shaving with a classic double edge razor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Well I still think the greatest use for a DE safety razor is to have something for after a SHTF scenario, but this AM I went straight to the Feather High Stainless Platinum coated blades and the result was MUCH better. I also went to the Proraso cream and lathered it a bit. This wasn't totally perfect, but it was much, much better and is only the 2nd try and 2nd combination.

What shaving cream do ya'll like that doesn't smell like lavender? I like Old Spice smell-type stuff. Never thought I'd be on a thread about shaving, pretty cool though.

Actually I like the strong smell of Lavender and/or Eucalyptus, but this morning I used Proraso with Eucalyptus and Menthol and it doesn't really smell like either. It smells more like, just, soap and doesn't really leave a lingering smell. http://bullgooseshaving.net/proraso-eucalptus-shaving-cream-15150.html
    I still want to try the stuff Blair was talking about. I may run to WF today and look.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Did you ever try TOBS Jermyn Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin? I agree the TOBS is expensive but I like it so far. Of course I havn't tried a lot of stuff yet either.

I'm 99% sure it was in the sample pack I bought. The TOBS stuff is VERY good. I had no complaints about the quality. I just felt it was a little over priced. But TOBS actually lubricated better than Proraso in my opinion.

I think that the Proraso is good. I love the cool feeling it leaves you with and old school barber's shop soapy smell. The trick to getting the best shave with Proraso for me is to add a lot of water into it when lathering up my face. Not all at once but in little increments. It'll hold a great deal more water than you think. I also lubricate my face with their pre shave oil prior to creaming up. (It's expensive Noxema)

Dave

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Well I still think the greatest use for a DE safety razor is to have something for after a SHTF scenario, but this AM I went straight to the Feather High Stainless Platinum coated blades and the result was MUCH better. I also went to the Proraso cream and lathered it a bit. This wasn't totally perfect, but it was much, much better and is only the 2nd try and 2nd combination.

Actually I like the strong smell of Lavender and/or Eucalyptus, but this morning I used Proraso with Eucalyptus and Menthol and it doesn't really smell like either. It smells more like, just, soap and doesn't really leave a lingering smell. http://bullgooseshaving.net/proraso-eucalptus-shaving-cream-15150.html
    I still want to try the stuff Blair was talking about. I may run to WF today and look.

FYI, for anyone who wants to know, you can get that Proraso at Bath and Body Works under the C.O. Bigelow name. It is $10 a tube and comes in a metallic green box.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257431

eta: Looks like it's buy 2 and get 1 free too.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Haven't looked in some time but they used to sell Proraso at Target. It's not on the shaving isle it's in the "spa" section with all the crazy things women use. There's a tiny section of men's products squeezed in there.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ok

Got my Gillette (1959) Fat Boy today!
    NOW!!! Which sample packs of blades to order or blade reccomendations and reccomendation from shaving cream/Soap/aftershave/balm etc. Please

Thanks

Snookie

I got the "Whole enchilada" at Bull Goose, but a smaller one that contains some Iridium, Shark, Dorco and Feather would probably be fine. If you email and ask, I'm sure Phil will set you up with something and ask him about cream and soap samples. Basically I found him on badger&blade.com and looked because of the name. Turned out to be good prices and when I sent him PMs with questions on the forum he replied almost immediately and offered lots of help and info.

FYI, for anyone who wants to know, you can get that Proraso at Bath and Body Works under the C.O. Bigelow name. It is $10 a tube and comes in a metallic green box.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257431

eta: Looks like it's buy 2 and get 1 free too.

There used to be one of those at Cortana.

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    You guys suck. A new hobby for me to put money into. I'm very curious to try though, as I have shaving. I've tried every cartridge on the market and they all hurt my face.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    That's Right

sorry its all my fault hahahah

That's right Sir:

It's all your fault!!!! I could have bought another Colt Defender for all I'm going to spend to shave now LOL

Picture047.jpg

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Reading this thread i remembered my dad having one of these. So sunday, while at my parents for sunday dinner, I asked my parents about it. my mom then gives me this

rs8t3jxttzl9r0mmjobj.jpg

8cc1kjr5ei3d5599tm7n.jpg

now this is NIB and never used! I decided to give that back to her and I took my dad's gillette fat boy.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Finally got the Nerve

Hey guys finall got my Gilette Fat BoY adjustible razor on Sept. 15th and made the move to use it this past Friday!

Only one nick on first day and all good so far last couple of days!

Man a close close shave, used Walmart double edge blades 10 blades $1.76 vs 10 blades of the gilette sensor @ about $ 19.00
    pretty fast payback! Can't wait to get the sampler pack of blades to see which preforms best for me!

Thanks for all the info on this topic!

Snookie

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I've been using a DE for about a month now with the Proraso cream from Bath and body works and it indeed is a better shave with no irritation.

Top Bottom