allowed) then changing my mind and them happily issuing me store credit afterwards.

Sure the prices are a little high but that's what happens with a small store that doesn't buy in enough bulk for massive discounts :dunno: You don't have to buy their ammo, just bring your own and use the range.

I've shot there many times in the past few years. I don't know what it is though but I always leave with a headache. That would be my only complaint. Maybe it's because I'm breathing in too much gunk with it being indoors or maybe it's how much louder the shots are in a smaller space (vs shooting outdoors). But it never fails every time I spend an hour there I'm suffering for at least 2 hours with a horrible headache :(

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    My 2 cents worth....
    I've shot there a bunch and brought my wife and daughter there several times. The guys at FITS never been anything but professional and courteous to me and my family. They've never gone through my range bag, never taken any serial numbers, never over-charged me (and yes, I do look at my receipts) and never given me any crap about anything. I kind of like it that so many of you don't like going there.... keeps my wait time for a lane to a minimum!!!!
    And yeah, I like shooting in the A/C too!

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    I don't think I've ever had a problem with FITS. My first experience with them was signing up for the conceal carry course (no refunds allowed) then changing my mind and them happily issuing me store credit afterwards.

Sure the prices are a little high but that's what happens with a small store that doesn't buy in enough bulk for massive discounts :dunno: You don't have to buy their ammo, just bring your own and use the range.

I've shot there many times in the past few years. I don't know what it is though but I always leave with a headache. That would be my only complaint. Maybe it's because I'm breathing in too much gunk with it being indoors or maybe it's how much louder the shots are in a smaller space (vs shooting outdoors). But it never fails every time I spend an hour there I'm suffering for at least 2 hours with a horrible headache :(

Same here. I always get a headache there, but its nice to have a rainy day option if your wanting to shoot.

sigfan556

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    slidell,LA

i work there as most of you know and i get the same thing it cant be the ventilation must be the loud bang of being indoors.

Top Bottom