help selecting a concealble 9mm handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MadJax

Pragmatist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Covington LA
    I am relatively new to guns and have little knowledge on them so I ask those who do for advice.
    I currently own only a mosin nagant but want a companion side arm for it in survival situations though I doubt id find myself in one I know people who have and I'd like to be prepared in case.
    Mainly I would use it for more practical self defense reasons and primarily keep it in my car and nightstand but might carry it though dangerous areas. I want a concealble 9mm because my hands are small, like that 9mm is affordable but still lethal enough, favor high capacity and would like the option to comfortably and discretely carry.

My primary criteria in order of importance is reliability, price, accuracy and capacity.

I don't need the newest customizable tac driver I love basic utilitarian things and desire a gun that can withstand extensive use and neglect without a failure to fire not that I intend to neglect it I mearly don't want to obsess over maintenance.
    Also the gun must be able to handle any brand or grain of 9mm.

price is a strong limiting factor as I like everyone else am on a budget but my gun budget is probably smaller than most gun owners I have different priorities right now as such my maximum handgun budget is 500$ but I'd prefer to keep it in the 300 to 400$ range., I understand some think finding a quality pistol at such a range is unrealistic I'm asking those who don't.

Accuracy is not as important to me as i believe accuracy to be more dependent on the shooter however I have only little range time so far and poor eyesight (born with cataracts, sensitive to light and stigmatisum) so an inherently accurate gun for close to mid range to compansate would be useful.

Capacity is still important to me but not as much.
    I'd prefer a capacity as high as 12 to 15 big but not to high to be cumbersome to conceal.
    if the first three criteria are met I'm willing to sacrifice capacity.

I done a bit of research and found two ideal options

the first is the ruger sr9c which is mostly highly reviewed but seems to get bashed for being a ruger in fact my brother who'd I'd consider an enthusiast to know about guns is adamantly against anything ruger saying it's like the Ford of guns.
    I'm not informed enough to know if either comment is warranted. And my brother has admitted he can be a gun snob.

the other one is the smith and Wesson 5960 which is an older s&w 9mm but despite that and a past recall it still comes highly recommended from what I've found.
    This one appears perfect for me but I haven't been able to find enough info on it to clear all doubt., what I do know about it is that it's all Metal not polymer and has been used by some law enforcement agencies which says something on its own.

While I someday plan on getting more guns after this pistol I won't be buying any for a long time at lest 3 years so I want something reliable but won't break the bank.
    I would like any opinions on my current considerations as well as any other suggestions.
    finally thank you for any advice and for simply reading this long.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Based in your criteria, my first recommendation would be the glock 26. Second would be the m&p shield. And 3rd would be the beretta nano.

All of these can easily be concealed, the nano is the smallest, the glock is the fattest, and the shield has the longest grip.
    The glock has the capacity your looking for, but is going to be the more expensive one of the three. All of the three are going to be more than accurate enough. It really comes down to which one you like the feel of, has holsters that fit your needs, and which one you can find at a reasonable price.

Just my $.2

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I would say a G-19. I've picked them up used for $375.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadJax

Pragmatist
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2014
    Covington LA
    Thanks for your suggestions I'l check those out.
    I'm not interested in glocks even though there are very good guns I just don't like the feel in my hand of them.
    Your not the first to suggest the m&p shield which I'm am actually considering, the berratta nano looks good but is a bit on the high end of my price range from where I've looked.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if you're looking for something Glock-ish with better ergonomics, check out the walther P99. Feels wonderful in the hand and a used one may fall in your range if you look hard enough.

fyi your entire post can be summed up with the feature list of a Glock 19- have you tried alternating the backstrap or adding grips?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Really, with your price point, and suggested use you'll probably look for something in the "compact" category. Full size is impractical to carry, and you won't want a pocket gun if the SHTF. The Glock 19 is the ideal candidate, however like you, I don't like the grip angle. There are ways to do grip reductions, but, I prefer to leave my guns alone to retain value. With that said, I didn't have as many issues with the Glock 26, as I was able to tuck my pinky under the magazine and have a comfortable shooting grip. Some other alternatives are the M&P 9 Compact, and the Ruger SR9c. Also, if you're willing to look past the capacity loss and gain the rock solid reliability, look into some revolvers. Anyway, all of this is just my opinion. I sincerely hope it helps!

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I love my m&p shield. Only downside is low mag capacity, but it's better than leaving my glock 19 in the truck.

Can realistically be had for $400 and less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Glock 19. That how it feels stuff is pointless, you aren't carrying a gun to be comfortable when you shoot it, you are carrying a gun for self defense. The g19 is the best tool for the job

2011ERIC

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Belle Chasse, La
    I personally prefer the Glock 19 for concealed carry. Over the years I found that it has the best balance of concealability, light weight, capacity and accuracy. I also own a M&P Sheild 9mm and a Glock 26 that I carry occasionaly. My second prefernce is the Shield. These are not the only nice guns out there that will suit your purpose. Try as many as you can. If you like stainless steel, single stack guns, try finding a Smith and Wesson 3913. They are very fine guns.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I currently own only a mosin nagant but want a companion side arm for it in survival situations though I doubt id find myself in one I know people who have and I'd like to be prepared in case.

If this^ is what you really believe, and unless you are competing with aggressive deer and squirrels, you are going to die quickly in a survival situation. Particularly when the foe shows up with a rifle and a chest rig full of 30 round mags!

And judging by your statements, you sound like you will be joining the "concealed is concealed" crowd. You never mentioned a CC permit?!? Which is fine by me, but you'd better consider consequences of getting caught concealing without it.

You want reliability? You need a tier 1 manufacturer. Glock, Sig, Khar, S&W, etc., etc. On a budget? I would buy a used tier 1 gun before I bought a cheaper NIB lessor brand for my personal defense. Capacity trumps a lot of considerations for me, but I will have to disagree just ever so slightly with Jack on the size of the grip, and only because if you cannot capably handle the gun you choose with your admittedly smaller hands, you may have more trouble in that moment of truth than it's worth. That is where the "personal physical considerations" come in to play.

I'm endorsing the G-19 here too.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you're looking for inexpensive and built like a tank a used P series Ruger is a good option as well.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I really like my Shield. The only reason I chose it over the 19 is the width, which I'm starting to reconsider. Most of my summer clothes don't leave a whole lot of room, but I'm finding that the grip length is what usually causes printing, not width. I carry most of the time with the flush mag to help with that, which cuts capacity to 7+1. A 19 would be the same length as my 8-rd mag, but hold 15+1. Don't know if I want to have both or trade the Shield.

Look at the M&P, XD, and PPQ if the only thing you don't like about the Glock is the grip.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom