shaving with a classic double edge razor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    I second the double edge safety razor. I love wet shaving with a razor but have the worst collar/neck irritation so I electric shave my neck. It doesn't get as close but at least I don't look like I've been hung with a rope. I didn't know they made adjustable models, looks like I'll give that a try with the Feather blades.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Really Marco try a better shaving cream too. Not one of the canned garbage.

Most people don't know how to shave properly I've found. You should only shave after a shower. Using the shaving brush and good shaving cream (not canned) allows you to make a much wetter cream on your face. The wetter the better when it comes to shaving. Also the glycerin in the good shaving creams will lubricate better. If after that and a good quality razor you're still getting burned try a pre shave oil. Don't tell anyone but Noxema actually works pretty well. TOBS oil is best though for me.

After getting a good wet cream on your face with a brush (which in addition to making the cream, suspends the hair making it easier to cut) shave with the grain of your face. Then wet your face again and cream up again. Next shave against the grain of your face. This is what if you're ever read Victorian era novels was refered to as a "double shave" The triple shave was across the grain next.

Realistically speaking. I shave often enough where single shave against the grain works very well for me. But for my grandfather who was, like chimpanzee hairy, he'd have to double or triple shave to get the job done well. But he had a lot of German and Scottish going on genetically speaking.

Dave

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Y'all crazy. I love my schick quattro. Great shave, no cuts, not terribly expensive if you buy the big pack at Sam's. And I only shave a couple times a week so they last forever. Looking forward to running out so I can try out the Hydro.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    OK, perhaps I need to try the Feather blades. Using the Merkur blade that came with the Futur yielded a combination of THE worst shave and THE worst razor burn I've ever had in my life.

Don't apply any pressure at all (let the weight of the razor do the work) and make sure your face is soaking wet. Try using a lotion instead of a alcohol based aftershave.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It's called the safety razor for a reason. You're not running any greater risk of cutting yourself than any modern design. Just remember you have hold it a little more blade forward than a modern 6 or 12 or 128 blade design. :)

Dave

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Anybody know of a barber in Central, BR or Denham who can give a good shave the right way? i tried out Just 4 Him once, and when she put the hot towel on my face, I asked if a hot lather shave was available and she said I could get a shave, but they didn't have hot lather. I was a little disappointed about that, but went ahead and got a shave. After taking off the towel, Einstein took me back to her chair and finished my haircut before shaving my then cold face. Is there anyone in town who gets it right?

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don't apply any pressure at all (let the weight of the razor do the work) and make sure your face is soaking wet. Try using a lotion instead of a alcohol based aftershave.

That's what I did, Phil told me that in an email when he wrote to tell me my order was shipped. Jesus, just reading "alcohol based aftershave" makes my face burn. So no I don't use that type of stuff. I'll continue to try some different blades and cremes.

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    I use a Merkur razor with Dorco blades for several years now. I shave every day and blade is changed every 5-7 days. Its heck of lot cheaper than the disposalable ones. Also been using this shave cream called Kiss My Face. Comes in a pump and you can buy it at Whole Foods in Baton Rouge. cost about 7-8 dollars. Pretty good stuff for everyday. Also Art of shaving cream is good too. Using a badger brush also good to use to get a good lather.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I use a Merkur razor with Dorco blades for several years now. I shave every day and blade is changed every 5-7 days. Its heck of lot cheaper than the disposalable ones. Also been using this shave cream called Kiss My Face. Comes in a pump and you can buy it at Whole Foods in Baton Rouge. cost about 7-8 dollars. Pretty good stuff for everyday. Also Art of shaving cream is good too. Using a badger brush also good to use to get a good lather.

I saw that stuff, had to do a double take thinking "Kiss my what??" I may have to try some. I Have Dorco in the sample pack I got....
    attachment.php

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    I need to get some more blades soon. Heard good things about Shark blades and of course feathers too. There is a forum i belong too called badgerandblade.com theres a lot of good info there. KMF comes in different scents I have the vanilla. I want to try the citrus scent next.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I used to shave with a DE with Badger applied soap or shave magic after a shower but I just don't have the time any more. Maybe I will try it again, I have whole sets of brushes and razors. Keep your razor head in walnut or grap oil and it will last forever, you are just trying to limit the oxidation loss of the edge.

Last edited:

marco

Family Friendly
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Sulphur LA.
    What shaving cream do ya'll like that doesn't smell like lavender? I like Old Spice smell-type stuff. Never thought I'd be on a thread about shaving, pretty cool though.

Top Bottom