Shooting a deer with a silenced weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abh3vol.firemen

unskilled labor expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    houma,la
    if mag capacity doesnt matter i guess i could use my yugo sks left stock.unless hunting with a grenade launcher and bayonet,in case the deer jumps back to life:chuckles:,are ilegal

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You may need the Beta-C more than you think. I let my 12 year old daughter use my AR last season to kill her first deer. She is a very good shot and I was confident she would make a good hit in the vitals. The deer ran about 40' after the first shot and she dropped him with the second. The problem is there was absolutely no blood trail. The deer was going to die from the first shot, but how far would it have ran if she missed with the second? I doubt we would have found it without a blood trail. Be sure of your first shot and then keep shooting till it drops. This year she will use my 30-30. She has overcome her fear of its recoil.

Ammunition?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Afaik shotguns are 2+1 regardless of what you are hunting.

Correct. Except for a couple of federally sanctioned goose massacres (emergency flock reduction hunts) where all restrictions were temporarily lifted.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Ammunition?
    60gr. Soft Point Vital-Shok. The round mushroomed jacket recovered in chest and lead core exited other side. Exit wound was under 1/4" and plugged with tissue. Internal bleeding was substantial. Other round passed through frag nasty with several smaller holes. The whole kill took less than a minute from the first shot till the deer stopped breathing. Pictures in this older post: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?62506-Question-about-hunting-in-Louisiana-wih-AR15

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    60gr. Soft Point Vital-Shok. The round mushroomed jacket recovered in chest and lead core exited other side. Exit wound was under 1/4" and plugged with tissue. Internal bleeding was substantial. Other round passed through frag nasty with several smaller holes. The whole kill took less than a minute from the first shot till the deer stopped breathing. Pictures in this older post: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?62506-Question-about-hunting-in-Louisiana-wih-AR15

You used a good bullet, not very inspiring :(
    I wonder if the TSX will do better. I feel it well might. It would certainly hold together better I think.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    60gr. Soft Point Vital-Shok. The. Exit wound was under 1/4" and plugged with tissue. Internal bleeding was substantial. Other round passed through frag nasty with several smaller holes. The whole kill took less than a minute from the first shot till the deer stopped breathing. Pictures in this older post: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?62506-Question-about-hunting-in-Louisiana-wih-AR15

I noticed that the Vital Shok is loaded with the 60 gr Nosler partition. Can you hetter describe what was recovered when you say "round mushroomed jacket recovered in chest and lead core exited other side"? Typically partitions will shed their front core, but I don't see how they shed the rear core. I am interested because I just picked up some of these bullets to test.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    I noticed that the Vital Shok is loaded with the 60 gr Nosler partition. Can you hetter describe what was recovered when you say "round mushroomed jacket recovered in chest and lead core exited other side"? Typically partitions will shed their front core, but I don't see how they shed the rear core. I am interested because I just picked up some of these bullets to test.

Correct front of jacket was empty and back was still intact on first round.

I'll post a picture of the recovered round later.

Last edited:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    You used a good bullet, not very inspiring :(
    I wonder if the TSX will do better. I feel it well might. It would certainly hold together better I think.

I don't know if the TSX will do better or not JWG223. My .02 is to make sure, the deer is close, you will hit the heart (or brain) and still have a chance for a few follow up shots. The .223 doesn't make a large enough exit wound or at least it did not on that deer. Best of luck to you.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010

Sorry for not posting sooner..busy weekend. Here are pictures of the recovered bullet:

t7qf5isds34dksckx329.jpg

ros50aqs2zyidzonhnbr.jpg

ozz3kk62ntf9zsgpmgd.jpg

r5h1uaqcfzbiwwl18rns.jpg

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010

Just to be sure I understand this correctly... the deer was shot twice with a .223 and both rounds went thru-and-thru, correct?

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Just to be sure I understand this correctly... the deer was shot twice with a .223 and both rounds went thru-and-thru, correct?

First round (the one pictured above) front lead core only exited leaving small exit wound less than the bullets diameter. This round hit above the heart (just missing it) and caused a lot of internal damage. The heart was intact, but an artery was cut. The above round was recovered in the lung on exiting side. The deer jumped turned and ran. The second round hit the back going under the spine and cutting the liver. The deer fell from this shot. The round passed through and thinking back it may not have fragged like I originally thought. It could have nicked a rib on the way in sending out bone fragments. I say this because there was a 1/4" hole and a few smaller ones around it, and the round did not go through as much tissue to open up due to the angle of the shot.

Regardless it's up to you as a hunter to choose what round you want to use. I personally would rather a round that will leave a nasty exit wound that allows massive blood loss.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I'm pretty sure it's one in the chamber and 4 in the tube.

I'm sure they would have no issues if you brought an AA12 and a 25rd drum along, though.

From "Methods of taking Quadrapeds and Resident Game Birds":

Shotguns larger than a 10 gauge
    or capable of holding more than three
    shells shall be prohibited. Plugs used
    in shotguns must be incapable of
    being removed without disassembly.

Top Bottom