New Charger Cop Cars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I’ve always assumed the subdued markings were political in origin. They seemed to come to about the same time PD was getting such a hard time in the media. That was undeserved and unfair. We need LEO for a society to thrive. It seemed like they were trying make the police less visible so as not upset their voter base.

However I could be wrong.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You mean like the advice that nearly every Police Department and Sheriff's Office continually warn people about?

What MOTOR said is sound advice that I've heard from multiple officers from small departments up to LSP. Put your flashers on, slow down, call 911 and confirm that the car behind you with lights on is actually an officer, and drive to the nearest well lit public place where there are other people around. I've never heard of a single cop saying they would rather you pull over on the dimly lit road on a curve in the middle of nowhere. They like being able to see as much as you do.

Nothing to disagree with here. My point is here is a safe solution that has been working well for years, and out come these ghost decal cars and muddy the water.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Nothing to disagree with here. My point is here is a safe solution that has been working well for years, and out come these ghost decal cars and muddy the water.

LEA's were using plain unmarked vehicles before anyone on BS was born.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I don't consider 'popo' to be derogatory. You make many assumptions. A large percentage of my friends are popo.

I felt the same way. I call myself a bean-counter all the time, but while I take my job quite seriously, not so much with me personally. Kind of like buying a Marine buddy a box of crayons For his birthday and labeling them ‘do not eat’. It’s just goofing around.

But it’s noted that ‘Popo’ is a no go.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    LEA's were using plain unmarked vehicles before anyone on BS was born.

For traffic duty?

Its been widely discussed as long as I can remember unmarked cars could be imposters and to exercise caution when stopping for one. Once cell phones went mainstream the mantra became call it in just to be sure. It just seems this is an about face to most every department’s public position.

Also there were tons of things done before your or I where born, but that’s not a good measurement for right and wrong or if something is a good or bad idea.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For traffic duty?

Its been widely discussed as long as I can remember unmarked cars could be imposters and to exercise caution when stopping for one. Once cell phones went mainstream the mantra became call it in just to be sure. It just seems this is an about face to most every department’s public position.

Yes, for traffic duty. In some (I'd say most) jurisdictions, traffics stops are not the exclusive domain of a single traffic unit. Any officer/deputy will generally execute a traffic stop should one be warranted.

If you're saying that calling in to make sure it's the police "is an about face to most every department’s public position," please provide the press release or website or whatever they used to make their position public. I've never heard of any department say the driver should not call 911 to ensure it's the real police behind them.

Also there were tons of things done before your or I where born, but that’s not a good measurement for right and wrong or if something is a good or bad idea.

Nothing like trying to take a complete 180. Unmarked cars were part of the solution before the ghost cars. We know, based on your words, the solution worked and was safe. Therefore, unmarked cars cannot be one of the "tons of things."

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yes, for traffic duty. In some (I'd say most) jurisdictions, traffics stops are not the exclusive domain of a single traffic unit. Any officer/deputy will generally execute a traffic stop should one be warranted.

If you're saying that calling in to make sure it's the police "is an about face to most every department’s public position," please provide the press release or website or whatever they used to make their position public. I've never heard of any department say the driver should not call 911 to ensure it's the real police behind them.

Nothing like trying to take a complete 180. Unmarked cars were part of the solution before the ghost cars. We know, based on your words, the solution worked and was safe. Therefore, unmarked cars cannot be one of the "tons of things."

1. An officer in an unmarked car making A stop because of necessity isn’t the same as working a traffic detail in an unmarked car and you know it first hand.

2. I’m 35 so there are ton of things that happened prior to me being born that were bad decisions so justifying an action based on the fact that it had been done before isn’t an argument. It’s nostalgia. However in my lifetime departments all over this country have cautioned people about stopping for unmarked cars. So yes adding unmarked or ghost marked cars to traffic enforcement as a primary purpose does seem to muddy the water. I’m not really understanding how you think I’ve done a 180. If you had some statical evidence that shows marked traffic enforcement is less effective at creating safer roads I would relegate my 35 years of experience on this earth as nostalgia.

I’m not saying traffic enforcement should be marked because that’s how it’s always been I’m saying it appears to be a more effective way to keep the roadways safe.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1. An officer in an unmarked car making A stop because of necessity isn’t the same as working a traffic detail in an unmarked car and you know it first hand.

2. I’m 35 so there are ton of things that happened prior to me being born that were bad decisions so justifying an action based on the fact that it had been done before isn’t an argument. It’s nostalgia. However in my lifetime departments all over this country have cautioned people about stopping for unmarked cars. So yes adding unmarked or ghost marked cars to traffic enforcement as a primary purpose does seem to muddy the water. I’m not really understanding how you think I’ve done a 180. If you had some statical evidence that shows marked traffic enforcement is less effective at creating safer roads I would relegate my 35 years of experience on this earth as nostalgia.

I’m not saying traffic enforcement should be marked because that’s how it’s always been I’m saying it appears to be a more effective way to keep the roadways safe.

So let me be clear on what I know first hand. A traffic unit should not be made up entirely of unmarked units. An unmarked unit does have its place in a traffic unit. An unmarked unit can supplement the work of the marked units. The unmarked unit should perform traffic stops as warranted. Not as necessary. As warranted. There is a difference. I know first hand the value of having a marked unit for deterrence and an unmarked unit to catch those that only have integrity when there is a marked unit around.

If you can see how going from saying using some unmarked cars "is a safe solution that has been working well for years" to saying just because it was done before does not mean it's good isn't a 180, there's nothing I can say to explain it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So let me be clear on what I know first hand. A traffic unit should not be made up entirely of unmarked units. An unmarked unit does have its place in a traffic unit. An unmarked unit can supplement the work of the marked units. The unmarked unit should perform traffic stops as warranted. Not as necessary. As warranted. There is a difference. I know first hand the value of having a marked unit for deterrence and an unmarked unit to catch those that only have integrity when there is a marked unit around.

If you can see how going from saying using some unmarked cars "is a safe solution that has been working well for years" to saying just because it was done before does not mean it's good isn't a 180, there's nothing I can say to explain it.

No the safe solution had everything to do with finding a well lit place to stop and calling 911 when someone attempts to stop you in an unmarked car. The unmarked car was never a solution in my book. Adding unmarked cars for the purpose of traffic enforcement increases the odds of being stopped by a vehicle that may be a threat to my family's safety. If I’m lucky it will only ever be a police officer, but there’s a chance a criminal could be driving the unmarked car.

I just don’t find it necessary to disguise a police car as a civilian sports car. I don’t care about the driver in the lane next to me’s integrity. I care that he maintains his lane and we all get where we need to go safely. Yeah there are some crazy people riding the roads and doing some dangerous things but I don’t see this making roads safe enough to make up for the increased likelihood I get stopped by an unmarked car that ain’t a police officer.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No the safe solution had everything to do with finding a well lit place to stop and calling 911 when someone attempts to stop you in an unmarked car. The unmarked car was never a solution in my book. Adding unmarked cars for the purpose of traffic enforcement increases the odds of being stopped by a vehicle that may be a threat to my family's safety. If I’m lucky it will only ever be a police officer.

vfkuh3qm9idilgwib76.jpg

I just don’t find it necessary to disguise a police car as a civilian sports car. I don’t care about the driver in the lane next to me’s integrity. I care that he maintains his lane and we all get where we need to go safely. Yeah there are some crazy people riding the roads and doing some dangerous things but I don’t see this making roads safe enough to make up for the increased likelihood I get stopped by an unmarked car that ain’t a police officer.

What's the probability now you will get stopped by an unmarked car that isn't a police officer?

You forgot to provide the press release or website or whatever the police departments used to make their position on a driver calling 911 public.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlbt.com/2019/12/04/man-driving-kia-soul-arrested-pulling-over-driver-pearl/%3foutputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ww...iana/289-8526532d-e4ee-4701-945c-aa8b0f799459

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...es-new-report-of-police-impersonator/25893644

From the last article.

The Sheriff's Department is asking any motorist who is blue-lighted by a suspicious unmarked vehicle to activate your flashers and call 911. Dispatchers will confirm if the patrol car is real and will give you instructions.

While I have no problem with people calling 911 if they feel unsafe. Should traffic enforcement cause increased calls to 911 so we feel safe just because your unit doesn’t have stickers?

This won’t make the roads safer it will only allow you an opportunity to punish people who broke a law slightly more effectively if you are luck.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    vfkuh3qm9idilgwib76.jpg

What's the probability now you will get stopped by an unmarked car that isn't a police officer?

You forgot to provide the press release or website or whatever the police departments used to make their position on a driver calling 911 public.

I never said there was a press release saying don’t call 911. But if you send people out in unmarked units to make traffic stops and you tell everyone call 911 if you are stopped by an unmarked car you create a lot of useless 911 calls.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I never said there was a press release saying don’t call 911. But if you send people out in unmarked units to make traffic stops and you tell everyone call 911 if you are stopped by an unmarked car you create a lot of useless 911 calls.

You're changing your story so much that you can't even keep your own stories straight. Why don't you take some time to go back and read the posts again, both your posts and others' posts. You're changing your stance, you're defending positions that aren't being attacked, and you're ignoring the questions that are too difficult for you to answer.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

You're changing your story so much that you can't even keep your own stories straight. Why don't you take some time to go back and read the posts again, both your posts and others' posts. You're changing your stance, you're defending positions that aren't being attacked, and you're ignoring the questions that are too difficult for you to answer.

Here's where I think we are loosing one another.

Narratives like this have been widely used for decades

The Sheriff's Department is asking any motorist who is blue-lighted by a suspicious unmarked vehicle to activate your flashers and call 911. Dispatchers will confirm if the patrol car is real and will give you instructions.

I never said unmarked cars of any quantity was a safe solution. I think it only adds to the confusion.

I said advice like the above is a safe solution to an unmarked vehicle attempting to make a stop.

Putting unmarked cars on the road for the purpose of making traffic stops increases the amount of unmarked vehicles attempting to make stops.

Using unmarked cars for the explicit purpose of traffic enforcement will do one or both.
    Increase 911 calls from motorist being stopped by the actual police
    Or
    Decrease the calls for unmarked vehicles who may not be police

To finish the above thought if people stop calling 911 because they think its an unmarked police vehicle then the odds of being pulled over by a criminal increase.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I post the the above post in error before I was done typing I have added my comments from this post to the above, so if someone wants to delete this post I would appreciate it.

To finish the above thought if people stop calling 911 because they think its an unmarked police vehicle then the odds of being pulled over by a criminal increase.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Also to answer a question I "ignored".

The probability to being stopped by an impostor is currently pretty low but likely will increase relative to the number of unmarked units utilized in my surrounding area. That's the concern.

Using this tactic wont increase driver integrity only punish those without it and unlucky enough to be caught, and I doubt it will make any significant impact on public safety either.

If there is another I guess I missed it.

Top Bottom