Marksmanship

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    The mass shooting at the GOP baseball practice this morning brought to mind some comments I heard recently about the state of marksmanship in today's military. When I served (1970s) I trained and qualified on the M-16 and 45 (and I was proud to wear those Expert badges!). I don't know how current recruits are trained in marksmanship, but it seems that it is more common to just lock in a full mag and spray lead! In this morning's incident, the shooter supposedly got off 50-100 shots and hit just 4-5 people. A more skilled marksman -- even with the reported 3-minute response of LEOs -- might have been able to take down more victims.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    How many LEO's were using rifles in this incident? The LEO's were not shooting at a stationary paper target.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    The mass shooting at the GOP baseball practice this morning brought to mind some comments I heard recently about the state of marksmanship in today's military. When I served (1970s) I trained and qualified on the M-16 and 45 (and I was proud to wear those Expert badges!). I don't know how current recruits are trained in marksmanship, but it seems that it is more common to just lock in a full mag and spray lead! In this morning's incident, the shooter supposedly got off 50-100 shots and hit just 4-5 people. A more skilled marksman -- even with the reported 3-minute response of LEOs -- might have been able to take down more victims.

I tend to agree. With more training and experience theoritically, the shooter should have been able to take out more people. Thankfully, he did not have the training or experience!

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I am not certain, but I think Capitol Police protective units normally only have pistols. I tried to explain to my co-workers the near futility of trying to engage a competent rifleman with only a pistol. Some of them got it. I'd love to see the actual AAR on this one. If the media reports are correct, then the Capitol Police with Scalise managed to hold him off long enough for Alexandria PD to show up. We don't know right now who got him, but the report I just saw said he was hit multiple times, center mass.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sounds like he thinks LEO cant shoot worth a darn with a rifle or a pistol. I dont think he was there, or privey to their training so his post means nothing, and best he hold his tongue!

Sounds like you know nothing about me.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States

Just to be clear, is your point that YOU would have been able to take out way more innocent people? Because that would be a really ****ing weird point to make.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Just to be clear, is your point that YOU would have been able to take out way more innocent people? Because that would be a really ****ing weird point to make.

No -- I was once a pretty good shot, but my skills are long past any bragging level. My point was simply that "a more skilled marksman" (than what the shooter apparently was) could have done a lot more damage -- so I guess those folks were lucky the shooter was not so skilled!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think we can all agree that it's advantageous for military, police, and us good guys with guns to train frequently and with moving targets that would help in situations like this. I don't think anyone is implying that the shooter should have had better training. In the end, no one buy the criminal died, so it's better than it could have been.

Let's not go down a route that would get this thread closed please.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

Thank God he sucked at it. I never complain when the perp is a bad marksman. Was this guy former military or just some nut job that picked up a gun recently?

Most of my marksmanship took a lot of work. Probably something most criminals are not good at, working at something. But we have seen a couple of example of criminals that did wreak havoc.

Top Bottom