Meet your neighbor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    b8beccbb-93b8-3f54.jpg
    If barking is really such a problem the heavier shock collars will work BUT, I have had one dog at least that lived in a shock collar ...Catahoula Cur, born hard headed. The collar you have might work if you pull it tighter so the probes are tight against skin, also try wetting around poochies neck b4 you tighten the bark collar on.

It's a mess, I don't have the problem b/c my dogs free range our land and cat's ( house cats ) don't exist. I did see one a few years ago but it was stretched out in the back.

I know you can't do that in town but I'd be getting the cats a one way ticket to gone somehow.

That's a good idea. I've wondered before of the probes are making it thru her thick coat. I don't want to tighten any more that I have because of worry about choking her (I had it snug). I am going to check into longer probes. If they aren't interchangeable I will get one with longer probes so I don't have to choke her to get them to work. Thanks for the suggestion.

No cat in the trap again this morning and no barking.. Sometimes it will be weeks in between the cat visits, sometimes it's more frequent. Maybe all of this rain has been keeping them away.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    What if it was a wild possum? They are all over my neighborhood. The dog would still bark and there would be no evil cat to blame. Who would be at fault then?

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    So the cats owners will get a ticket?
    What if the cats that are trespassing are not "owned" by anyone? In my view the OP would have a valid argument IF he could prove that it was a cat owned by a neighbor that was causing his dog to bark. Unfortunately for him he has only his word that this is the case. Until that changes, if someone does finally call in a complaint his argument is likely to fall upon deaf ears.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Seriously??? Hair is part of dog ownership, if it seriously bothers you that much you should not own a dog.

After living with a dog breeder, I'll be the first one to say that dog hair sucks. At the same time, the behavior of the dog rolling in puddles can be fixed.

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I actually have pics of the cat walking along the top of my fence. I put my game camera out.
    Why isn't this thread dead?? My dog hasn't barked in weeks and I haven't gotten any recent pics of the cats (one black and the other grey and white) in a while. Still have the trap out but still haven caught it. I think after talking to a few of the neighbors the word got out that I set a trap and they have been keeping their cats in.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    That's the same kind I have. It was the most expensive one at Petsmart. My German Shepherd has a really high prey drive. It doesn't phase her when she gets in to prey mode. I was joking withy son one day with the collar and acting like it was shocking my hand and when he laughed too loud it really did go off and gave a hell of a jolt! I don't see how my dog ignores it.

In many municipalities it is illegal for your dog to bark after a certain time. The reason is irrelevant. The fact the he's trying to kill a neighbor's pet doesn't seem to be an issue. It really sounds like you can't control your dog. If you can't control him, maybe you might consider keeping him inside at night.

Many years ago (and I'm approaching 50) a neighbor's dog had a habit of going ape-**** every time he saw a bird, cat, satellite, etc. One night - very late (after MANY nights' lost sleep) I awakened from the din, went to the back door, pumped up my Crossman pellet gun to about a thousand PSI, then aimed and shot the dog in the left paw. The noise stopped. He soon resumed the noise. I shot him in the left paw again. Later when he started I opened the door and he ran whimpering to his shed. He *never* barked again.

It's possible that your dog is out of control because he hasn't experienced a high enough level of pain to get his attention.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    You have the right to .........

It's possible that your dog is out of control because he hasn't experienced a high enough level of pain to get his attention.

Damn

The PETA police will be looking for you lol:}

dluug98j6h0ks13i280.jpg

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    If the fence is where the cats are climbing, i would put an electric wire on my side of the fence up near the top. your dog may be able to withstand a jolt, but kitties don't like 120 vac one bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    Like I said. I think the problem has been solved. The neighbors know that I'm after their kitty cats and they seem to be keeping them in at night. Have no pics, no signs and no barking.

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    Splat, I’ve been in your neighbors’ shoes and maybe you should put yourself in those same shoes. First, the cats are not the problem, your barking dog waking people up at 3:00 a.m. is the problem. As others have posted, feral cats roam all neighborhoods, this is a problem for animal control to resolve. Your barking dog is YOUR problem. By deflecting the blame you are basically saying ***** the neighbors, I’ve got my rights*. You have the power to resolve the entire situation and save for some dog hair in your home, everyone wins. I noted that you treat your pets like you treat your kids. I treat my pets like they are my kids as well, but I wouldn’t make my kids sleep outside. Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh but I’ve been the guy that lives behind you and I can tell you sleep deprivation makes some people a little grumpy.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    Take those little pads with the really sticky glue for catchng mice and attach to top of the fence. When the cat, possum, etc get stuck, they will go into a panic, and hopefully all into your yard. Waiting dog will quit barking when he has a mouth full of fur. Around here, I just shoot every cat, not matter who it belongs to, if its in my yard. Done it many times and will continue to shoot any and all animals in my yard. Live traps do work, but sometimes it takes time for the cats to go into them.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I spent 7 years living next to the "cat owner" of the neighborhood. He was real considerate and left food out all of the time. So every coon and possum in the area would come by for a midnight snack. But since there were a ton of cats in the yard the other critters would mosey over to my yard and cause all kinds of issues.

I walked out the back door one afternnon around 4 and saw a coon eating my hammock. I was pissed and the glock 19 put a round right thru the bugger's head then and there. Scared up a trash bag and that was that. And I live in the center of town too...

I shot 2 possums one night, they were trying to attack my wifes dog. I still think the wife is impressed by how quick I shot them both.

I took out about 40 over that 7 yr period. I tried a trap, caught 6 cats in that many nights before I gave up. I was tempted to let them go swimming in the cage, since the other "neighbor" I had was a canal. But I let them go. Still hate the smell of cat shite, and those things never crap in their own yard...

Peaunut butter works great to catch stuff in traps, BTW. That is what I used to catch the cats.

Top Bottom