Remember when...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I grew up in a small town in Miss. during the 50s-60s Our streetlight was the moon. Did not have to move rabbit ears-we only got 2 stations and they were both out of Jackson. I remember when my Grandfather put locks on the doors. We had one AC window unit, it was in the living room and it only got turned on for Sundays or for company. Phone number was four digits. My Grandmother's sister lived in Port Gibson-she just picked up the phone and told the operator who she wanted. My Dad owned a small grocery store. My brother and I would work all day for a dollar-in cash, candy, or comic books. In 1962-63 I saved enough money and got a Marlin .22 through the mail from a company in Chicago. Mayberry had nothing on us.

Lemme guess. the 2 TV stations were WLBT (Channel 3) and WJTV (Channel 4).

We were lucky, we could get those 2 and WBRZ. Our TV had an outside antenna and a box on the inside to tell it what direction to turn, it was this old rotor dial thing that clicked until it got to the heading. It wasn't 2,3,4, etc... It was N, S, E, etc..

It looked like this:
    1199519big.jpg

Last edited:

K9CopSGT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Lutcher, LA
    Pik Mosquito Coil, on the transmission hump so we could enjoy the drive-in movies on Jefferson Hwy.

Learning mechanical engineering with an Erector Set. (There was also an electrical crafting set but I can't remember the name of it. It could be used to build a radio and several other electric items.)

Metal skates that clamped to your shoes. (Also worked great to make a scooter with 2 pieces of 2x4)

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I remember riding on the back of a mule, as it pulled a plow that grandpa used for his cornfield.
    This was across Lewis St. from where Dautrive Hospital, in New Iberia, would later be located.

I also remember my other grandpa letting me turn on the street lights on Port St. in St. Martinville,
    when I was a little kid. Powerful stuff for a 5 or 6 year old.

Listening to Beaker Street on KAAY- AM out of Little Rock, Ark.

Edit:

Nick, we had a tuner exactly like that one.

Art

Last edited:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Our phone, when we finally got one, was a party line! (shared line between several families) This was in the late 60's

We had a party line until I was in 6th grade (1994)

Don't remember what they were called but do yall remember the boxes next to your TV that would turn your antenna outside, they went caclump caclump caclump as it was turning?

My parents still have one in use. It sure beat running out side to twist the pole.

Epic bottle rocket wars!

When people didn't use "epic" to describe everything. :D:p

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Pik Mosquito Coil, on the transmission hump so we could enjoy the drive-in movies on Jefferson Hwy.

Learning mechanical engineering with an Erector Set. (There was also an electrical crafting set but I can't remember the name of it. It could be used to build a radio and several other electric items.)

Metal skates that clamped to your shoes. (Also worked great to make a scooter with 2 pieces of 2x4)

Ah yes! Drive in theaters all over Metairie. Damn I forgot about those. Mosquito coils, definitely! They were good for you too I remember?!? And the metal skates!

Good ones! Hell, your as old as me!:eek3:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Bottle rocket wars!

Oh Yeah!

Most of the time we had china ball wars. Take a several pieces of switch cane/bamboo and cut them so it is a hollow tube. Find another smaller piece for a ram rod. Jam a china ball in both ends and push one further into the bore. Use the ram rod to send the it at your target. Will leave a welp like a paintball.

No one wore safety glasses....crazy kids.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Oh Yeah!

Most of the time we had china ball wars. Take a several pieces of switch cane/bamboo and cut them so it is a hollow tube. Find another smaller piece for a ram rod. Jam a china ball in both ends and push one further into the bore. Use the ram rod to send the it at your target. Will leave a welp like a paintball.

No one wore safety glasses....crazy kids.

Wow! Just remembered another one along those lines. We used those weeds that grew really tall and got thick. In the winter they died and turned hard like bamboo. In the olden days of which we speak, the construction companies (that worked/built roads), used kerosene flares in those big black bowling ball looking containers. We would take them, steal cotton balls from one of our moms bathrooms, put the cotton ball on the end of the spears, pour the kerosene on them, light them, then throw them at each other like we were peloponnesians at war with each other. Also threw them at peoples wooden fences and the cotton ball would splatter the firey kerosene on the fence and light it on fire.

As for safety glasses, I don't think they made them back then; but, me and my brothers and the guys from the neighborhood would go rabbit hunting when it was really cold and since we were all decked out in heavy winter jackets, and after we didn't see any rabbiots, we split up in teams and would get about 50 yeards from each other and shoot each other with the 20 ga. bird shot. When it hit you in the legs it hurt like hell.:mamoru:

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Did you read how retarded we were in our wars? I stand by my use of the word, and would like to now add, "and monumentally stupid" to my original description.:D

At least we had the smarts not to do it at such close range.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFRxzB6Lqw[/ame]

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    My first calculator

When I started college I had to buy a calculator for chemistry and physics classes. (I used a slide rule in High School.) I took $100 of hard earned summer job money.(a lot of money in 1973) and bought a Brother calculator. It had to be plugged in to charge up batteries didn't last long. In the 90s It always amazed me when I'd get a solar powered calculator as a free gift from a salesman that had more functions than my 1970s Brother. Now my phone has a calculator thats better than my $100 college one!

ARboy

Master Class
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Mandeville
    Well, I was born in 1994, and I think I can say i've been around the block a few times. I can remember way back; before XBOX 360, we had to deal with those crappy graphics on the orginal XBOX. Yep, back in the day.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I know there's some Chalmatians on this thread and I grew up there in the 60's/70's. If you know where the Piccadilly was/is on Paris Road, that was a giant field called the "cabbage patch. Nothing was built there back then. Probably 2 blocks by 5 blocks long. We'd play war in that field all day with 10-15 kids using magnolia tree seed pods as grenades. The rich kids had toy rifles and the rest of us had sticks. We grew up just about living in that field.

Top Bottom