It's hot, what do you drink?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    budlight.jpg

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    @JBE you can over salt yourself with that many electrolytes in your system if your drinking two gatorades to each one water. Could lead to craps and dehydration. Should be one gatorade to every three waters. Couldnt find the COSS chart but found a military chart with work/heat/liquid intake.
    252539_213207552033686_153830241304751_705151_4595168_n.jpg

1 to 1 minimum is acceptable....2 to 1 (2 water to 1 electrolyte replacement) is more than adequate ....

Neither one of those ratios will make your body hypernatremic in a hot work environment ...you'll sweat it out faster than you take it in unless you have kidney problems

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    Conducted a 16 week fire recruit class last summer, followed the work / rest / water consumption table that spent brass posted. The recruits were given 3 waters to 1 half strength Gatorade following the table based on workload along with fruit for snacks...0 heat related issues including PT and live fire exercises. The recruits spent considerable amount of time in fire gear when practicing skills as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I still remember quite clearly my first day at airborne training at Ft Benning, GA, in July 1977. At the end of the training day, Colonel ----(?) gave his standard safety lecture, including an admonition to drink several beers every day after training. He said something about beer being the ideal way to rehydrate, that was enough to convince me! I followed his advice, made it thru the training without a hitch.

I doubt that the trainees get that same advice today, but I still enjoy a big cold one after a hot day's work.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    what are you wearing under your nomex? that will make a difference also. the few guys ive seen have heat related issues were not wearing anything other than drawers under their nomex. you need to wear a cotton t-shirt as it will hold the sweet and help cool your body.

bayoulife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am a safety man for a worldwide construction company and i will tell you what we follow. You should drink more water than you think you need. Check the color of your urine, if it's clear your hydrated, if it's yellow or green your dehydrated and need to push more fluids. If you drink gatorade drink twice as much water. Gatorade is good in that it provides electrolites but it will NOT hydrate you. If you feel like you are weak or dizzy stop and start drinking water, pour water on your wrists not on your head! This will help cool you down. If you have a heat stroke it's too late! And remember one thing, what you drink today will affect you tomorrow!

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Take some potassium pills, daily, eat bananas, almonds, drink plenty water and some sport drinks. Drink water every hour if possible. Rehydrate

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    half strength gatorade

This is cutting your gatorade/powerade with water. This is what I recommend. I usually add a little (a third) to a bottle of water as I drink it. Keeps your ratio even as you go.

And +1 to the cool, not cold stuff. The cold liquids require your body to expend energy to warm the water up before it can process it. Causing a delay in hydration and wasting the energy you DO have.

+1 Make sure you have eaten something

+ try to make shade, the sun can kill

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also, these don't work for very long, but they work well when they do... don't cool you off "too" much to where you get tired. Once it warms up, just dunk it again.

http://www.cooltiesareus.com/

don't remember which store, but I'm pretty sure Academy would probably have them or a knockoff.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    +1 on the room temp. or outdoor temp. water! The cold kinda shocks the body.

Water was fine. Keep drinking it but these people are on the money regarding ice water. Save that for when you've cooled off a little bit. We always drank out of the water hose as kids.
    My favorite is the blackberry powerade. I think it's blackberry, it's deep purple.

And Tea! So much tea.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I forgot to mention, I was drinking my water with the "mio energy", its a small squirt bottle where you squirt in your water bottle. I drank 4 bottles with the mio, was drinking at least 3 bottles/hour of water. Ill start throwing gatorade in tge mix. Thats what I drank today and didnt feel bad. Thanks guys

Love Mio! :) blueberry lemonade... Careful with the energy though. You're mainlining 60mg caffeine at a pop. Chugging it all during the day will add up. I used the green energy Mio once a day in place of coffee when I was at a trade show last month.

(I know coffee has more but water in the heat goes down easier than pots of coffee at a desk)

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Water was fine. Keep drinking it but these people are on the money regarding ice water. Save that for when you've cooled off a little bit. We always drank out of the water hose as kids.
    My favorite is the blackberry powerade. I think it's blackberry, it's deep purple.

And Tea! So much tea.

Just make sure you let the hose run for a minute if it's a hot summer day.... been there!!!! 120 degree water that's been sitting in the hose all day straight to your mouth is hawt.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    We usually do 2 waters to 1 Gatorade drinking enough to keep pissing near clear along with eating small snakes through the day.

The venom keeps you loose.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Conducted a 16 week fire recruit class last summer, followed the work / rest / water consumption table that spent brass posted. The recruits were given 3 waters to 1 half strength Gatorade following the table based on workload along with fruit for snacks...0 heat related issues including PT and live fire exercises. The recruits spent considerable amount of time in fire gear when practicing skills as well.

I know I'm a bit behind in replying...

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong by recommending 3:1 but a normal person can adequately re-hydrate using any of those ratios. Athletic trainers and team physicians have for years (actually decades) kept athletes in all types of sports from the high school level through the professional level adequately hydrated using a 1:1 ratio.

I would love to know what the COSS basis their recommendations on? Actual findings and studies or their own opinion?

I am a safety man for a worldwide construction company and i will tell you what we follow. You should drink more water than you think you need. Check the color of your urine, if it's clear your hydrated, if it's yellow or green your dehydrated and need to push more fluids. If you drink gatorade drink twice as much water. Gatorade is good in that it provides electrolites but it will NOT hydrate you. If you feel like you are weak or dizzy stop and start drinking water, pour water on your wrists not on your head! This will help cool you down. If you have a heat stroke it's too late! And remember one thing, what you drink today will affect you tomorrow!

Curious, what do ya'll use for the basis of those recommendations? Also, the act of just pouring water over the wrists will do very little because the water doesn't pool on the wrists long enough to do any good; it needs to be constant flow for several minutes to do any good, i.e. cool water out of a faucet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom