New Ruger 308 Scout Carbine

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Sorry to derail the topic here, but what's the point of that rifle? I don't see the appeal. It's a lightweight, short barrel, bolt action 308. There's plenty of them out there already. Is it the fact it's made by ruger or possibly the box magazine?

If it's the box mag....why would you need 10rnds in a bolt gun? What's the point? For whatever a bolt gun could possibly be used for by us, even 4 rounds is too many IMHO....Give me a ruger #1 or a saiga 308....There's really nothing in-between for me.

or maybe I just have bad taste.....

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Sorry to derail the topic here, but what's the point of that rifle? I don't see the appeal. It's a lightweight, short barrel, bolt action 308. There's plenty of them out there already. Is it the fact it's made by ruger or possibly the box magazine?

If it's the box mag....why would you need 10rnds in a bolt gun? What's the point? For whatever a bolt gun could possibly be used for by us, even 4 rounds is too many IMHO....Give me a ruger #1 or a saiga 308....There's really nothing in-between for me.

or maybe I just have bad taste.....

Something tells me you havn't read much of Col Jeff Cooper...

As to "Why"

97.9% of guns are simply....

Because someone will buy them.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Something tells me you havn't read much of Col Jeff Cooper...

As to "Why"

97.9% of guns are simply....

Because someone will buy them.

Sorry it's so obvious. Thanks for the recommendations though. I do love reading.

And...

I guess I didn't think of that because it's just so obvious. Thanks! My problem I guess is that I see my firearms as tools. Just select the right tool for the job and be done with it.....I guess I'm not a collector.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    As to the issue of lost accuracy with shorter barrels, they also said that most of the M24 sniper rifles have 20" barrels (however, Wiki says 24" and 29") and those guys commonly make much longer shots that we do when hunting.

Take a look at the lenght of the barrels use in Bench Rest competitions.
    Most barrels average around 18". If you are shooting +0.250" @ 200 yds. you are barely in the game.
    The 1000yd. guns will have longer barrels.

Art

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I glanced at the picture and read the description and was extremely confused when i noticed it was a bolt action. Still want it, but i was hoping Ruger came out with their own M1A

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I glanced at the picture and read the description and was extremely confused when i noticed it was a bolt action. Still want it, but i was hoping Ruger came out with their own M1A

They made one in .243 & .308. Made about 100 then they pulled it out of production.
    They claim that there was some kind of production issue that couldn't be resolved. I think it was political, myself.

This one sold for $6,000+ in Oct. of this year.
    It was placed for auction by Ruger.
    I think the NRA raffled one off a couple of years ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192933971

Art

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    They made one in .243 & .308. Made about 100 then they pulled it out of production.
    They claim that there was some kind of production issue that couldn't be resolved. I think it was political, myself.

This one sold for $6,000+ in Oct. of this year.
    It was placed for auction by Ruger.
    I think the NRA raffled one off a couple of years ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192933971

Art

DAMN!!! thats spensive! I was hoping for more in the $1k range lol

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Take a look at the lenght of the barrels use in Bench Rest competitions. Most barrels average around 18". If you are shooting +0.250" @ 200 yds. you are barely in the game. The 1000yd. guns will have longer barrels.

How much would another 4" - 6" of barrel affect most 200 yard (or less) shots?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    MSRP on the new one is $995.

I can see the attraction to a 10 round mag on a bolt gun. When I first saw the pic I thought they made it to accept M14 mags...

This might be just what I want, but I'll wait for some reviews.

As far as glass, you could do a red dot and magnifier. A LER ACOG (if they make one) would be perfect.

A flash hider (noveske kx3 type?) might be better in this instance. Actually I'm thinking about a can...

Last edited:

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    How much would another 4" - 6" of barrel affect most 200 yard (or less) shots?

The only real benifit from a longer barrel is velocity. I have had 18" barreled rifles that shot wonderful. By wonderful I am talking in the .200-.250" range and they were not benchrest guns. The shorter barrels make them easier to handle and balance better.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The only real benifit from a longer barrel is velocity. I have had 18" barreled rifles that shot wonderful. By wonderful I am talking in the .200-.250" range and they were not benchrest guns. The shorter barrels make them easier to handle and balance better.

This^^^^^^^

My 16.5" 7mm-08 will print 0.25" or better at 100 yds.
    Ruger makes excellent barrels. Sometimes you have to find a bullet that they like, but when you do :bigok:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    How is it better than a .308 Gas Gun?

Again, I'm no expert and have not conducted any studies on it myself. I have heard the general rule to be that anytime the brass remains stationary and the weapon does not utilize gas to operate the action, more velocity for the projectile is achieved. I suppose there is some added accuracy there as well, maybe for the same reason that the cartridge/brass does not move on its own when fired. :dunno:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I buy that. They certainly aren't more accurate or simpler to use. SR25K outta your price range? say it ain't sooooo....

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I buy that. They certainly aren't more accurate or simpler to use. SR25K outta your price range? say it ain't sooooo....

I'll be honest, I'd probably find more use with one that had a flush magazine. This will make a handy brush gun and give you more capability than say a lever gun in .30-30.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This is why you pick the scope for the application. There are a few long eye relief scope and even specific scout scopes out there. Lots of folks buy pistol scopes and many work well on scouts.

Sure pick the scope but as stated before you are limiting your options. Pistol scopes do not have the magnification rifle scopes will have. If only shooting < 200 yards then I guess who cares. But you are limiting yourself on choices.

Charlie everything I have read states that for a .308Win the powder burn rates that cartrage uses takes 18-19" of barrel for the powder to have complete burn. Thus the big flash with shorter barrels. That is powder that has not fully combusted before the projectile leaves the barrel. And that pressure that could have been implied to the projectile has been lost.

Same to be said about shorter barrels. Less time for the gas to act on the projectile. For .308 every inch is about 15fps difference. For < 200 yards it is not going to make a whole bunch. The flatter trajectory really comes in to play at longer ranges. It will make some difference of course but would not be a major concern to me for the ranges you are considering.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Sure pick the scope but as stated before you are limiting your options. Pistol scopes do not have the magnification rifle scopes will have. If only shooting < 200 yards then I guess who cares. But you are limiting yourself on choices.

Charlie everything I have read states that for a .308Win the powder burn rates that cartrage uses takes 18-19" of barrel for the powder to have complete burn. Thus the big flash with shorter barrels. That is powder that has not fully combusted before the projectile leaves the barrel. And that pressure that could have been implied to the projectile has been lost.

Same to be said about shorter barrels. Less time for the gas to act on the projectile. For .308 every inch is about 15fps difference. For < 200 yards it is not going to make a whole bunch. The flatter trajectory really comes in to play at longer ranges. It will make some difference of course but would not be a major concern to me for the ranges you are considering.

I don't see the scout as a battle rifle. More like a flexible platform that will work well in the brush on on more open ranges. I think you will be fine at 300 yards with this rifle. If you don't like the scout scope setup, just mount the scope in the traditional location (it has the integral mounts). I don't have a problem with either.... but I'm not shooting 1000 yards either.

Give me a shorter box mag and I see it as a handy hunting rifle.

Top Bottom