i hate shopping for new truck/suv... help?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As stated, looking for recommendations on a truck/suv. 90% of the time my backseat is only used for luggage and its primary occupant will be my son who's still only 1, so room won't be a major selling point. I don't need a ton of power, I don't tow, but I do like the idea of being at least mildly off-road capable. This will be my "commute" vehicle, but im only 20minutes from the office, and its all highway so mpg is of little concern, but I its a bonus. So long as its 20-mpg-ish, I could care less.

Trying to do all of above for under 30.

I really, strongly, passionately hate domestic vehicles with the exception of Ford, but I'm not excluding them from my shop because the terrain impressed the hell out of me when we bought my wifes car.

Jeep Cherokee? - Limited 4x4 comes in at 29k flat. tons of little hidden compartments for guns n stuff, but havent heard anything good/bad yet. I haven't seen it in person, maybe a tad small? The terrain is about a perfect size for me personally, anyone know how this compares?

" Grand Cherokee? - same as above, with more room, but won't be as well equipped staying at the price tag I want to hang at.

Ford Explorer? - soccer mom styling imo, but ive heard great things

Wrangler Unlimited? - probably my least practical consideration, and poorly equipped at my price range as well. probably not on the list but mentioned it anyway.

orrr just start looking at an extended cab f150/ram/sierra/tacoma? Maybe a pickup is the best bang for my buck in this price range?

I hate shopping for a vehicle but alas, I'm going to have to at some point this spring. Any comments/suggestions/alternatives regarding these makes/models?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I had this same dilemma about a year ago and did a ton of research and entirely too much test driving. Out of all of the SUVs I drove, the GMC Terrain (SLE2) won by far. It rides smoother and has much better insulation which cuts out on road noise. That might sound like something silly...but it makes a huge difference and a much more pleasant drive.

I get on around 23 MPG on average. It also works find for basic off road stuff. I have had mine in mud and such and it didn't get stuck. Now, this SUV is not made for mud riding...so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are in BR and want to see mine and how it looks after a year we could meet up for burgers or whatever!

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    As stated, looking for recommendations on a truck/suv. 90% of the time my backseat is only used for luggage and its primary occupant will be my son who's still only 1, so room won't be a major selling point. I don't need a ton of power, I don't tow, but I do like the idea of being at least mildly off-road capable. This will be my "commute" vehicle, but im only 20minutes from the office, and its all highway so mpg is of little concern, but I its a bonus. So long as its 20-mpg-ish, I could care less.

Trying to do all of above for under 30.

I really, strongly, passionately hate domestic vehicles with the exception of Ford, but I'm not excluding them from my shop because the terrain impressed the hell out of me when we bought my wifes car.

Jeep Cherokee? - Limited 4x4 comes in at 29k flat. tons of little hidden compartments for guns n stuff, but havent heard anything good/bad yet. I haven't seen it in person, maybe a tad small? The terrain is about a perfect size for me personally, anyone know how this compares?

" Grand Cherokee? - same as above, with more room, but won't be as well equipped staying at the price tag I want to hang at.

Ford Explorer? - soccer mom styling imo, but ive heard great things

Wrangler Unlimited? - probably my least practical consideration, and poorly equipped at my price range as well. probably not on the list but mentioned it anyway.

orrr just start looking at an extended cab f150/ram/sierra/tacoma? Maybe a pickup is the best bang for my buck in this price range?

I hate shopping for a vehicle but alas, I'm going to have to at some point this spring. Any comments/suggestions/alternatives regarding these makes/models?

I have a 2011 extended cab F1504x4 w/5.0. 70k miles and I still love it. 20-21mpg on a trip. This may be slightly above your pricing point.
    My co-worker has a 2012 crewcab f-150 with the eco-boost. nice truck but alot of problems with it, non-motor related.

My boss is on his second Tundra crew cab. Ran the first one into the ground at over 300k miles in 5 years.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    we bought my wife a terrain last year, and I'm trying not to have 2 of the same vehicle but dang its a great truck. I tried so hard to hate GM and literally drove every other option twice. I gotta agree with you, the terrain is just incredible.

the burger or beer idea though... that could work sometime.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If i splurge, it'll be the tundra. I'm a believer in the AK, the glock, and the toyota pickup.

Really trying to stay under or at 30, and shopping for '13 or '14.

hmm. never considered the new FJ until this post. Those things worth a damn?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My dad went F150, Tundra, F150, F150, Silverado.

The Silverado is badass. I love that truck but I'll always be partial to Ford since it was what I learned to drive on/was my first vehicle.

Also, when my brother was car shopping he wanted a Grand Cherokee really bad but apparently Jeeps are known to junk out a lot (his words not mine, don't want to offend anyone here).

I have a few friends with FJs and they complain about blind spots a lot but that's really it.

Ultimately you just need to try a few out. I regret not doing that back in August.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I was shopping SUVs awhile back and I was very attracted to the 4runner and the Wrangler. However once I put any options on them I wanted they were soon $40,000 trucks, and Toyota and Jeep don't discount very much. That said, you can get a wrangler for a pretty low price point if you don't need a lot of options.

For a substantial, reliable, and relatively capable and economical truck I would probably pick the F150 ecoboost 4x4. Ecoboost gives you great power and fuel economy, easily over 20mpg, 4x4 capability and a 36 gallon tank so you'll rarely have to fill up. Also you can option one up to $35 or $40k and you know that they'll discount at least 5, 6k or more. F150s come as nice or as spartan as you want.

Right now as soon as I have a kid I think I'm going to get an F150 Raptor super crew. Sounds like an excellent family vehicle.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    jeep's reputation is my only "negative" there honestly. I'm a ford guy as well, but really not sure I want a truck as opposed to an suv. I had an f150 about 7 years ago and I never used the bed for anything but backing into random stuff. lol
    edit: OH, and helping people move...

and yeah F150 is the master of up-sell in the auto world in my opinion. A thirty second discussion turns it from a 24k truck into a 50k beast.

speaking of beast: don't drive the raptor. it'll make everything else feel like a lawnmower. that thing is incredible, but im not coughing up double my intended price range.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah I doubt I would ever use the bed except helping a friend to move, or buying some dirt and whatnot from home depot occasionally. It's basically a big heavy crumple zone if you get rear ended ;)

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ram 1500 quad cab or crew cab. I had a 2013 and loved it. Traded it for a '13 cummins. I know several guys bought one after checking mine out. Plenty of power. Off road was fine and I my mpg was great for a truck. 22-23 at 70 or better depending on wind.
    Around town easily avg 18.
    GM is having some serious recall issues right now. I have several tech friends at Chevy and my fiancés dad is a dealer manager.

Next would be the Cherokee like JWG just got or even a Durango.

If you would like something else that is really nice my moms new Santa Fe sport is awesome!! Really impressed the hell out of me. It is a 2014 hyundai Santa de sport AWD turbo. Damn good MPG and has a AWD lock option. Top 5 safety choice.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I test drove a few different trucks last year, ended up with a 2013 ram, hemi, crew cab, power everything, otd at 25600

Dodge has a vehicle finder on their website, punch in what you want and it shows what dealerships have them .

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    go ahead and get you a dodge 2500 maga cab 4x4 and be done with it for the next 20 years. and stay away for the gas burner. that way you can get the wife a sport car for the weekend and use the truck for family stuff. the 2500 diesel will do just about anything you want it to do. haul, pull, carry, just plain fun to drive. and still get 20+ mpg.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I test drove a few different trucks last year, ended up with a 2013 ram, hemi, crew cab, power everything, otd at 25600

Yep. You and Nate both. Several others pm'd me about my truck. I loved it. All around good truck. You can get a 4x4 under $30k too with some haggle.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    may have to reconsider those rams then. i'll take a peek.

is the durango a RAM-equivalent, or a dodge crossover? I dont want a "truck" on a dart chassis lol

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yep. You and Nate both. Several others pm'd me about my truck. I loved it. All around good truck. You can get a 4x4 under $30k too with some haggle.

Yeah, comparing it to a F-150 on the same day was a joke. The dodge is much nicer.

I drove a couple hundred miles out of my way to get a good deal on the specific truck and color I wanted. The orange is so nice.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/car/84135420-2.html

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    may have to reconsider those rams then. i'll take a peek.

is the durango a RAM-equivalent, or a dodge crossover? I dont want a "truck" on a dart chassis lol

Yea man check em out. If you don't want brand new you can get a loaded sport leather, projector headlights big center console etc for around $30k. If you are in the area you can ask for Robert at Ralph sellers. Tell him nick sent you. My old salesman daniel took his old job back at a petro chemical company.

The Durango is a sweet ride. I test drove one with my fiancé and almost bought it over the challenger in anticipation of a kid but decided the challenger is what she really wanted.
    It is its own vehicle. Not a crossover type deal or anything. Full fledge SUV.

Again don't discount the hyundai either. 10yr/100k warranty too. Haven't had any problems out of my moms. Taken it twice to El Paso now. That little turbo will surprise you and the AWD is great in the rain. With the AWD lock it does great on wet ground, so light as well it just cruises on through.
    Blind spot detection system actually works great too. Under floor storage in the back. Just nice features in a good crossover.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    i drove the hyundai, i just didnt like it.

jack that truck you just linked was 25.6? that thing looks amazing. the 1500 sport (online anyway) starts at 38.5? wtf

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Chevy/GMC all day. With that being said, my brother, who is a shop foreman at a Chevy dealership, was considering a new Tundra.

"You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom