French Quarter is not a safe zone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    so... avoiding the above topic...

Jerry V on WRNO the last few mornings has been talking about the shootings on Bourbon. One of the local politicians is working on a plan to have Bourbon as a closed off area. He wants to set up turnstyles with metal detectors for people to enter. Part of the discussion was that if you have a CCW you can still enter...
    I didn't catch the whole thing but I don't see it working.
    Better idea would be to make it open to stop and frisk in the quarter. Let the police have a bit more leeway in doing searches (within reason).

Just a random thought... why don't police have a handheld metal detector as part of their gear, at least in their cars?

You can't stop and frisk everyone. Too many people.

Metal detectors will be too expensive. Plus, each one will need someone to man it. Also too expensive.

Cops can't just walk around and wand everyone then ask to see what's making it go off without probable cause for the wanding.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Not surprising... The 4.99 8 piece at the Triple S is a hell of a deal, but I ain't driving over there to get it, and it's only 20 minutes from my house. I'm sure your perp is familiar with the Triple S. He probably got $230 for being falsely arrested during the protests! He was probably just hyped up on fried chicken and Kool-aid when he went to NO.

Nobody gets between me and my fried chicken! NOBODY!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    so... avoiding the above topic...

Jerry V on WRNO the last few mornings has been talking about the shootings on Bourbon. One of the local politicians is working on a plan to have Bourbon as a closed off area. He wants to set up turnstyles with metal detectors for people to enter. Part of the discussion was that if you have a CCW you can still enter...
    I didn't catch the whole thing but I don't see it working.
    Better idea would be to make it open to stop and frisk in the quarter. Let the police have a bit more leeway in doing searches (within reason).

Just a random thought... why don't police have a handheld metal detector as part of their gear, at least in their cars?

Sometimes Jerry V makes me think about doing some R&D work on a "punch them through the radio" device. :dogkeke:

I don't care for the above idea, myself. Can you imagine being a CHP holder going through a metal detector line and having to produce your permit- in the middle of that area? Now every drunken POS around you knows you are carrying. No thanks. :doh:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Sometimes Jerry V makes me think about doing some R&D work on a "punch them through the radio" device. :dogkeke:

I don't care for the above idea, myself. Can you imagine being a CHP holder going through a metal detector line and having to produce your permit- in the middle of that area? Now every drunken POS around you knows you are carrying. No thanks. :doh:

it's a terrible idea...in practice and in civil rights theory.

Hey, if you make any headway on the "punch them through the radio" tech...let me know!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Jerry V and Tommy Tucker are imbeciles. Morning radio in the metro NOLA area is pretty bad off.

JR1572

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    it's a terrible idea...in practice and in civil rights theory.

Hey, if you make any headway on the "punch them through the radio" tech...let me know!

Deal. If I can make it work, everyone in this thread is in for some of the action if they want it. :dogkeke:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Jade is not being a hypocrite...in order for him to be a hypocrite, he would have to simultaneously poke fun at people who leave the city by 3p or earlier while he also leaves the city by 3p or earlier.

Having said that, we all have varying degrees of comfort...to each their own.

Thanks!! Definitely agree though, people should do what they want, no skin off my back if they don't go to NO.

Couple that with the fact that also yesterday I got in the mail a $75.00 love note from the city for doing 27mph in a 20mph zone at 4:31 pm in near-night conditions on Canal at St. Patrick (G.F. treated me to dinner for birthday), and I can no longer defend them as I did. And I grew up there. :(

That sort of garbage is so irritating. One of my friends is a psychiatrist and got 3 of those on henry clay while working at Children's. And she's not a speeder, just trying to get to work to help kids. Pathetic. It's just a tax on normal people with money. :curse: Little stuff like that really makes you resent a town. Same thing with places like Westwego, but I can't think of any good reasons to want to go to Westwego... :rofl:

You can't stop and frisk everyone. Too many people.

Metal detectors will be too expensive. Plus, each one will need someone to man it. Also too expensive.

Cops can't just walk around and wand everyone then ask to see what's making it go off without probable cause for the wanding.

You don't have to stop and frisk everybody, but you could put a very large chill on guns, drugs, etc. on bourbon by stopping and frisking more people than they do already. If there's one thing we learned over this election, it's RUDY GIULIANI STOP AND FRISK CHAMPION NEW YORK something something.

Agreed, metal detectors too expensive, going to have that out in the rain 24hrs? City going to have to buy french quarter real estate to house this stuff? And how the hell do you completely fence in bourbon? :confused:

They keep me entertained for the 10-15 minute ride to work in the morning.

Me too. W&J is a little low brow but it's entertaining. Some guys on here are just no fun. :p

Top Bottom