Precision.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaerros

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Seems like if steel were the issue, they would ban all steel-jacketed or core ammo because their backstop isn't rated against, it, not ban guns which aren't necessarily firing steel.

That said, it must be they want to 'ban' reckless or rowdy people' by banning the gun they use, instead. IIRC, they already have rules against people being reckless with their weapons anyway.

It seems like to me, if you're a responsible AK or AK-style gun owner, you're set to get a lot of flak from both anti-gun people *and* [ironically] pro-gun individuals...seems pretty sad.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    No. But if you get retarded with your ghetto broom, as a member, they can revoke your membership, and THAT will cost you.

Its not a grand conspiracy against AK/SKS fanciers, despite what some here in the past have whined about.

I have encountered less stupidity and a higher level of proficiency at ranges where you have to be a member or guest. Stupidest things I have encountered were at the BZ. But the BZ was a ton of fun when no idiots were there. I alway felt good about the BS.com members there. BS.com member did make an investment in trying to better the place.
    There is definitely a correlation between investment and behavior. More so when losing the investment is risk of the behavior.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The hard truth is, your average nimrod, who is mild-mannered and conscientious, can become uber-retarded and think he's the next Rambo when he gets a- gasp- "assault rifle" in his hands. I have seen this happen a lot; as recently as yesterday, in fact.

Are you talking about at the range or on BS.com?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    And you know this how???

Get a grip. They are running a business. Everyone involved in management that I have spoken with could give a **** less about the politics of their customers, or what guns they like/use. The hard truth is, your average nimrod, who is mild-mannered and conscientious, can become uber-retarded and think he's the next Rambo when he gets a- gasp- "assault rifle" in his hands. I have seen this happen a lot; as recently as yesterday, in fact.

But the main reason for this rule can be laid squarely at the feet of one particular group. And if you think about it real hard, you'll know who I'm referring to.

Precision management just wants to make money while providing a reasonably safe environment. And if dipshits are continually shooting up the target rails and other infrastructure, then they can't make money, now, can they?

YOU might not be a dipshit. YOU might even have a clue about your favorite Com bloc shoulder gun. Precision's experience is, most folks who walk in the door with one... are, and don't.

As far as that flak you so wistfully mention... you're right. Why? Because of all the NON-responsible AK/AK-style gun owners. It is unfortunate, but another truth is that the AK has become firmly entrenched in some minds as a "bad guy gun". I have no intention of debating the rightness or wrongness of that... it is a fact, accept it or not as you choose. As to the why... well, we're back to that group again...

Have you ever been responsible for the safety of others, where large numbers of disparate folks were wielding lethal implements? I suspect not. Otherwise, your tone would be different. I can understand exactly where Precision is coming from with this rule. My pro-2A side thinks it is onerous... but my realistic side knows it is practical and necessary.

BTW... I have no interest in Precision, financial or otherwise. I go there once every couple of months to shoot with a friend, but stay the hell out of south BR for the most part. I have met the owners, but I doubt they would remember me. The reason I jumped to their defense here is because I get tired of self-proclaimed experts spouting ******** on certain topics... like the one a few months back where several genuises were saying the entire LA CCW program was developed strictly as a revenue producer. What really scares me is, these people can vote... and reproduce.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Just went to shot a new Sks that I picked up a week ago and they told me that I had to be a member to shoot a Sks or an ak47. I asked how much is it to be a member and was told 350.00 for a yearly membership. Then I asked why I had to have a membership to shoot and he said because people act stupid with Sks's and AK's. Whats this all about?

The guy's ignorant. Blow him off and go find a good range.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have encountered less stupidity and a higher level of proficiency at ranges where you have to be a member or guest. Stupidest things I have encountered were at the BZ. But the BZ was a ton of fun when no idiots were there. I alway felt good about the BS.com members there. BS.com member did make an investment in trying to better the place.
    There is definitely a correlation between investment and behavior. More so when losing the investment is risk of the behavior.

Hi RDO. I've been to the BZ many, many times, and only on four occasions did I see idiots do dangerous things. On one occasion a guy fanned a BS member. On two other occasions a guy walked downrange while we were shooting. On a fourth occasion a guy shot at a piece of steel at about 25 yards downrange. I got the ricochet past my ear. Other than those four times I really haven't seen stupid stuff. On the other hand at Bayou Dragon and Shooters' Club I've been fanned MANY times.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The hard truth is, your average nimrod, who is mild-mannered and conscientious, can become uber-retarded and think he's the next Rambo when he gets a- gasp- "assault rifle" in his hands. I have seen this happen a lot; as recently as yesterday, in fact.

Are you talking about the ******* with the SlideFire???? :D

BTW, thank you for helping my wife pull the trigger on a very nice gun. If I could her to be more comfortable, she would be dangerous. She can be extremely accurate and consistent when she lets herself. She shrank her groups down to about 5" with the P2000SK before we left.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just went to shot a new Sks that I picked up a week ago and they told me that I had to be a member to shoot a Sks or an ak47. I asked how much is it to be a member and was told 350.00 for a yearly membership. Then I asked why I had to have a membership to shoot and he said because people act stupid with Sks's and AK's. Whats this all about?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Diamond Training Center on S. Choctaw let's you shoot AK/SKS. Your fee will be $20 for the day and you'll have to shoot on the last lane. Their target pulleys are broken, so you have to walk down-range... but the place generally isn't very crowded if they're not having a class. Worth going if you don't wanna make the drive out to Sherburne.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I just go to Baker when I want to shoot my AK. Great place.

Precision has the right to make whatever rule they want. I can see where theyre coming from on that one, honestly.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The last time I was at Baker we had an impromptu class as well. Two big boned girls from around the area rented a smaller 9mm Glock and were confused why it was jamming constantly.

Once I showed them a combat grip and told them what to expect, they were going through the entire magazine without issue and generally hitting the silhouette.

One of them couldn't deal with the noise, so I gave her a new set of plugs to wear under her muffs. She had never shot anything before, so my friends and I started her on a .22 and let her get used to shooting first.

Once she understood the safety rules and got used to handling the .22, she moved on to the rental and did well.

That said, assclowns bump-firing an AK who have no idea what "gun safety" means, frighten me.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I can understand why they don't want people shooting x39 there. However, there are many other reasons why I hate giving them my money. Sadly, until Geaux Shootin opens up I am stuck there. Hurry up guys!

na4now

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge, La.
    I just shoot at my place, I don't like shooting at ranges some of the folks I see with guns makes me nervous

I know what you mean. I was at Precision a few days ago, and there were a couple of guys in the next lane, that were obviously not trained in how to safely handle a fire arm. One, was just wasting away at 13rd mags, and at the end of one, his friend said something like, "yeh mane, ...you wudda got that *****." Having that right on the side of me, made me real nervous. I think I'll where a vest next time.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't be afraid to say something to unsafe people around you immediately and tell guys at the front desk. I have to say something to a shooter almost every visit to any public range.

On the plus side, public ranges will teach you to "scan for threats" and be well aware of your surroundings!

Top Bottom