Last Three Isaac models don't look good.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Ditto. Filled up the cans, ran the gen and excercised it, filled the vehicles up, and bought some extra water just in case. Already have all the other stuff thankfully.
    Good for you! I filled up my cars and generator cans at about 9AM. Only one other person was doing so. Tested the generator, then headed to the Watson Wal-Mart right before the 10AM track shift was announced. We got EVERYTHING we needed, plus a lot more in case my NOLA relatives end up here. By the time we left Wal-Mart it was PACKED, with everybody getting batteries, water, gas cans, etc. We're sure glad we started early!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Good for you! I filled up my cars and generator cans at about 9AM. Only one other person was doing so. Tested the generator, then headed to the Watson Wal-Mart right before the 10AM track shift was announced. We got EVERYTHING we needed, plus a lot more in case my NOLA relatives end up here. By the time we left Wal-Mart it was PACKED, with everybody getting batteries, water, gas cans, etc. We're sure glad we started early!

Ditto. Plus three 5 gal container Stabiled. I have two places to worry about. Our building and our home.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering

Don't forget the guns.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Great. Ghandi is hitting the panic button early... again.

Gawd, I am SO glad I'm retired. Hurricane season is such a total rat-bang for law enforcement. You active guys out there... I'll be thinking about you, directing traffic and listening to the whining of those who didn't prepare and expect YOU to take care of them.

And if "they" call for a toilet evac and institute contra-flow... well, I'm REALLY glad I live north of BR.

I wish there was a "like" button for this post. Wave the idiots out of town,protect their ****,wave them back to town. Wheeeee!

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Since Isaac was kind enough to stop by a fully-upgraded NEXRAD, I got a good look at 'im. I think he's gonna start getting stronger very soon, the leading edge is already developing some strength from the warmer waters. Right-click and view the image in a new tab/window to see full resolution ;)

ISAAC01-12.GIF

ISAAC3D01.GIF

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

Gawd, I am SO glad I'm retired. Hurricane season is such a total rat-bang for law enforcement. You active guys out there... I'll be thinking about you, directing traffic and listening to the whining of those who didn't prepare and expect YOU to take care of them.

And if "they" call for a toilet evac and institute contra-flow... well, I'm REALLY glad I live north of BR.

What New Orleans needs to understand is "baby birds" cannot fend for themselves. Do not promote their propagation in a city below sea level. To do so is to ensure failure.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    A question for the long time Bayoushooter members...Has there ever been a thread concerning the proper gun for defending ones property from hurricane evacuees/looters etc... just sayin'

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    A question for the long time Bayoushooter members...Has there ever been a thread concerning the proper gun for defending ones property from hurricane evacuees/looters etc... just sayin'

Not sure. My preference would be AK47 and/or AR15 because of multiple magazines and firepower. Load every magazine you have and hope you don't have to use them.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge

I don't think there is one proper gun. It depends on too many factors. Do you live on a farm or in an apartment? Do you have kids or live alone? Do you have a grocery store to protect or just a small office? There are way too many variables. I live in a house in a residential neighborhood in Baton Rouge. I will be depending on AR in .223 and my pistol in .45 or 9mm.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

A high capacity rifle that is proven reliable, and a high capacity pistol that is proven reliable, and the means of carrying both (sling and holster).

Just remember that it ain't the end of the world, and you'll still be held accountable for any bullets you send downrange in the unlikely event that you need to defend yourself or your property.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Well, there's being pro-active... and there is hitting the panic button before the frigging storm is even classified as a hurricane, for Pete's sake.

Here's a clue... what they are doing right now is nothing different from what they did prior to Katrina. What made Katrina such a watershed event- oohhhh, bad pun, eh?- was the MRGO surge that flattened Plaquemines parish and flooded GNO. Nobody was prepared for that.

Trust me on this... if an equally catastrophic event happens as the result of this- or any- hurricane, it will be just as large a cluster-f^ck as Katrina was; or worse.

If the thing comes around the Keys and picks up strength, THEN we should pull out all the stops and batten down. Right now, they're just wasting overtime budgets and other resources. Been there, done that, too many times.

I'm howling over this because I sat in at the safety meeting Friday at the office even though I'm no longer working there actively. Jody and his coworker are leading the team discussion particulars. Our safety coordinator is asking Dad (easily most experienced out of all 15) his thoughts. He's popping back cashews until the scenarios tighten up to Cat4, 24 hrs out. Then he said we do A, B, C.

I've been sitting here thinking, trying to remember. IIRC correctly, they had Lily at a Cat4 when we went to sleep. That next day she roared in at a 1. Point being, this thing has changed so much I'm with you. It's not panic worthy quite yet. However we did make a grocery run, fueled our vehicles and a couple weeks ago performed generator maintenance.

I do think it will turn into a hurricane. The conditions are great for it. But at the rate it's shifting it'll be hitting Corpus by tomorrow night. that in itself is a little bothersome because it leaves the ones that thought they were safe, in a rush.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I'm buying beer and shopping for new windows online.
    Had the other stuff covered long ago. High ground but no gen, don't really need the extra attention :D

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

This will be my first. I'm so excited....

*sarcasm*

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I don't keep my tinfoil hat too tight but I have to wonder... the models for this storm haven't shifted much but suddenly the projection from the NATIONAL weather service has the storm coming right at us. If they can convince the local parishes to make this a mandatory evacuation Obama will get the chance to spend all kinds of money down here (as will your insurance company, btw, so I don't want to hear griping when your rates go up) and once again he'll get to look like the hero.

I have mixed feelings on telling the neighbors to get lost. I think I'd rather arm them with the condition that when this is over they go buy themselves a gun that meets my approval. I'd probably hand out my .22's though... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom