Kids first day at daycare. Sadwabbit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Having 8 total (mine, hers and ours) it's pretty easy. Leave them and don't think about them till it's time to pick them up. They will be fine. It will help their speech, help them socially, and emotionally. It's a good thing. Next thing you know your little baby girl (in my case) will be shipping out to Texas for 8 weeks with 7 months of tech school (or whatever it's called) as Security Forces with the Air Guard. :(. It goes by really fast.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just dropped off my kid on his first day as a first grader. Still, to this day......I get lonesome at home when he's in school, especially at the beginning off the school year. I work nights on Bourbon so I spend all day with my boy while mommy runs her salon during the day....works out great! When he's in school I get a little lost. He's been my shadow since he was born. Those of you that have dealt with me in the past, y'all have seen my boy, he likes tagging along on these little deals that I do from time to time. It gets a little better as the weeks pass and both of you get into a routine and pretty soon, it'll be summer again. I fill my days with stuff I wouldn't normally do when he's around. It's a rough start but you'll get to rediscover some lost time and maybe get some stuff done.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Hitman- yeah the "he needs germs" thing is really just a comedic way of saying "he needs to not be in his house all day everyday". Interesting point regarding washing hands etc lol.

US Infidel- congrats, and I thank her for her service!

CUJO- This will probably help my career as well. I was always taking long lunches and/or going home early to play with him lol.

fleurdelisxliv

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    My 4 yr olds first full day of school was today he went half day friday. I think i was more afraid than he was. He loves it so that makes me feel better. He has never been to daycare or anything organized,but his teacher said he did great :D

HIT EM WIT DAT FLEX

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My 4 yr olds first full day of school was today he went half day friday. I think i was more afraid than he was. He loves it so that makes me feel better. He has never been to daycare or anything organized,but his teacher said he did great :D

HIT EM WIT DAT FLEX

I'm really hoping that we get a good report for today :)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    wife just popped in and checked on him lol

she didn't let him see her, but the teacher said he cried for ~ 5 minutes after she dropped him off and then was fine. Teacher held him for 10 minutes or so and then he just started playing with the other kids. Wife said he was sitting quietly and eating his lunch at a table with a group of other kids. She was stunned... unless we buckle that kid into a chair he doesn't sit and eat for anything.

Looks like A++ for wabbit junior!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    wife just popped in and checked on him lol

she didn't let him see her, but the teacher said he cried for ~ 5 minutes after she dropped him off and then was fine. Teacher held him for 10 minutes or so and then he just started playing with the other kids. Wife said he was sitting quietly and eating his lunch at a table with a group of other kids. She was stunned... unless we buckle that kid into a chair he doesn't sit and eat for anything.

Looks like A++ for wabbit junior!

That's awesome man! I don't know why, but the sentence in bold made me tear up a little bit....... What the Hell is happening to me? I'm getting soft!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    That's awesome man! I don't know why, but the sentence in bold made me tear up a little bit....... What the Hell is happening to me? I'm getting soft!

lol!

Wife sent me a picture of him "sharing" red beans and rice with the little girl next to him. Made me tear up at my office lol.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Our little one started 1st grade this year. We started him at 3 going to pre-school 2 days for 3 hrs a week, then at 4 4 days for 3 hrs a week. First day of kindergarten and ever since he has ridden the bus to school.
    Watching my NOT QUITE 5 year old get on that big ole bus and drive away was tough. He is a kind hearted little dude and not one to be a bully so I've tried to teach him it is OK to take up for himself.

I have found what eases my mind the most is getting to know the teachers and interacting with them as much as possible. His kindergarten teacher was always an email away and seemed genuinely concerned about their well being.
    That took a lot of weight off my mind.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Our little one started 1st grade this year. We started him at 3 going to pre-school 2 days for 3 hrs a week, then at 4 4 days for 3 hrs a week. First day of kindergarten and ever since he has ridden the bus to school.
    Watching my NOT QUITE 5 year old get on that big ole bus and drive away was tough. He is a kind hearted little dude and not one to be a bully so I've tried to teach him it is OK to take up for himself.

I have found what eases my mind the most is getting to know the teachers and interacting with them as much as possible. His kindergarten teacher was always an email away and seemed genuinely concerned about their well being.
    That took a lot of weight off my mind.

The teacher here was the deciding factor here as well. I scouted this place 3 separate mornings before we enrolled, twice was unannounced. The kids ran up to the teacher and hugged her and she had something personal to say to each of them- "How is Pickles?" (the little girls cat) To another child "wow! I like your new shoes!" - you can tell shes genuinely interested in each child, and that is priceless to me.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    "Wife sent me a picture of him "sharing" red beans and rice with the little girl next to him."

Better watch this! Before you know it he will be buying her an engagement ring. They grow up fast.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    CUJO- This will probably help my career as well. I was always taking long lunches and/or going home early to play with him lol.

This has been me as of lately. We have our first and he is 6 months old now. This has been the best life changing event in our lives and the definitely the most amazing event. The wife and I were talking about how it's one thing to see kids you know grow up, seeing the big milestones. However it's a completely different and more rewarding thing to see your own grow up. We get to see the everyday changes and growth in our son. It's just been amazing. We took him on his first beach trip this last weekend and he was a natural in the sand and water.

My wife has been home with him since birth but I think we're going to let him go to a babysitter soon for the socialization. I'm dreading this day!!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    This has been me as of lately. We have our first and he is 6 months old now. This has been the best life changing event in our lives and the definitely the most amazing event. The wife and I were talking about how it's one thing to see kids you know grow up, seeing the big milestones. However it's a completely different and more rewarding thing to see your own grow up. We get to see the everyday changes and growth in our son. It's just been amazing. We took him on his first beach trip this last weekend and he was a natural in the sand and water.

My wife has been home with him since birth but I think we're going to let him go to a babysitter soon for the socialization. I'm dreading this day!!

It won't be so bad. When you feel like he's ready, just send him for a few hours and take the wife out on a date. See how it goes...

and yeah, I've literally filled up a 32G worth of videos of him laughing, playing, walking, talking... had to get a bigger dropbox account to share with extended family. (Im not a fan of airing it over facebook...) and Skype is a life saver! Grandma and Grandpa can read him a bedtime story and it looks like they are sitting right there. Technology is amazing.

edit: careful, at 18months mine knows how to unlock the ipad (1234 style keypad), turn on skype, and push grandma's picture. It isn't so cute at midnight...

Last edited:

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    I worked at a daycare/preschool for 7 years. It is the same one my mom and sister still work at. While I had the 7year-12year olds my mother works with the 2 year olds. Kids that have never been away from home regardless of age will pout/cry. They will continue if the parent comes to "rescue them". The 2's usually cry a bit on the first day but they are all done before morning snack. The longer the parent lingers the longer the kid cries. After week 2 is when a lot of the mothers cry because as soon as they get to school the kid is ready to play and not hang onto mom as long as they are there.

I had 1 kid who was 9 years old moving here from North LA. The first day his mom dropped him off and left without him noticing, he had a good time and was playing kickball in the afternoon with some kids his own age. The second day his mom told him "bye" before she left and he just started crying to take him with her and grabbing onto her legs. She got to the front of the school more than once and he was almost done when she turned around and came right back. I assured her that he was fine the day before but she didn't see the crying as an act. I guess she just gave in and instead of putting him into a summer program just took him to work all that summer.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A long time ago my wife went to pick up our young son. He was maybe 4 or 5. I don't remember. The daycare owner came out to speak to her and told her they showed Bambi at movie time that day. My wife told her not to let me know because I didn't allow that movie in my house.
    The lady told her at the end when all of the animals were dancing and flying around to the music my son stood up and said "My Daddy can kill all those animals and cut their heads off."
    I was never so proud.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I worked at a daycare/preschool for 7 years. It is the same one my mom and sister still work at. While I had the 7year-12year olds my mother works with the 2 year olds. Kids that have never been away from home regardless of age will pout/cry. They will continue if the parent comes to "rescue them". The 2's usually cry a bit on the first day but they are all done before morning snack. The longer the parent lingers the longer the kid cries. After week 2 is when a lot of the mothers cry because as soon as they get to school the kid is ready to play and not hang onto mom as long as they are there.

I had 1 kid who was 9 years old moving here from North LA. The first day his mom dropped him off and left without him noticing, he had a good time and was playing kickball in the afternoon with some kids his own age. The second day his mom told him "bye" before she left and he just started crying to take him with her and grabbing onto her legs. She got to the front of the school more than once and he was almost done when she turned around and came right back. I assured her that he was fine the day before but she didn't see the crying as an act. I guess she just gave in and instead of putting him into a summer program just took him to work all that summer.

Yep...sounds about right. FWIW...it's pretty much the same way as when you get a new puppy. You have to let them whine a bit if you want them to be tuff. Baby and noo-noo them....and they will always crave too much attention while running around with their tails between their legs.

jim48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner, La
    They adjust quickly. Will love it soon. Raising kids the toughest most rewarding job ever. And does not come with an owners manual. Enjoy them. Stay involved. Always tell the truth about really tough issues. Surprise them once in a while. Used to carpool my son at sophomore year HS. I was not enjoying the music they insisted on radio. One day I grabbed the radio and inserted a CD. they were really impressed with Jimi Hendrix star spangled banner, fire and purple haze.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    day 2 update:

she dropped him off and he ran to hug the teacher, then went and sat with his playmate from yesterday. no tears! We always do the "ill see you after lunch!" or "we will play tonight after daddy gets off work". Wife told him she'll see him after work for pizza and cartoons, he hugged her and she walked out; no tears.

Proud of this kid yall. big time. Teacher asked twice if he'd been to daycare before, said he looked like he'd been going for weeks. :cool:

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    day 2 update:

she dropped him off and he ran to hug the teacher, then went and sat with his playmate from yesterday. no tears! We always do the "ill see you after lunch!" or "we will play tonight after daddy gets off work". Wife told him she'll see him after work for pizza and cartoons, he hugged her and she walked out; no tears.

Proud of this kid yall. big time. Teacher asked twice if he'd been to daycare before, said he looked like he'd been going for weeks. :cool:

Sounds like he's on his way! Good to hear

Top Bottom