Need Help W/ Torque Wrench, Please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I have all but the tq wrench, currently, and kindof would like to add one to my arsenal of tools. I've heard mixed things about the cheap one's, both in this thread and other places. I'm still mulling the tq wrench situation over.

What was I thinking. For you, only a Snap-On will suffice. Don't waste your time on anything cheaper. I'd also recommend a heavy magnifying glass or microscope, so that while adjusting the wrench's torque setting you can get it lined up *exactly*. Have both the muzzle device and AR wrench blueprinted and balanced, you definitely don't want any slop there throwing off your reading. Once you've got the flash hider properly torqued, buy a second Snap-On wrench to follow up and verify that the first wrench was in fact accurate. If it's not within a tolerance of 0.0001ft/lbs scrap the barrel, flash hider and tools and start over.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    What was I thinking. For you, only a Snap-On will suffice. Don't waste your time on anything cheaper. I'd also recommend a heavy magnifying glass or microscope, so that while adjusting the wrench's torque setting you can get it lined up *exactly*. Have both the muzzle device and AR wrench blueprinted and balanced, you definitely don't want any slop there throwing off your reading. Once you've got the flash hider properly torqued, buy a second Snap-On wrench to follow up and verify that the first wrench was in fact accurate. If it's not within a tolerance of 0.0001ft/lbs scrap the barrel, flash hider and tools and start over.

lol, I was thinking anyone with Gucci Ar brands needs Snap On.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    lol Ironically only there beam torque wrenches have a life time warranty.

http://www.craftsman.com/cswarranty/nb-100000000227082#point2

8190020917_18e955f791.jpg

Are those the ones you have? :heart: $600 for a pair and you just about stole them.

yeah, but mine are both the red digital not the tech angle(grey)

I bought them off the truck too, offered him cash, guess he had a bill due or something.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have the snap on wrench, it cost me about $600 for the 1/2 and 3/8. For most torque wrenches you want to be in their middle torque range, not the highest and not the lowest. a 3/8 should be fine for your application, its actually the one required for headblots on half the imports I work on, so you should rarely need anything more, find the snap on 3/8 digital on ebay you'll get a deal and not have a need to ever buy another one.

Very nice!

The wrench I have is 1/2".

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

Selling my Noveske. Was unaware that Daniel Defense was "Gucci".

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I would get the ratcheting click type, as the beam types are a little trickier to use properly. The handle will be pinned in the middle, and to have the proper torque, you technically have to not have the handle resting on the beam either front or back, but all the load on the pin, and this takes care and practice.

buy a ratcheting click type, set it and forget it. Don't break the bank, cheaper one will do. If you don't use the wrench at different torque settings daily, store the wrench dialed to it's lowest setting to keep it's accuracy.

Also, keep in mind, I don't know how the bolt you are talking about is secured, but if it is necessary to use a crows foot or an extension on the wrench that makes it longer, this changes the applied torque. Either do the math (this sucks) or use the crowsfoot or extension at a 90 degree angle (L shape) to keep the point of applied torque the same.

Here is the math if you are interested, I just apply it at a 90

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExtension/TorqueExtension.htm

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I've installed muzzle devices with a receiver block with no issues. I just have a barrel vise, so use that when possible.

I've never broken a receiver or extension pin...

You'll be fine either way.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Curt's right, bro. Don't sell yourself short. If you spend anything less than $800 to install your $130 muzzle device it will never work properly for you. Don't forget to verify the composition of the metals and send it to Boeing to get precise measurements taken.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Jeez. I'm just trying to follow the exact steps that the inventor of the muzzle-device outlined in his own how-to video, and they include a torque wrench, and I don't want one so crappy that it negates me having used it, and I need an education on tq wrenches. That's really all there is to this :/

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Jeez. I'm just trying to follow the exact steps that the inventor of the muzzle-device outlined in his own how-to video, and they include a torque wrench, and I don't want one so crappy that it negates me having used it, and I need an education on tq wrenches. That's really all there is to this :/

It's obvious you like cars, you probably work on them yourself correct? Just buy the snap on and be done with it. Chances are you'll have to use it again, its digital and sets an alarm when you reach the correct torque. The 3/8 is all you should need. And theres no worrying about the accuracy, and letting the pressire off the spring like a regular torque wrench. It can lose its accuracy but I have seen them in use daily for years without losing the torque specs.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's obvious you like cars, you probably work on them yourself correct? Just buy the snap on and be done with it. Chances are you'll have to use it again, its digital and sets an alarm when you reach the correct torque. The 3/8 is all you should need. And theres no worrying about the accuracy, and letting the pressire off the spring like a regular torque wrench. It can lose its accuracy but I have seen them in use daily for years without losing the torque specs.

My cars are all factory regarding anything that has torque specs that must be specifically followed. I did the whole modded thing with a 5.0 once, and am an intake/exhaust/tint/tires kind of person, now.

That said, I think I need a 1/2" to interface with my flash-hider wrench. An adapter should work, shouldn't it, or will this create more leverage and apply more tq than the wrench is reading? Sorry, but this aspect of math is NOT my strong point.

I probably should just sack up and buy a nice one, but I don't want to because I've never used one before, and other than things like muzzle-devices, etc. I don't forsee it. I don't even know where to buy snap-on tools. For a muzzle device +-10% should be fine (thats 2#...) and any POS should handle that, shouldn't it?

Last edited:

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    My cars are all factory regarding anything that has torque specs that must be specifically followed. I did the whole modded thing with a 5.0 once, and am an intake/exhaust/tint/tires kind of person, now.

That said, I think I need a 1/2" to interface with my flash-hider wrench. An adapter should work, shouldn't it, or will this create more leverage and apply more tq than the wrench is reading? Sorry, but this aspect of math is NOT my strong point.

I probably should just sack up and buy a nice one, but I don't want to because I've never used one before, and other than things like muzzle-devices, etc. I don't forsee it. I don't even know where to buy snap-on tools. For a muzzle device +-10% should be fine (thats 2#...) and any POS should handle that, shouldn't it?

Ebay is the best for snap on tools or craigslist, as far as price goes anyway.

Adding an adapter would actually decrease the amount of torque applied in most cases. When i have to use an extension it's usually a long one and may vary about 2-3lb, with just an adapter it wouldnt vary past the standard +or- of most wrenches.

For your application, and use just go to sears and buy a digital craftsman torque wrench in 3/8 and you'll be fine. At 20lb's you do not want to use a 1/2 because the spectrum on them usually starts around 20lb's. When torquing you want the mean of the wrench being used to be close to what your torquing as you lose accuracy when you are at the minimum or maximum of it's capability.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Ebay is the best for snap on tools or craigslist, as far as price goes anyway.

Adding an adapter would actually decrease the amount of torque applied in most cases. When i have to use an extension it's usually a long one and may vary about 2-3lb, with just an adapter it wouldnt vary past the standard +or- of most wrenches.

For your application, and use just go to sears and buy a digital craftsman torque wrench in 3/8 and you'll be fine. At 20lb's you do not want to use a 1/2 because the spectrum on them usually starts around 20lb's. When torquing you want the mean of the wrench being used to be close to what your torquing as you lose accuracy when you are at the minimum or maximum of it's capability.

Thanks! The wrench is 1/2" for whatever reason, so I will buy an adapter.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Have it calibrated a split second before you use it also,,,, TO BE DEAD ON BALLS ACCURATE,,,, its an industry term.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ilpadrino2311
    Top Bottom