Let's form a Survival Club--what do yall think?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I was thinking maybe we could form a survival club thru BS. Do all of our Survivaling discussions thru the club forum. Help each other with ideas, news we hear, lend our expertise in certain areas that we have experience in.
    Maybe even once a year have a one day get together somewhere just to talk, meet each other, show some of our gear, etc. How do yall feel about that? Any suggestions?

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I personally could use some input on putting together a "quick grab and go" duffle bag of stuff I would need. I don't mean food or guns that would need to go but all the other things one would need if they had to go and probably would never be able to come back. To me, that is the kind of info. a survival club could help with.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My grab-n-go bag currently has...

Extra mags and ammo for all my weapons
    Nice sharp reliable knife
    Few MREs
    Couple changes of clothes including a light waterproof jacket
    A 3 D-Cell maglite, mini maglite, and my surefire 6p defender SEVERAL sets of extra batteries for all
    First AID kit
    Super basic fishing supplies
    A few boxes of waterproof matches
    I know I have other basic supplies that I can't think of off the top of my head

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Quick grab and duffel bag dont really go together. There are a few pluses to a duffel, ok the only one I can think of is always having a place to sit with you. They are not very conducive to E&E.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I need a bag, and to pack it up. Ive never been a big "survivor" guy, but thinking in this time and day, never know when/if youre gonna need the go-devil, bull eye, and stuff to make life easier. IE fishing stuff, extra batteries for flash lights, first AID kit etc. things to provide shelter, and a bunch of valium to put up with the ole lady, and all living sperm cells

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I prefer internal frame packs, but I've owned both. I have a gregory gravity that I picked up on sale at either Campmor or The Backpacker...
    sleeping bag & pad, Coleman propane camp stove ( tiny, about 6 oz), 1.5 qt pot set, MSR water filter, knife (swiss army & mid sized sheath knife), paracord, 2 nalgene bottles, first aid kit, plastic shovel, candle lantern, compass. Tent or tarp?
    gun and ammo of some type, depending on where I'm going.
    Probably other stuff I can't think of now.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Count me in. I've been reading/participating in survival forums for the last few years and have a good grasp on what is needed for different situations.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Hell yeah i'm down tin foil and all. Jindana if you haven't already read it I suggest you check out the listening to katrina blog http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html Its a very detailed documentation of things that this guy observed during and after hurricane katrina, very good read.

As always one shouldn't get all his sources from one place, I would also recommend the survival podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ I've been listening to his show for about 6 months now and he seems to know what he's talking about. He's also on itunes.

Also for those that have read Lights Out by halfast and those who haven't, great news Jack from the survival podcast is teaming up with halfast to record an audio book of lights out, I listened to the first 2 chapters and I think its gonna be really cool.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Also for those that have read Lights Out by halfast and those who haven't, great news Jack from the survival podcast is teaming up with halfast to record an audio book of lights out, I listened to the first 2 chapters and I think its gonna be really cool.

Link? I love that short story.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    am i the only one with a full frame hiking pack?

Nope. I have a Kelty Redcloud 5400 that I keep packed up with my hiking/survival equipment. Most of it is Tier 2&3 stuff, but I know that if I need to get out quick I grab it, guns and ammo from the safe, and my BOB in my truck. It's an internal frame with more than enough room. I don't keep a firearm or ammo in it since it isn't locked up and there are nieces and nephews who are over on occasion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom