I can't believe people are stupid enough to pay outrageous prices.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    If the cost increase is in shipping we should all chip in and buy a truckload. Take a few pickups with trailers to Illinois (or wherever ammo is made, i think remington is there) and bring a load back!

I don't know why you can't have a pallet or two delivered?

It doesn't pay for me to go,I'd just want to stop and pet deer.....

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The Canuck got it right. Not a more true explanation given. And with no definite improvement in sight, even people who are sitting on an ammo dump are still buying what they can. There are a few retailers selling ammo below the online going rate, but it’s still significantly higher than the price of last year. Nearly 2x as much for some calibers. I know that many folks have decided to get what they can now before the prices go up more and supply is less. Because that 50 cent per round 9mm is gonna look pretty good when there’s absolutely zero to be found for less than a buck per round.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I personally don't like selling ammo because it is heavy,cumbersome to carry, and profit margins are low, but I've been working in the firearms industry for over a decade now and gotta eat somehow. Nobody has paid me for my good looks yet so it's this or nothing I guess

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The Canuck got it right. Not a more true explanation given. And with no definite improvement in sight, even people who are sitting on an ammo dump are still buying what they can. There are a few retailers selling ammo below the online going rate, but it’s still significantly higher than the price of last year. Nearly 2x as much for some calibers. I know that many folks have decided to get what they can now before the prices go up more and supply is less. Because that 50 cent per round 9mm is gonna look pretty good when there’s absolutely zero to be found for less than a buck per round.

Mai,Listen at you ! It's a piece of cake for you rich guys...

The rest of us have to act like Billy in The Midnight Garden of The Good and Evil

Except with us po'folk's it's in The Midnight Garden of Good and You got any 9's Bruh?

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I unfortunately had no choice but to buy a handgun during all this bs. Had nothing to do with any fear of what was going on..just happened how it happened. So yeah,initially, I bought a few hundred rounds at a premium price...I feel I had to so I could get to the range and get some practice in. I then found HST rounds for a really great price off a member here...forgot his name..Jp or Jb something. So that was a big help. I then made the decision to buy a large amount for little over 25 a box. Jstudzinski talked me out of it and told me to get my lazy ass to Academy and that is what I did. Saved a good bit of money and got what I needed.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm as annoyed with 2020 as everyone else here, but I have a problem with the sentiment of this rant for two reasons -- both of them related to crapping on people for doing nothing wrong other than living in a free market capitalist society.

First, people buying things willingly are not stupid. We all get to make a choice about what we do and don't buy. Ammunition is not a required purchase for most of us, it's an optional one. Nobody's going into this blind. We all know it sucks, that doesn't make anyone stupid for paying market prices for stuff. It means they've decided it's worth ___ cents per round to train, play or stock up the safe.

Second, I think we're misusing the word "gouging" here. Price gouging is what happens when companies jack the prices of necessary purchases for a captive market with no options. It's remarkably unethical because it's taking advantage of people, very often when they're vulnerable. Buying guns and ammunition aren't necessary purchases and we're not a captive group of consumers. Participation in this marketplace is completely optional, entirely voluntary and the things we're talking about are nonessential. It's about parallel to charging $12 for a beer at a football game. People asking for market or above-market prices is not gouging, it's simply asking for something they may or may not even get... if nobody buys it, it's just wishful thinking.

The market always has and always will use price to balance supply and demand. If the prices suck and the pandemic sucks and it's an election year and demand is far higher than supply, we can get our feathers ruffled with the market price of ammo all we want, but nobody's doing anything malicious asking or paying whatever the current market price is. It's economics 101.

For the people that never get their barrels hot, maybe they're out 50 bucks for the security blanket of having extra box of HST's on hand. For those of us that shoot 10k+ rounds a year, this is a friggin painful experience. But there's nothing we can do about it other than wait it out, so we might as well stop crapping on each other since we're all in this together.

The only issue I have is people who say they are doing one thing while appearing to do the other. To make this as generic as possible, I've been keeping my eyes out for a particular type of weapon and I've narrowed it down to a couple of models. One similar model, the previous version of one of the models I'm looking at, is listed for sale in the ads and has already had a price drop. The new, lower price is 140% of the market value of the weapon. Granted, that weapon is out of stock everywhere. But the upgraded version is in stock and the asking price for the in the ad is still 113% of the price of the upgraded version. So I can either pay $x.xx for a brand new, from the dealer weapon or I can pay 13% more to get the previous version that the owner claims has never been fired. I have no reason to doubt that claim but still...

Like you said, at the end of the day, it comes down to capitalism. Supply and demand. I would never pay the asking price for that used weapon (if it's not being bought from a dealer, it's used, even if it hasn't been shot) in a private deal. I'd offer 60-70% of the asking price (70% is close to the actual market value) but then I'd be accused of lowballing. Sure, nobody is forced to buy the weapon. At the end of the day, the buyer should know better. But how is that not close to taking advantage of people who don't know any better?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The only issue I have is people who say they are doing one thing while appearing to do the other. To make this as generic as possible, I've been keeping my eyes out for a particular type of weapon and I've narrowed it down to a couple of models. One similar model, the previous version of one of the models I'm looking at, is listed for sale in the ads and has already had a price drop. The new, lower price is 140% of the market value of the weapon. Granted, that weapon is out of stock everywhere. But the upgraded version is in stock and the asking price for the in the ad is still 113% of the price of the upgraded version. So I can either pay $x.xx for a brand new, from the dealer weapon or I can pay 13% more to get the previous version that the owner claims has never been fired. I have no reason to doubt that claim but still...

Like you said, at the end of the day, it comes down to capitalism. Supply and demand. I would never pay the asking price for that used weapon (if it's not being bought from a dealer, it's used, even if it hasn't been shot) in a private deal. I'd offer 60-70% of the asking price (70% is close to the actual market value) but then I'd be accused of lowballing. Sure, nobody is forced to buy the weapon. At the end of the day, the buyer should know better. But how is that not close to taking advantage of people who don't know any better?

In that case, I would let the seller, pretending to be a nice guy offering a deal, sit on his overpriced gun and buy the new one. Adding insult to injury, I would buy the new one and post a new thread in the Hot Deals section.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La

You say what you are saying because you, i assume, have been in this hobby/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it for a good bit of time. So you know the prices and again..assume, you have a nice collection to hold you off. So you are in no need to pay a premium for a used gun.

The same has been happening with bicycles. People are paying new prices, sometimes more, for a used bike. There are some who will go buy a brand new high end bike knowing its hard to find and then post up for sale for profit. I would never pay what people are paying but I have the bikes I need to enjoy myself. Many dont and are caught buying at the wrong time. During Covid shutdown I got my son and I RC trucks...want to talk about no stock and people charging out the ass for used.lol...it's just now going back down to somewhat normal pricing.

If it wasn't for the Glock Blue Label I would be in a rough spot. Either pay the price for a new handgun or buy a used handgun for the price of a new one. I always do my research and I don't rush my purchases but sometimes it is what it is.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So you are in no need to pay a premium for a used gun.

I don't think he means paying a premium on a used gun. He's talking about someone advertising the used gun as a great deal when it is available new for less.

I have no issues with the wonderful free market, but it would be like telling everyone you will give them the bro-in-law deal for 9mm at $5/rd. The market will dictate what is fair. People marking up prices to make a quick buck is fine, but advertising that you have an awesome deal and getting upset when someone offers you a fair price is just silly.

It's the "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" argument.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You say what you are saying because you, i assume, have been in this hobby/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it for a good bit of time. So you know the prices and again..assume, you have a nice collection to hold you off. So you are in no need to pay a premium for a used gun.

The same has been happening with bicycles. People are paying new prices, sometimes more, for a used bike. There are some who will go buy a brand new high end bike knowing its hard to find and then post up for sale for profit. I would never pay what people are paying but I have the bikes I need to enjoy myself. Many dont and are caught buying at the wrong time. During Covid shutdown I got my son and I RC trucks...want to talk about no stock and people charging out the ass for used.lol...it's just now going back down to somewhat normal pricing.

If it wasn't for the Glock Blue Label I would be in a rough spot. Either pay the price for a new handgun or buy a used handgun for the price of a new one. I always do my research and I don't rush my purchases but sometimes it is what it is.

I also have the advantage of being in the market for that type of weapon so I've done some research on them already. Everyone should have gun.deals bookmarked. I would suggest that before buying any weapon in a private sale, a buyer should research the manufacture's website to see what other variation might be available. Then they should search for all the variations on gun.deals to get a good idea of what's available and the market value. I can then understand paying a premium for a used gun because the buyer goes into it know the price is a premium price. But like I said before, when someone offers a used gun at a premium price when the newer version is available at a cheaper price and mentions how good of a deal he's offering, I don't believe the ad falls within the scenarios you are thinking of. I'm trying to stay general here so I don't get accused of crapping on someone's ad because, at the end of the day, it's a free market. But the upgrade is a pretty big upgrade. I don't know if you are familiar with game consoles but it would be comparable to selling an unused Xbox One S that was released in 2016 for $350 when the new 2020 Xbox Series S runs $300. You're just paying more for less.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...olt-action-rifle-w-10-round-ar-style-magazine

Here you go Perez. In stock and free shipping. I dropped the price on mine when I saw that ad.
    You could also wait and see if Academy gets one and save 20 bucks and your FFL fee.

The item you linked to is model 26869. It's the upgraded version of model 6869. The 26869 takes $10 ar mags while the 6869 takes $40 Ruger 5 round rotary mags. So for $20 (plus the transfer fee) more, I wouldn't have to worry about a conversion.

https://www.georgiagunstore.com/ruger-amer-rnch-300blk-16-1-10rd-ar.html

They are also in stock there although I think they charge $25 shipping. So for about the same price ($30 less plus the $25-35 transfer fee), I wouldn't have to worry about a conversion. And according to Academy, they have the model 26968 (the upgraded version that takes AP mags) in stock at $450 in Covington, Lafayette, Alexandria, Lake Charles, and Shreveport. So for about the same price after tax, I wouldn't have to worry about the transfer fee.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I don't think he means paying a premium on a used gun. He's talking about someone advertising the used gun as a great deal when it is available new for less.

I have no issues with the wonderful free market, but it would be like telling everyone you will give them the bro-in-law deal for 9mm at $5/rd. The market will dictate what is fair. People marking up prices to make a quick buck is fine, but advertising that you have an awesome deal and getting upset when someone offers you a fair price is just silly.

It's the "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" argument.

I also have the advantage of being in the market for that type of weapon so I've done some research on them already. Everyone should have gun.deals bookmarked. I would suggest that before buying any weapon in a private sale, a buyer should research the manufacture's website to see what other variation might be available. Then they should search for all the variations on gun.deals to get a good idea of what's available and the market value. I can then understand paying a premium for a used gun because the buyer goes into it know the price is a premium price. But like I said before, when someone offers a used gun at a premium price when the newer version is available at a cheaper price and mentions how good of a deal he's offering, I don't believe the ad falls within the scenarios you are thinking of. I'm trying to stay general here so I don't get accused of crapping on someone's ad because, at the end of the day, it's a free market. But the upgrade is a pretty big upgrade. I don't know if you are familiar with game consoles but it would be comparable to selling an unused Xbox One S that was released in 2016 for $350 when the new 2020 Xbox Series S runs $300. You're just paying more for less.

Okay I get what you mean. I thought you were meaning buying a used gun for new price but the new gun isn't anywhere to be found. Yes.. Very valid point.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The item you linked to is model 26869. It's the upgraded version of model 6869. The 26869 takes $10 ar mags while the 6869 takes $40 Ruger 5 round rotary mags. So for $20 (plus the transfer fee) more, I wouldn't have to worry about a conversion.

https://www.georgiagunstore.com/ruger-amer-rnch-300blk-16-1-10rd-ar.html

They are also in stock there although I think they charge $25 shipping. So for about the same price ($30 less plus the $25-35 transfer fee), I wouldn't have to worry about a conversion. And according to Academy, they have the model 26968 (the upgraded version that takes AP mags) in stock at $450 in Covington, Lafayette, Alexandria, Lake Charles, and Shreveport. So for about the same price after tax, I wouldn't have to worry about the transfer fee.
    Well, I do see one in Covington, one in Hattiesburg, and one in Caney Texas. And yes, the one I linked to is the 26968 (I think you got the digits mixed up the first part of your post but I knew what you meant) which is the AR mag model. Is this not what you were looking for? You stated all that like i needed clarification or my post was in error. Was that not the model you were looking for? Is that not the gun you wanted?
    I mentioned Academy in my post as well, but most people know that’s a gamble once you jump in your car and head that way. Anyone can waltz in and buy that rifle. I find it a little puzzling that you’d worry so much about me selling a rifle you can’t buy anyway.

As far as the price of my rifle, I’ve listed it for what I have in it. I have the receipt from Cabela’s and I can show the cost of the extra rotary mag and yes, although I saw mention of used, the gun is still unused in the box I brought it home in. I didn’t buy it yesterday. I bought it nearly 3 years ago. I bought 2 that day as a matter of fact. If I drop the price by $50 I’ll keep the extra mag. If I don’t sell the rifle I will keep it and likely hand it down to one of my sons.

Attachments

• 54F2F9FC-A135-4424-AB91-434471EBD42D.png
      54F2F9FC-A135-4424-AB91-434471EBD42D.png
      42.9 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

I disagree with the aspect of you thinking the price should drop significantly just because it’s a private sale and not from a dealer. If I buy a gun, hold it for awhile then decide I do t like it and sell it after not every shooting it once that’s still a brand new gun and your crazy if you think anyone here probably including yourself would sell a gun for 30% less than what was posted just because it’s not coming from a dealer lol. That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard in awhile man. If I buy a $1,000 gun and then decide to sell it two days later I should sell it for $700? Cmon man sounds like your just salty about that specific gun because you’d like to get it for a deal

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, I do see one in Covington, one in Hattiesburg, and one in Caney Texas. And yes, the one I linked to is the 26968 (I think you got the digits mixed up the first part of your post but I knew what you meant) which is the AR mag model. Is this not what you were looking for? You stated all that like i needed clarification or my post was in error. Was that not the model you were looking for? Is that not the gun you wanted?
    I mentioned Academy in my post as well, but most people know that’s a gamble once you jump in your car and head that way. Anyone can waltz in and buy that rifle. I find it a little puzzling that you’d worry so much about me selling a rifle you can’t buy anyway.

You mentioned using the Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore link as the basis for your price drop. I pointed out they were different models because I didn't know if you realized they were different models. Given that you dropped the price of the previous model to right under the price of the new, current model from the dealer, it seemed reasonable you might not have not recognized they were different versions.

But yes, the 26968 is the model I would prefer. I was hoping there would have been a good Black Friday deal on them. There were some deals on some of the Ruger American models but not in 300blk. I would even settle for the 6968. It would be less convenient but it would work for a fun, suppressed range toy. But, personally, if I'm settling on the old model, it's going to be at a discount rather than a premium, especially when the new version can be had for the premium price. It would certainly have to be at the low end of the fair market value. Or below it if not bought from a dealer. But none of them were available. I don't think Ruger even produces the 6968 anymore. The old version doesn't seem to be on the Ruger site anymore.

I'm really not worried about you selling a rifle. Given all the information, I hope someone is still willing to pay your premium price. This was never about you or your ad. This was about selling a firearm at a premium when other, better options are available. Your post just happened to fit that scenario. And because I have been looking at them, I knew what they typically sold for. I never brought you up in my post. I never directly brought your ad up in my post. I never listed your asking post in my post. I never even mentioned if the weapon was a handgun or a long gun. I tried to keep the detail behind what ad I was using as a reference vague enough so that people would not have realized it was your ad. You were the one who jumped in and mentioned your ad.

So you do you. Good luck with your sale. If no one else grabs it and the price is right, I'll send you a PM. Unless you want to trade it now for a Mossberg 500. If so, send me a PM.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I disagree with the aspect of you thinking the price should drop significantly just because it’s a private sale and not from a dealer. If I buy a gun, hold it for awhile then decide I do t like it and sell it after not every shooting it once that’s still a brand new gun and your crazy if you think anyone here probably including yourself would sell a gun for 30% less than what was posted just because it’s not coming from a dealer lol.

I don't think Perez is off on this one, it's not crazy at all... it's like a car, the second you drive it off the lot it's not new anymore. You're gonna lose at least 10-15% (plus whatever you paid in taxes and FFL) if you sell something privately two hours after you bought it. 30% might be a little dramatic if the price tags are still on there, but there's just no way anyone's getting retail prices for a gun on a private sale.

All that said, unless there's some screamin deal or crazy rebates, I dunno why anyone would get excited about buying a brand new gun anyway... you gotta pay tax/FFL and feed it at least $500 worth of ammo just to get it starting to purr properly. I'd take a used gun over a new one all day long.

Top Bottom