Lets's talk ultralights, light sport, & general aviation...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I finally understand your screen name. Always thought it referred to your driving. I've always been intrigued by ultralights. Wishing you smooth sailing.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    What oil to use...
    The age old question.
    Some folks use Lucas, others amsoil, and even klotz.
    Why royal purple? Haven't heard any failures as a long term use of it.
    Do I think it's the do it all better than everything else, oil?
    Not really.
    But it seems to come recommended among the folks we're flying with, as they're using it currently with good results.
    I did find a local source through them, so if i decide to continue using it, i can get it when i need it.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I finally understand your screen name. Always thought it referred to your driving. I've always been intrigued by ultralights. Wishing you smooth sailing.

The screen name came about when I joined some local motorcycle forums.
    Motorcycles are my form of fun and escape, that I would get if I were flying, which i've not done in many years, mainly due to the expense.
    I just kept it, and used it on most all the forums i join.
    This bird, is our project that's finally getting finished, and hopefully flying, soon.
    Got a tad more tweaking, and some more farkling to do, but it's coming together.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    IFL,
    I have been using Maxima Castor 927 as it is the spec oil for our class. It is stupid expensive. It does have some castor and you can smell it for sure. Years ago Bel-Ray was the Motocross oil and a lot of enduro guys used Golden Spectro. No body ever had a reason. I think is was just part of the culture. I have also read on the subject over the years and it is interesting. A lot of what some people advise is half cocked and not the whole story. I do think going with the advice of the guys that do the same thing you do is the way to go. They tend to know the parameters your decision entails. You can probably tell what is the better advice.

Pretty cool hobby. I looked up Farkle - I'll assume you were using the M/C meaning of the term. I don't believe half the definitions on urban dictionary anyway. Don't crop dust my house bro.

I hope y'all have good times and post something on it here.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    You're right in the definition of farkle.
    I've got to get the electrical system set up, and wire it for a radio, and gps.
    I like my gizmos...

I'll get some vids up, hopefully soon, when we get it flying.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Aaaaaand today, it flew!
    Had the builder/previous owner, come by, and give it a thorough going over.
    Made a couple of adjustments.
    He took it up, no problems at all.
    He made a couple checkout flights, and said it was like it was for the last 20 some-odd years when he owned it.
    My turn...
    Took it up, and got the feel for it, going around the pattern.
    Man ultralight flying is different in feel than what I was used to in the Pacer, that's for sure.
    Got it back down in one piece even!
    Then my padnuh in crime took it up.
    He flew ultralights many years ago, and his takeoff, flight, and landing showed it.
    All in all, an awesome evening!
    I got to go home, with clean underpants! LOL

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I grew up watching people fly. My father owned 43 acres, and on the back half was a runway he intended to use for his Cessna 182. Unfortunately (depending on who's view...), I came along, and the 182 got sold, and the runway was never "finished". That didn't stop Ultralight fliers/pilots from buzzing it, though. I still remember when I was a little kid. Maybe 3-5 years old. Watching them flying in front of the sunset out there buzzing the runway. I've always wanted to fly one, even though they are dangerous (be careful, op!). Flight has always been a passion of mine, even though I've never been fortunate enough to pilot anything, I love flying, and an very interested one day in getting an Ultralight.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Some questions:
    -Is turn-key a smart way to go for someone with no experience, like myself? That way I KNOW how things SHOULD feel/look, and what the hours are on everything?
    -How safe is this, really, if approached with common sense and reasonable training from a valid source (which would be...?)
    -Are they a money-pit, or can you pretty much buy, maintain, and enjoy for about initial start-up?
    -What's the re-sale when/if you get tired of it?
    -What happens if the engine craps out? Can these be safely landed with no power (assuming suitable surface)?
    -What is the typical length of runway needed?
    -Are they easily upset by drafts, or are they pretty "safe" in the air?
    -I don't remember a lot, but I do remember being told as a child how dangerous they were. Is this one of those cases where ignorance bred fear, or is this truly a "high risk" hobby?
    -Can I fly when/where I want, or do I need to file a flight plan, have a pilot's license, etc. etc. etc. (I don't plan to buzz an airport, or military installation of course, I just mean, can I use common sense and enjoy the thing without Big Brother?)

This is something I would consider:
    http://www.air-techinc.com/ultralight_aircraft_details.php?ptid=119

Not now, or next year, but in 5+ or so.

What is "take-off roll". 65 feet? Seriously? I just need 65 feet of pretty surface before lift-off? That's insane. It would have to hit harder than my Z06 on launch I would think. Something looks off...

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Sunday Was a great day to go flying!

State Capital Raceway:
    ResizedImage951384120390191_zps02adda3d.jpg

New John James Audubon Bridge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Audubon_Bridge_(Mississippi_River)
    ResizedImage951384120422166_zpscd1bd5a5.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When you were up in SF by the new bridge you were getting close to the tower that our Ham repeater antenna is on. It's the big red & white tower just to the northwest of the Nuke plant.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I'm running a Rotax 503 on a Challenger II light sport. If you ask 10 different "Experts" you get 10 different answers. The one particular expert that did my overhaul, when I hit the magic number of hours recommended by Rotax, recommends AMSOIL Interceptor or Havoline. Another guy has had great success running AMSOIL Saber. A local friend running the same set as I am has had no issues running penzoil outboard oil.

Where you flying that thing out of?

Do you go to any of the local fly-ins?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom