help selecting a concealble 9mm handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I like Yeager's take on it... all handguns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be 9mm, and all 9mm Glocks should be Glock 19s.

But, then there is the issue that Glocks don't fit everyone. The OP said he has small hands, which indicates a Glock very well might not fit his hand well.

I like and carry Glocks, but find the M&P or XD fit more hand sizes.

I would suggest renting and shooting before buy buying if possible. If you have to use a gun defensively, you need something that is efficient for you.

Most of my newer students choose a M&P out of these three.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yeah when I asked I was hoping for more variation maybe it's my fault for not directly saying I don't like glocks (I know is sacraligous to many)
    when I ask people in person this they mostly say glock, m&p , or ruger

Even if you said you hated Glocks my opinion would still be a Glock. Why would I change my opinion based on what you like?

You feel your shooting is better with a smaller gun but how about reloads?
    How fast can you clear a malfunction?
    I ask because "you" said a couple times that this gun could be used in a SHTF situation "even unlikely". Do you really wanna be reloading a mouse gun if your being attacked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    You could try out a glock 19 Gen 4 without the back straps they are smaller than other guns.

I didn't like the grip angle either when I started out because I was used to shooting a friend's 1911 which he is still fond of points naturally etc. The issue is choosing something that will get the job done.

In other words I wouldn't give you a framing hammer to bust up concrete. I learned to shoot my 17 weird grip angle and all and though people may think glock is some sort of cult following they make a very good handgun with all the qualities you are looking for. So many suggest this gun not because they own one but because you can trust your life on it. That speaks volumes to many on this board that are police officers and ccw permit holders.

I bought a 19 a few months ago now and it's what I will be carrying. It's not fanboism or anything of the sort. I think it will get the job done if the need arises and I can trust my life on it.

Getting a gun because it feels good in your hands should be the last thing on your list even if you don't want to get a 19. If you ever want to try a 19 Gen 4 out let me know threw pm etc just bring the ammo and you can use mine at the range.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah when I asked I was hoping for more variation maybe it's my fault for not directly saying I don't like glocks (I know is sacraligous to many)
    when I ask people in person this they mostly say glock, m&p , or ruger

Let me tell you why your logic is flawed. Other than the small hands issue, and only that; you need to listen to what is being told to you. I have endorsed the G-19 after 8+ years of carrying a Sig P229 everyday, every where I went. I will NEVER disparage the Sig; it is a masterpiece! However, every sensible and practical advantage to a personal defense gun points to the G-19. There are quantifiable reasons other than people's opinions. I would hazard a guess that many people here that also endorse the G-19 couldn't tell you the practical reasons (as far as the best personal/self defense), other than it's what a buddy told them.

At this point, the only legitimate complaint you can still have against the G-19 is how it fits in your hands. How small can they be?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    You could try out a glock 19 Gen 4 without the back straps they are smaller than other guns.
    Getting a gun because it feels good in your hands should be the last thing on your list even if you don't want to get a 19. If you ever want to try a 19 Gen 4 out let me know threw pm etc just bring the ammo and you can use mine at the range.
    Feels good no, but fits, yes.

Too many people own guns that are inefficient for them. If you have short fat fingers, then even a Gen 4 Glock and no back straps, you will still have issues with dropping the magazine. The result is you having to change your grip dramatically. If you can't reach the trigger properly, then you end up changing your grip of compensate. This places the recoil more on your thumb than on your forearm.

Fit is very important in being able to use the gun efficiently. I only recommend modern striker fired handguns without thumb safeties.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Let me tell you why your logic is flawed. Other than the small hands issue, and only that; you need to listen to what is being told to you. I have endorsed the G-19 after 8+ years of carrying a Sig P229 everyday, every where I went. I will NEVER disparage the Sig; it is a masterpiece! However, every sensible and practical advantage to a personal defense gun points to the G-19. There are quantifiable reasons other than people's opinions. I would hazard a guess that many people here that also endorse the G-19 couldn't tell you the practical reasons (as far as the best personal/self defense), other than it's what a buddy told them.

At this point, the only legitimate complaint you can still have against the G-19 is how it fits in your hands. How small can they be?

The first gun I ever bought was a G-19 because a buddy told me to then I sold it because I didn't understand why it was so good. So I started the hunt for the best handgun: "not in order" R p95, B 92, G 27, M&P 9, 1911 after 1911 after 1911 lol, G 26, G 17 and now back to the G 19.

My 13 year old daughter has thousands of rounds though her G19 and her hands are small.
    My wife has been carrying her G-23 everyday for 10 years and her hands are small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    watch
    Feels good no, but fits, yes.

Too many people own guns that are inefficient for them. If you have short fat fingers, then even a Gen 4 Glock and no back straps, you will still have issues with dropping the magazine. The result is you having to change your grip dramatically. If you can't reach the trigger properly, then you end up changing your grip of compensate. This places the recoil more on your thumb than on your forearm.

Fit is very important in being able to use the gun efficiently. I only recommend modern striker fired handguns without thumb safeties.

I get where you're coming from Barret I just haven't seen someone with hands that small though even with my wife's hands which are very small seems to be able to manipulate it well. Guess that's where I'm coming from no offense meant I just find it hard to believe unless your a little person that it wouldn't fit.

Sorry couldn't resist this...

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM&feature=kp[/ame]

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The first gun I ever bought was a G-19 because a buddy told me to then I sold it because I didn't understand why it was so good. So I started the hunt for the best handgun: "not in order" R p95, B 92, G 27, M&P 9, 1911 after 1911 after 1911 lol, G 26, G 17 and now back to the G 19.

Wait? No Taurus in there? You bash the bull with no real world experience?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I hear people complaining about the grip angle of Glocks all the time, but that doesn't make any sense to me. It's simply a training issue- you're used to drawing and aiming a certain gun, so when you try to aim a different one, it isn't instinctive for you. A gun "points naturally" for you once you learn how to aim it. I guarantee that if you're used to the grip angle of an M&P or anything else and you put enough time in with a Glock, the Glock will "point naturally". It happened to me.

So get the 19 and learn how to use it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I hear people complaining about the grip angle of Glocks all the time, but that doesn't make any sense to me. It's simply a training issue- you're used to drawing and aiming a certain gun, so when you try to aim a different one, it isn't instinctive for you. A gun "points naturally" for you once you learn how to aim it. I guarantee that if you're used to the grip angle of an M&P or anything else and you put enough time in with a Glock, the Glock will "point naturally". It happened to me.

So get the 19 and learn how to use it.

This. The problem isn't the gun, it is the shooter. Good side, if you own a mosin nagant, you should be able to get accustomed to a glock quickly.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    GLOCK's are fine pistols and the 19 is probably the best of them in relation to size, weight, magazine, and controllability. It's not a bad suggestion at all. But these guys are always going to suggest it. GLOCK guys and 1911 guys have one thing in common, a rapid devotion to their respective preferred platform.

I'd suggest shooting a couple of different handguns before purchasing anything. You might change you mind about GLOCK or hate it. There is currently an over abundance of quality semi automatic 9 mm handgun designs that are all very good for you to choose from.

Do not ever carry a handgun on your person without a holster. That's just asking for trouble. As a paramedic I can tell you people do actually shoot themselves in the leg, abd, or privates with such bad practices.

I suggested the P series Ruger because they are tough as nails, have little collector value (so used examples can be found very cheap), and have a good reputation for reliability.

To be honest they are not the best choice but they are about as cheap as I'd go and still rely on it for self defense.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    GLOCK's are fine pistols and the 19 is probably the best of them in relation to size, weight, magazine, and controllability. It's not a bad suggestion at all. But these guys are always going to suggest it. GLOCK guys and 1911 guys have one thing in common, a rapid devotion to their respective preferred platform.

This doesn't apply to all. I am neither "Glocksucker" or 1911 "Phallic worshipper." And own both, shoot both, a lot. Arrived at my decision based on factors that pertain to my particular situation and as that applies to Concealed Carry and Self Defense advantage. Dick measuring for bragging purposes is useless to me in that regard.

Do not ever carry a handgun on your person without a holster. That's just asking for trouble. As a paramedic I can tell you people do actually shoot themselves in the leg, abd, or privates with such bad practices.

I never worried about a ND with the DA/SA I carried in my pocket for 8 years! Not once! Holsters make sense for other reasons, too.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That commercial made me lol

In honor of MadJax, from here on out I will be referring to the Glock 19 as the "Double Cheesburger". :p

And in honor of BigTatoo, I'll have no choice but to refer to my Taurus P92 as a "Double Beef Whopper". That is of course, if I ever mention it again. :mamoru:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I never worried about a ND with the DA/SA I carried in my pocket for 8 years! Not once! Holsters make sense for other reasons, too.

I've seen it happen more than once. Two of the times the person shot himself in the privates. Once through the scotum, the other time through the base of the shaft of the penis. Usually they hit themselves in the leg though as I've seen that far more often.

Personally I value my private areas more than the cost of a pocket holster. I can't put a price on your privates.

Dave

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    like most have said before G 19. i have the G22 and the walter pps .40 that i CC with. The wife with small hands loves her 740 slim yes it is the taurus and we had some problems with it at first but after she started using 135-105 gr rounds she has had no more problems. i would like to try the MandP shield just dont have the money right now.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'd put it like this....

Cost of a pocket sized handgun. $500
    Price of self defense ammunition. $50
    Price of a pocket holster. $45

Not having a bleeding hole through your junk?

Priceless

:)

Dave

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy