Recommend a good scotch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    so i just tried my first taste of scotch. my girlfriends work has been letting them take home bottles of liquor left over from the previous tenants and she brought me a bottle of glenlivet which was pretty damn good. it was really smooth which i wasnt expecting at all. so since this one was used and half gone when i got it i need some recommendations on what to try next! and please no crazy 300 dollar bottles.....im in college

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Macallan... Balvenie... Glenfiddich... the list goes on.

ETA: Macallan 12 is a good place to start and you can always move up to some of their higher end varieties. Laphroaig seems to have gotten popular lately, but is a bit "peaty" so proceed with caution.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Technically not scotch but I don't know if we are splitting hairs or not here but if you want something good to drink get a bottle of Jameson and enjoy.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I personally think you started with the best. I have had almost all of them and the regular 12yr old Glenlivet is hard to beat. The absolute best tasting scotch that I have ever had is hands down their 15yr old French Oak Reserve. I think it taste better than their older more expensive stuff as well as any of the other $150-$300 a bottle stuff I've had. For something even more budget friendly the Johnny Walker Red Label is not bad.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    +1 Glenlivet, I seen a sale yesterday at Winn Dixie for around $30 plus two glasses.
    - 1 Johnny Walker Red, I would rather drink the cheapest Dewars than that diesel.
    If you are able to get to it Jackson Barracks' new PX has a pretty good selection on Scotch. Dorignac's is a close second as far as deals on drinkable stuff. Glenfiddich is good as well.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Glennmorangie original is good for the under $40 single malt. It's a very light scotch and not heavy in the peat-y-ness. :)

I just was in Martins Wine Cellar and picked up a blended one called Black Bottle. It was bottled in Scotland. The guy there said it was quite good for $20/bottle. I'll let you know since this is the first I heard of it.

Dave

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My personal favorite without a doubt is *The* Balvenie, Single Barrel 15 year. I drink it neat when it belongs to me, but I've had it served on rocks and it was just as awesome. Probably the most versatile Scotch I've ever sampled.

I'm a sucker for Macallan as well, in that price range.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Johnny Walker Black is good too. My second choice after Glenlivet

Those are my top 2 that I can afford on a normal occasion as well, but flipped. I love me some Glenlivet. I've sampled higher-end scotches, Johnnie Walker Blue being the one I remember the most. There's some excellent stuff out there, but I just can't swing it on a normal shopping trip.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Macallan or Glennmorangie are two I order when out eating. If you want to enjoy something that is 12 years old, this is the proper way to do it... 18 is good too.

Picked up a bottle of this at a stop on a cruise, and a friend found another bottle for me somewhere in Houston. I'd buy it again if I came across it.
    http://www.edradour.co.uk/main2.html

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm partial to Glenmorangie The Original single malt. There are some higher end bottles but I'm in college too...I get those as gifts sometimes.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Do you want a single malt Scotch? Blended? Peated?

I am no way affiliated, but Cuban Liquor in Baton Rouge has one of the best Scotch Whiskey selections in town and good people. In fact, they have a Scotch tasting open to the public this Friday (free). You can check them out on Facebook for times.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    so i just tried my first taste of scotch. my girlfriends work has been letting them take home bottles of liquor left over from the previous tenants and she brought me a bottle of glenlivet which was pretty damn good. it was really smooth which i wasnt expecting at all. so since this one was used and half gone when i got it i need some recommendations on what to try next! and please no crazy 300 dollar bottles.....im in college

I've had Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. Both excellent scotches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom