Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've had two manual transmission cars (porsche cayman and toyota supra) Both were a BLAST to drive. But luckily I only had to drive them ~1-3 times a month. Daily I have the comfort and luxury of previously my infiniti and currently my escalade. For every day, give me an auto. My 6000lb 400hp suv is slow, but it isn't a slouch. And I've driven the nissan GTR and other modern auto sport cars like M bmw's and AMG mercedes.... I'm not missing much in any of those. Lets you concentrate more on steering and keeping yourself OUT of the back of someone else's car. They rev so fast that you don't have time to pay attention to the tach, b/c the mph is building just as quick.

Last edited:

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Noob. I currently own an infiniti fx35 and a jaguar xf supercharged. Both are automatics both are driven everyday. Never had a transmission problem. The jaguar is 500 hp. If I'm driving hard in manual mode I'm always late on the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. And that's no clutch. It runs through the gears too quick for me.

Limited slip in most modern cars is managed by the electronics applying brakes to the wheels with slip, decelerating the engine speed & slipping clutches in the automatic transmission. How do they manage it in standards?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sorry, had to edit my post, I meant "auto"

Modern cars rev way too quick for us to keep up with quicker than a modern auto or dual clutch

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    This thread has made me realize that many of you have some very fancy cars.

I think that's why a lot of the "manual" only drivers feel that way. They haven't experienced a "good" auto. You can't compare a 160hp 4 banger or a tall geared American car. To some of the best Germany and Japan has to offer. My wife's little rdx is so responsive to throttle that you can't believe you're driving a little cross over.

Not all of us drive jeeps and f150's

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I think some people are misinformed and judging people they don't know. I have driven cars way out of my league. The lamborghini I recently drive would have been a lot more fun with a third pedal. Seamless shifting that you cannot feel? Never experienced it except in cvt vehicles, which I despise.
    No, most race cars do not run automatics anything like what a common car has.
    Most of the cars offered in the us that are offered in other countries, have manuals in other countries and automatics here. The difference is the buying preference here.
    I am actually in the market for another daily commuter car. The list is tough to fill and the Honda accord is almost the only car that fits it. I want 4 doors, close to 30 mpg, regular gasoline, manual trans and decent ride and room.

Aussiecajun

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Maurice LA
    I'm going to start by saying I have no technical knowledge of new manuals vs new autos, and that both my truck and my wife's car are autos. Personal preference is-I love manuals. It's what I learnt with, and sticking it in D for dream is boring for me. That said, my wife has no idea how to drive stick, so I need auto for her.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    My car would be better off as a manual. A 2012 dodge avenger. It's underpowered and shifts way to early.

The transmission is also garbage. But that's more a problem due to it being a four speed chrysler auto, than it being an auto in general. I bought it new off the delivery truck with 5 miles on it. Now it has 48,000 miles and has been in the shop four times with transmission problems. I missed the limitations on lemon laws by two months (has to be repaired a certain number of times in a certain time frame).

Lucky for me, I worked for chrysler, and I knew the transmission was trash, so I bought the lifetime warranty. So next time it goes in the shop will be after the transmission grenades. Because it's off the factory warranty and I have a $100 "co-pay" now.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    18 wheelers are also going to AUTOs
    My ex is a diesel mechanic. They're actually computer controlled manuals. Automatic as far as the driver is concerned, but the mechanics of how it operates is actually the same as a manual, just not controlled by the driver.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    My daughter who is now 44 learned to drive in the 65 Corvette I owned. All the cars she had bought were standards, she had to special order her BMW 325 to get a stick.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My daughter who is now 44 learned to drive in the 65 Corvette I owned. All the cars she had bought were standards, she had to special order her BMW 325 to get a stick.

Surprised she didn't like the paddle shift. My 335i (RIP) had the paddle and it was absolutely glorious. Most fun I've ever had in a car, but hoping my december delivery changes that :)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Automated manuals like VW's DSG, Porsches PDK, etc are a blast and I'll take them over a manual. Traditional torque-converter automatics are better than they used to be, but rowing your own is much more fun.

Everything in Europe is a manual. I had a Toyota hatch with a turbo diesel and manual in Ireland, it was a beast!

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I believe this is only for normal cars. Look at the new Corvette , the track numbers it puts down ans the power to. With a Manuel u can achieve close to 30. Same with the Ls1 based vehicals. However take a look at a few foreign sports cars and they guzzle gas while just being on par with the vettes. If I'm not mistaken the Manuel tranny is only disappearing over here. I think in Scotland u have to have a handicap to drive an automatic. Also look at the eco models of compacts. The Manuel Cruze and Jetta get better mpg than there counter parts. But for me I'm thinking of moving over to an auto. I love a Manuel but every time I drive it I'm stuck in traffic. Plus the wife destroys my clutch

images

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom