Obama says death penality has problems including racial bias

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/2/obama-troubled-by-botched-oklahoma-execution/

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says the botched execution of an Oklahoma inmate highlights significant problems with the death penalty, and he’s asking the attorney general for a review.
    Obama says he found inmate Clayton Lockett’s execution Tuesday “deeply troubling.”
    Lockett convulsed violently during the execution and tried to lift his head after a doctor declared him unconscious. He later died of an apparent heart attack.
    Obama said at a news conference Friday that he believes the death penalty is merited in some cases and that Lockett’s crimes were heinous. But he says the penalty’s application in the U.S. has problems, including racial bias and the eventual exoneration of some death row inmates.
    He says he’s asking Attorney General Eric Holder for an analysis of the death penalty’s application.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I don't see why we have such elaborate and expensive execution methods. Now, I would like to be sure the person is guilty, I hate the thought of an innocent person serving jail time or being executed. If we are sure they are guilty, offer them a Zanex or some sedative if they want, and put a bullet into their head.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I don't see why we have such elaborate and expensive execution methods. Now, I would like to be sure the person is guilty, I hate the thought of an innocent person serving jail time or being executed. If we are sure they are guilty, offer them a Zanex or some sedative if they want, and put a bullet into their head.

It's to make the people watching feel better. I find the more the execution method improves the more it looks less traumatic to the viewer, but is more traumatic to the person being killed.
    I'm not terrifically find of execution because of the chance innocent people can be convicted and killed. It's a slim chance, but there's a reason justice has to be played safe.

Sent from iPhone. Inconsequential word may have been left to die on editing floor.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Oh really. This place gets classier and classier.

MOTOR 51

That saying has been around for a long time. Used a lot in the plants. It's not as literal as it sounds.

Matter of fact. Just remembered. My dad's desk "tag" at the office says.
    We**** "HNIC" Ba***
    President

We had it made for a joke about 2 years ago I think

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That saying has been around for a long time. Used a lot in the plants. It's not as literal as it sounds.

Matter of fact. Just remembered. My dad's desk "tag" at the office says.
    We**** "HNIC" Ba***
    President

We had it made for a joke about 2 years ago I think

I must have thought it meant something different. The word I was thinking of would not go over well with some people.

MOTOR 51

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I must have thought it meant something different. The word I was thinking of would not go over well with some people.

MOTOR 51

Yea man I didn't see it starred it out. It stands
    For head nig-ga in charge. It has been around for as log as I can remember. I first heard it in a plant I went too for work. I asked who I needed to see in the drafting dept and I was told to go in the front office and ask for the HNIC. Lol it's a laxed acronym.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Pretty sure Denzel referred to himself as such in one movie or another, or maybe it was Samuel L. Jackson. Used to be pretty popular in ghetto slang as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The problem with executions is that they cost more than keeping someone in prison permanently. Its just not worth the effort. Since the executions are done so secretively they don't deter others effectively. They do keep the criminal from committing more crimes but so would permanently jailing them. Our current jail system is just too expensive and labor intensive. I still say we need to build a walled open jail or island (ala Escape from New York) and make it be for life with no release ever.

If we're going to keep the current system then the appeals need to be settled back to back. Make the appeals no more than 4 months apart and get it over with. 10 years on death row is unnecessary.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm pretty sure this will work in liberal city's/states, Heck we can send them half of N.O. and 1/3 of B.R. to lets say San Francisco ?

The problem with executions is that they cost more than keeping someone in prison permanently. Its just not worth the effort. Since the executions are done so secretively they don't deter others effectively. They do keep the criminal from committing more crimes but so would permanently jailing them. Our current jail system is just too expensive and labor intensive. I still say we need to build a walled open jail or island (ala Escape from New York) and make it be for life with no release ever.

If we're going to keep the current system then the appeals need to be settled back to back. Make the appeals no more than 4 months apart and get it over with. 10 years on death row is unnecessary.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I don't really understand all the recent botched executions. Back in the day the firing squad worked perfectly every time and seemed pretty much instant and painless. Come to think of it, so did the guillotine and hanging. What happened?

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Pretty sure Denzel referred to himself as such in one movie or another, or maybe it was Samuel L. Jackson. Used to be pretty popular in ghetto slang as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

First place I heard it was in Jackie Brown, from Sam Jackson's character. Also the source of my favorite movie line of all time.

Sent from iPhone. Inconsequential word may have been left to die on editing floor.

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    I don't really understand all the recent botched executions. Back in the day the firing squad worked perfectly every time and seemed pretty much instant and painless. Come to think of it, so did the guillotine and hanging. What happened?

Problems with the old ways were the hangman would sometimes "accidentally" adjust the knot wrong and there'd be a dancer instead of a hanger. Firing squads sometimes also didn't quite aim to kill immediately.
    Moving along, the electric chair was proposed by Thomas Edison in an attempt to undermine Nikola Tesla's work with a competing power format, AC current, by showing how dangerous it was. The first guy to fry caught fire and still took several more tries to finally kill him with an electric current.

louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans

lol cost more to execute than keep in jail for life bullets are 50 cents each and rope can be reused. But I do think your on the right track with the escape from New York idea

Top Bottom