How is this legal? 40 cars stopped and 20 innocent people handcuffed...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Now you know why I rarely get involved with discussions on this board anymore.

Between the "constitutionalists", the "cops are always wrong" bunch, those who think Ron Paul EVER had a chance of becoming president, and the plain whack jobs... much of this place simply depresses me these days. ;)

P.S.: Thanks for the tip re that Emdom sling; she's strapped up as we speak. Your item will be enroute back to you shortly.

You left off "the cops are never wrong" and "the Gov't is never to be
    Accused unless its anti-Dem or anti-Obama" crowd.

Objectivity he has not got it.

LOL!

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've never been a cop and only worked in a limited capacity in military law enforcement so I am honestly asking this question to LEO on this board because I really want to learn something here.

I understand WHY they did what they did. My question is, did it really need to take 2 hours of being handcuffed on the side of the road to figure out these guys/girls were not the suspect?

I'm like most people here. If a cop pulled me over and said "hey, we have a suspect that escaped and his vehicle matches yours" I'd be happy to get out and let them search my car. No harm done, get back in and I'm on my way. But like Windsorfox said above, after doing that they handcuff me and set me on the side of the road for 2 hours??? Is that really necessary?

I'm honestly trying to understand what would make that necessary and if any LEO can answer that I'd be grateful.

A voice of reason.

Thank you!

Hunh Bruh

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    setting you free!
    I've never been a cop and only worked in a limited capacity in military law enforcement so I am honestly asking this question to LEO on this board because I really want to learn something here.

I understand WHY they did what they did. My question is, did it really need to take 2 hours of being handcuffed on the side of the road to figure out these guys/girls were not the suspect?

I'm like most people here. If a cop pulled me over and said "hey, we have a suspect that escaped and his vehicle matches yours" I'd be happy to get out and let them search my car. No harm done, get back in and I'm on my way. But like Windsorfox said above, after doing that they handcuff me and set me on the side of the road for 2 hours??? Is that really necessary?

I'm honestly trying to understand what would make that necessary and if any LEO can answer that I'd be grateful.

i don't know. if i take the story at face value, it sounds excessive to me. if i take kony2010 at face value it sounds like a good cause. if i take free healthcare at face value it sounds good.

i am hoping to read the followup on exactly why and how it happened and hope something is done if it was really this stupid.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Policework=tyranny?

You must be working on your "Sovereign Citizen" merit badge.

JR1572

This is typical. Your response suggests that people such as myself think that all work that police do is tyranny. This of course is not true. It is easy to picture Mjolnir wearing a "tinfoil hat" and throw comments like "Sovereign Citizen" out there. It is the tendency of the simple minded or those who choose not to think for themselves to think this way. All you have to do is look objectively at what is going on around you to see the truth.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    This is typical. Your response suggests that people such as myself think that all work that police do is tyranny. This of course is not true.
    No... it doesn't... his response suggests he is defending police work, not tyranny.

It is easy to picture Mjolnir wearing a "tinfoil hat" and throw comments like "Sovereign Citizen" out there. It is the tendency of the simple minded or those who choose not to think for themselves to think this way. All you have to do is look objectively at what is going on around you to see the truth.
    No, it is the tendency of the simple minded to repeatedly comment on others being simple minded. People like you come on to forums and make post after post after post on the same basic thing. The police are bad in x instance. While I have no problem believing that the police can and have done bad things, I simply don't possess your level of bias, and I was wondering what caused this? Do you have some direct experience where law enforcement wronged you repeatedly?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    My rights are worth more than the recovery of $2K.

Speedy, if you are working in a high-crime area, I think the citizens aren't doing their job. LEO can only do so much. One crime and you're out!

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    No... it doesn't... his response suggests he is defending police work, not tyranny.

No, it is the tendency of the simple minded to repeatedly comment on others being simple minded. People like you come on to forums and make post after post after post on the same basic thing. The police are bad in x instance. While I have no problem believing that the police can and have done bad things, I simply don't possess your level of bias, and I was wondering what caused this? Do you have some direct experience where law enforcement wronged you repeatedly?

I am A law abiding citizen who has never been arrested in my life short of speeding tickets. I have been Wronged by an over zealous police officer and as a result, of that admittedly my opinions of LE have changed. I do not think as a whole LEOs are bad, not at all. I do however believe they should be judged to a higher standard given the "power" they have been granted by the government. I do also believe that with some LEOs a sort of metamorphosis occurs where for some reason they think they "ARE THE LAW". This IMHO is dangerous and what gives LEOs a bad name.

This is a good recent example .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I am A law abiding citizen who has never been arrested in my life short of speeding tickets. I have been Wronged by an over zealous police officer and as a result, of that admittedly my opinions of LE have changed. I do not think as a whole LEOs are bad, not at all. I do however believe they should be judged to a higher standard given the "power" they have been granted by the government. I do also believe that with some LEOs a sort of metamorphosis occurs where for some reason they think they "ARE THE LAW". This IMHO is dangerous and what gives LEOs a bad name.

If you don't have an issue with all LEOs, why do you attack LEOs in nearly every thread about them? You say they should be judged to a higher standard, however I think all men are equal under the law. Maybe this is the issue, perhaps your expectations are too high to be reached. You can't expect people to make the perfect decision in every situation. In this situation I would say they made a good call overall, but were bad in the details. They were too heavy handed in the execution, but I believe they were justified in stopping and questioning them.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I would like to hear this story. Maybe it will shed light on your obvious disdain for police.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Like others.. The detention and minor search wouldn't bother me.

Since I can't say why it took two hours, I can't say if they were acting overzealously. But I would be exasperated by that point.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    They were too heavy handed in the execution, but I believe they were justified in stopping and questioning them.

Absolutely. Stopping those folks was just good, on the ball police work. They must have been on the scene remarkably fast.

But, I would love to hear the explanation of "probable cause" to SEIZE the 20 something woman with child for 2 hours, while looking for a man who robbed a bank. Gonna need a brand new pair of tap shoes.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Absolutely. Stopping those folks was just good, on the ball police work. They must have been on the scene remarkably fast.

But, I would love to hear the explanation of "probable cause" to SEIZE the 20 something woman with child for 2 hours, while looking for a man who robbed a bank. Gonna need a brand new pair of tap shoes.

You mean "reasonable suspicion" right? At the point an officer has probable cause for something they have enough to arrest somebody.

No tap shoes needed.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    You mean "reasonable suspicion" right? At the point an officer has probable cause for something they have enough to arrest somebody.

No tap shoes needed.

Thank you, sir. Unreasonable seizure it is. Tap shoes needed. :D

Probable cause relates to issuance of warrants.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Thank you, sir. Unreasonable seizure it is. Tap shoes needed. :D

Probable cause relates to issuance of warrants.

Probable cause relates to issuance of warrants AND warrantless arrests. Reasonable suspicion is whats required to stop and detain somebody under terry v ohio. Was two hours excessive? Quite possibly, i wasnt there. I dont think the pd is going to suffer any consequences though over what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom