Indoctrinating Kids In Ascension Parish Schools (Revisited)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    With all due respect; these are 5th graders! High School Sophomore is 5 years away! Unless the kid is retarded, I think he will be able to grasp the differences of fact versus opinion by then.
    So to your original point, what are you disputing? What in it is not a fact? What do you disagree with?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    With all due respect; these are 5th graders! High School Sophomore is 5 years away! Unless the kid is retarded, I think he will be able to grasp the differences of fact versus opinion by then.

Is that your kid's paper or did you receive that in a chain letter of some sort?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It will show that we, as a group of at least somewhat informed adults can't come to a consensus on a topic that you guys want to add complication to for children to understand. As it stands that paper provides well established facts and asks the reader to draw a conclusion from those facts. The issue here isn't indoctrination or deception, it is that you don't like the facts. The school is there to give information and help the student retain that information. That is what they are doing.

They are steering the conclusion as absolute fact! They have left out key parts of information that exists above and beyond just theory and or idealism. That is like a police APB of a black male from a sexual assault that conveniently leaves out the assault was perpetrated by a "black" male; because the reporting officer didn't want the report to disparage the black guy's race.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Is that your kid's paper or did you receive that in a chain letter of some sort?

It is an actual paper from the school! You will have to take my word for it. Whether it's my kid, my brothers', or my neighbors' is irrelevant on the internet. If you get my drift. ;)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    They are steering the conclusion as absolute fact! They have left out key parts of information that exists above and beyond just theory and or idealism. That is like a police APB of a black male from a sexual assault that conveniently leaves out the assault was perpetrated by a "black" male; because the reporting officer didn't want the report to disparage the black guy's race.

So you don't dispute that the information is true, you jus want different information taught?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    It is an actual paper from the school! You will have to take my word for it. Whether it's my kid, my brothers', or my neighbors' is irrelevant on the internet. If you get my drift. ;)

That's cool, I just wanted to make sure that it was a 5th grade assignment.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Emporer - are you who you are because of your elementary schooling? Did you grow up to form opinions and conclusions different from what you think elementary school professed?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So to your original point, what are you disputing? What in it is not a fact? What do you disagree with?

They are steering the conclusion as absolute fact! Someone has decided that these kids need to move away from fossil fuels because they are bad. They go out of their way to add pictures of wind turbines and solar panels. Why? So kids will recognize them easier when they are presented to them as the way to live? Where is the picture of the oil platforms that have enriched this country's wealth. What about a picture of the Alaskan pipeline? Oh, that's right; someone political group is against those.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

The conclusion is an absolute fact. Sure, there is much more that gets you to that conclusion, but you can't expect a fifth grader to understand the complicated chemistry that goes into it. Hell, I wouldn't expect most people to understand the reason behind it.

A somewhat similar analogy. You know that gunpowder makes your gun go boom. You accept the fact that if you ignite gunpowder while it is compressed, it will push the gas forward (high to low pressure) thus propelling the bullet. You also know that little shells filled with gas or diesel wouldn't work as well as gun powder. Do you know exactly why that is? What makes gun powder on so much better? Probably not exactly. That is the same thing. That paper, and much of what is taught in school just cannot convey every single bit of knowledge. Sometimes you just have to accept things as facts and trust the experts. Later in school, the aforementioned fifthgrader will learn in slightly more detail while burning fossil fuels is not as good as using "green" fuels. Your opinion that new technology for energy production, if that is actually your opinion, is skewed and very wrong if you disagree with that. Sure, at the moment, it is easiest and cheapest to burn fossil fuels...but realistically, fossil fuels will run out. Maybe not in your lifetimes, maybe not even in mine, but it will happen. Encouraging people to even consider alternative fuels is most certainly a start. It isn't some crazy liberal propaganda. It is pure science.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Someone has decided that these kids need to move away from fossil fuels because they are bad.

I would say "someone" is the scientific community. This is a science class right?

If you don't like that your kid is being taught scientific facts in science class, then the only problem is you. You accept they are true. You just want to hide that truth from kids. That's effed up, man.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I don't see a lot here to get overly worked up about.

But that doesn't mean to not be vigilant.
    The school systems are using textbooks and course material in different grade levels that are designed to lead the student in a certain (read liberal) direction on various issues.

When my daughters were in school their classes were told to joint the Junior Sierra Club and were sent home with sheets for my signature.
    That's a pretty blatant and none too subtle example in my book.

Be cautious and vigilant of what your kiddos are being taught, but don't go overboard on the first thing that comes along.

If you are positive it is wrong or indoctrinating, you could talk to the principal.
    But I'll bet there will be more examples to follow that combined would prove your point much better.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    They are steering the conclusion as absolute fact! Someone has decided that these kids need to move away from fossil fuels because they are bad. They go out of their way to add pictures of wind turbines and solar panels. Why? So kids will recognize them easier when they are presented to them as the way to live? Where is the picture of the oil platforms that have enriched this country's wealth. What about a picture of the Alaskan pipeline? Oh, that's right; someone political group is against those.
    It is science class. Science is against burning stuff for fuel. It is inefficient. Would you recommend going back to riding horses and fighting wars with swords? Of course not. Burning stuff is science of the past. Sure, it worked in the past, but there are better more efficient ways that are better for people and the planet in the long run.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Emporer - are you who you are because of your elementary schooling? Did you grow up to form opinions and conclusions different from what you think elementary school professed?

This would be an exceptional point, except if you go look up 5th grade natural science text books from the New Orleans public schools in 1972 compared to today, you would see there is no ideological opinions in the lessons.

Surely, you guys don't deny that the textbooks today are being manipulated?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

Like when Kansas made them write a chapter of science based upon a woman being made from fairy dust and a guy's broken rib?

ETA: Yes, I'm tired of political groups trying to insert themselves into science. It's the biggest problem in our nation that results in ignorant and dumbassed voters who perpetuate ********. It's a major problem. It happens from both sides of the political spectrum. Be vigilant, watch out for it, and don't hesitate to teach real science if you see an incorrect or misleading lesson.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This would be an exceptional point, except if you go look up 5th grade natural science text books from the New Orleans public schools in 1972 compared to today, you would see there is no ideological opinions in the lessons.

Dude. Science has improved since 1972. Why not go grab science books form 1872? Wouldn't that be a good idea??

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would say "someone" is the scientific community. This is a science class right?

If you don't like that your kid is being taught scientific facts in science class, then the only problem is you. You accept they are true. You just want to hide that truth from kids. That's effed up, man.

You know better than that. Besides, if it's the same scientist Al Gore assembled in Germany for the big doom and gloom conference, I'll pass. They lied!

- - - Updated - - -

Dude. Science has improved since 1972. Why not go grab science books form 1872? Wouldn't that be a good idea??

But 2+2 always equals 4. True science!

Top Bottom