GMRS radio's, anyone else ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    I have 3 meshtastics, here is a funny, I have been in it long enough to still have boards flashed with the old FW that does not allow the new app to work. lol I have used it for a few miles in Ms at the camp..
    its slow, but it did send.
    I will have a gateway node up eventually at the house to support internet link routing.
    Im not sure if you’ve seen some of the newer boards out there but from the limited research i have done, this meshtastic thing seems like the future of grid down communication if enough people set up the infrastructure. It also helps that the frequency it transmits on is virtually impossible to narrow in on if you were concerned about lets say… radio direction finding.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Im not sure if you’ve seen some of the newer boards out there but from the limited research i have done, this meshtastic thing seems like the future of grid down communication if enough people set up the infrastructure. It also helps that the frequency it transmits on is virtually impossible to narrow in on if you were concerned about lets say… radio direction finding.
    What is the effective range from these nodes?

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    What is the effective range from these nodes?
    Thats a complicated question, much like radios (because these are essentially just radios) it depends on a few factors, what dbi antenna you install, your local topography/ obstructions, and along the same lines how high you mount your device. Almost all devices will drop off at around 10-12 miles (something like that excuse me if i am wrong) due to the curvature of the earth. BUT the main difference, where meshtastic shines.. is even though it may lose line of sight with one device.. so long as you place another one where it CAN communicate between the two.. your overall network stays intact.. thus greatly increasing your range. To a VERY far range if you had enough nodes perfectly placed.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Got my GMRS license back in Feb. but the closest repeater is in BR, about 40 miles away. Line of sight and interference makes it hard to transmit and there is something bleeding over channels 3, 17 and 18, in/around Breaux Bridge. I have a post about it on mygmrs, but no one seems to know what it is, although, many are experiencing the same noise across the country. I built a +12db Yagi, a couple weeks ago and I am able to hear the two repeaters on the west side of BR, loudly, but I don't have enough power to transmit and have them hear me. I am thinking about getting an actual base station @50w, instead of the handheld UV-9G @5w.

I was in Metarie, the other day, and there were active conversations going on from all over the country. Seems to be a pretty small group of people, as they all knew each other by name.

There are no GMRS repeaters in my area, although, there is a pretty active HAM network on 2m. Sounds like a bunch of old grandpas on there, though . Might be an option. Seemed to propagate well. I am about 20 miles from the tower and I could hear them perfectly fine.

As for using this type of radio for SHTF comms, I wouldn't count on GMRS for long-range anything. 2-3 miles is pushing it for anything handheld and 462 & 467mhz is not really good at long-range comms; you need something with a longer wave. A CB with a 100-500w amp would be better, although, it's currently illegal to use (SHTF, AROL, right?). CB comms sit around the 10m band, I think, so they are more apt to skip and penetrate through stuff. Only issue is the yo-yo's in California, Arizona, Tennessee and everywhere else with 5000 watt base stations, blasting across the channels, trying to drown each other out. I know there is a HAM tower in Parks, La, 1k feet up, on the 70cm band, with pretty good coverage. More to consider, you still have to get/build an antenna in the range you want to use. Not just any antenna will work. A 70cm antenna won't work in 160m. The good thing about the lower bands, is, the antennas are more forgiving and can be less complex. There are also radios you can modify to use almost any frequency, I believe. It's called the MARS mod. For secure SHTF, I would look into something with AES encryption and pirating an ex-government tower on LMRS or something like that (again, SHTF, AROL, right?). It wouldn't be long range, but it depends on your needs and SIGINT. We could dive really deep into OPSEC and SIGINT with all this, too.

If the internet goes down, those internet capable repeaters aren't going to do much and, what are we going to do about power?
    What repeater are you hearing the old grandpas on?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have 3 meshtastics, here is a funny, I have been in it long enough to still have boards flashed with the old FW that does not allow the new app to work. lol I have used it for a few miles in Ms at the camp..
    its slow, but it did send.
    I will have a gateway node up eventually at the house to support internet link routing.
    Again, maybe a dumb question, but what are you doing with these meshtastic devices?

I added the above video to my "watch later" playlist.

Thats a complicated question, much like radios (because these are essentially just radios) it depends on a few factors, what dbi antenna you install, your local topography/ obstructions, and along the same lines how high you mount your device. Almost all devices will drop off at around 10-12 miles (something like that excuse me if i am wrong) due to the curvature of the earth. BUT the main difference, where meshtastic shines.. is even though it may lose line of sight with one device.. so long as you place another one where it CAN communicate between the two.. your overall network stays intact.. thus greatly increasing your range. To a VERY far range if you had enough nodes perfectly placed.
    Wow, that's a lot further range than I expected.

Just ordered the 2 GMRS radios in the 2nd link I shared, above. I also paid the $35 fee to the gov for permission to transmit.

Another question - is anyone really monitoring GMRS frequencies to see if folks are transmitting without a license? I imagine it'd be almost like a needle in a haystack.

I ask because I have a few friends that I wouldn't be opposed to giving radios to, but I doubt I'll easily convince them to pay $35 to the gov.

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Again, maybe a dumb question, but what are you doing with these meshtastic devices?

Just ordered the 2 GMRS radios in the 2nd link I shared, above. I also paid the $35 fee to the gov for permission to transmit.

Another question - is anyone really monitoring GMRS frequencies to see if folks are transmitting without a license? I imagine it'd be almost like a needle in a haystack.

I ask because I have a few friends that I wouldn't be opposed to giving radios to, but I doubt I'll easily convince them to pay $35 to the gov.
    You use these devices in conjunction with the phone you already have in your pocket. Either with the App “MeshTastic” from the appstore or the device itself is capable of sending messages on select models. With only needing bluetooth connection to one node, you are capable of transmitting these text messages across ALL of your nodes in your network. I have heard the other use is extending wifi across the same signal, but i don’t know how well this works.

My use for this is bringing these nodes on lets say a camping/hunting trip. I have all of my buddies take a node. They pair their devices to the nodes creating a network between all of us. We then, through plugins for the App ATAK are capable of connecting our devices through these nodes alone, without wifi, without signal, solely using the 915mhz network we all just created. To send messages and have realtime GPS tracking provided through the ATAK application. Requiring no license to use. For the $35 you pay for the GMRS license you could purchase a simple Lilygo Tbeam.

To your question of tracking or anyone being able to find you with GMRS. The tech is definitely out there to narrow in on a frequency that is hogging up the line. Radio DF’s or Radio Direction Finding is what i believe they are called. BUT more than likely another HAM user would need to complain to the FCC about someone using or abusing the frequency. A buddy who went to school for this radio stuff basically explained to me, if your static in one location chirping over and over again, you may have an issue, but if you are transmitting from one location… moving… then transmitting again… it makes it very hard to pinpoint where that frequency is coming from.

FOR HAM GUYS: Im not advocating for anyone to abuse the GMRS or FRS frequencies by any means, this is just reality of radios and this hobby as it has been explained to me. If i am wrong please educate me.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I need to revisit them.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan

Not dumb. just wanted to see what it's about. We sent texts back and forth with no cellular service on. It also has a compass to show where the nodes are if you don't know. Just experiments .
    Certainly could use it for grid down , for slow speed telemetry, like weather stations , controllers like needed to turn on or off relays.
    The boards originally were sourced from smart meters when we started .

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    I have been looking at these and you can share your GPS location providing the other person has the same radio in your family or freinds ?

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    You shoul have no issues, there are two main ones that i know in BR and the Roadkill Nola is very good. I have a range from Houston to Michigan to Florida to North Alabama

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You shoul have no issues, there are two main ones that i know in BR and the Roadkill Nola is very good. I have a range from Houston to Michigan to Florida to North Alabama
    Got any links on how exactly to connect to the Roadkill network?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Got my callsign this AM, now I just need the radio to come in.

Next hurdle will be seeing if I can reach any repeaters.
    In Baton Rouge there is the 462.675 tx with a 311 digital tone.
    In Livingston there is a good one 462.7000 tx with a 156.7 Hz tone.
    You should be able to hit those

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom