Snake Experts, Please step inside.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Its amazing all the myths flying around about snakes even water snakes. I can even count the times I have been bit by water snakes and have never got an infection. People look for any type of excuse to justify killing a snake harmless or not. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I don't know who invented the "infection" excuse, but it doesn't hold water. I was bitten by snakes when I was 7, and I never got an infection. What I did get was the knowledge that non-poisonous snakes are completely harmless. Their most dangerous defense is crapping all over you. After all their teeth are about 1mm long. Anybody who catches a dangerous infection from the bite of a non-poisonous snake shouldn't be outdoors or anywhere outside the city.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I just found out that my cousin collects rattlesnakes. His idea of a vacation is to go somewhere out west and catch the various subspecies of rattler. The list is impressive.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    There is the possibility of infection. It doesn't always happen, but the possibility does exist.

I had a patient recently who was bitten by an alligator. Of course there were some broken bones and torn up skin.

But the biggest concern is of a mycobacterium infection developing.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    There is the possibility of infection. It doesn't always happen, but the possibility does exist.

I had a patient recently who was bitten by an alligator. Of course there were some broken bones and torn up skin.

But the biggest concern is of a mycobacterium infection developing.

There's the possibility of infection from just about everything on the planet including dogs and cats. This is no excuse for killing a harmless animal.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    There's the possibility of infection from just about everything on the planet including dogs and cats. This is no excuse for killing a harmless animal.

whatever. if the snake has decided to live 6" from the man's backdoor, and his wife jumps out of her skin the first time she sees it and then won't come and go out of the house that way anymore, then THAT is enough excuse to kill it. it's a frickin water snake. there's probably ten of them in my yard right now. I do not think the world is leaning off its axis because that snake died.

Let me ask you a question. Do you own a home? Did the mortgage company make you get a termite certificate? You know where this is going. Termites are pests. It's OK to kill them. If you found a wasp nest right outside your back door, you'd spray them and kill them. If there was a pile of fire ants right next to where you parked your car, you'd put something on them and kill them. Ever had to swat and kill a mosquito on your arm? The man didn't wan't a snake living on his carport, so he killed it, which is no different, so give the man a break!

if you've ever killed any type of pests such as ants, bears, horse flies, wasps, bees, spiders, jellyfish, dinosaurs, looters, hornets, gnats, fruit flies, terrorists, mosquitos, buck flies, and/or sting rays, then you're no better than the evil SigArmed1.

edit to add: are you a vegetarian?

Last edited:

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    whatever. if the snake has decided to live 6" from the man's backdoor, and his wife jumps out of her skin the first time she sees it and then won't come and go out of the house that way anymore, then THAT is enough excuse to kill it. it's a frickin water snake. there's probably ten of them in my yard right now. I do not think the world is leaning off its axis because that snake died.

Let me ask you a question. Do you own a home? Did the mortgage company make you get a termite certificate? You know where this is going. Termites are pests. It's OK to kill them. If you found a wasp nest right outside your back door, you'd spray them and kill them. If there was a pile of fire ants right next to where you parked your car, you'd put something on them and kill them. Ever had to swat and kill a mosquito on your arm? The man didn't wan't a snake living on his carport, so he killed it, which is no different, so give the man a break!

if you've ever killed any type of pests such as ants, bears, horse flies, wasps, bees, spiders, jellyfish, dinosaurs, looters, hornets, gnats, fruit flies, terrorists, mosquitos, buck flies, and/or sting rays, then you're no better than the evil SigArmed1.

edit to add: are you a vegetarian?

WELL SAID CP.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana

Amen!

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Sorry to all the moccasin lovers, but if I can get within range, it's dead!

I was bitten by one when I was little and was sick for what seemed like forever!

If I could dedicate my life to making the water moccasin an endangered species, I would.

I do have a speckled king snake that lives under my workshop.
    He's been there for several years and has grown from a little over 12" to about 3 1/2 feet.

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    47   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Heres one you might not want to mess with, just give them a wide berth and pass on. Years ago i would kill them, now i relocate them if they are in urban areas.

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I didnt read where the OP ate the snake.

he didn't. the post you quoted me on wasn't directed at the OP. it was intended as thought provoking. we (human beings) kill harmless animals every day for sustenance. I realize the snake didn't provide anyone with sustenance, (well maybe he did for mr. raccoon and mr. possum) however harmless cows, chickens and even cuddly lambs, die each day to fill the cold, bloody refrigerated section of the local grocer, hence my question.

The part of the quoted post that you left out made the point that this whole thing is simply a difference of opinion. Anyone who has killed a termite or an ant or a wasp or a mosquito is just as guilty as the OP. Once we can agree on that, it's just an argument about whether or not a snake (any snake) is more or less worthy of life than any of the other examples.

how come nobody's heart has bled for the poor frog; what about him? The snake is (was) a murderer too! SigArmed1 was apparently just acting in defense of the other frogs in his yard whose lives he feared were in imminent danger.

disclaimer: I have kept pet snakes all my life. I've had Boas and Pythons, even had one that grew to 13 feet before I gave him to the zoo. we even have a pet corn snake living in a tank in my garage now. come to think of it, he's not a vegetarian either and we allow him to kill a couple of mice every two or three weeks (for sustenance). so, you see, I'm not anti-snake at all.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    he didn't. the post you quoted me on wasn't directed at the OP. it was intended as thought provoking. we (human beings) kill harmless animals every day for sustenance. I realize the snake didn't provide anyone with sustenance, (well maybe he did for mr. raccoon and mr. possum) however harmless cows, chickens and even cuddly lambs, die each day to fill the cold, bloody refrigerated section of the local grocer, hence my question.

The part of the quoted post that you left out made the point that this whole thing is simply a difference of opinion. Anyone who has killed a termite or an ant or a wasp or a mosquito is just as guilty as the OP. Once we can agree on that, it's just an argument about whether or not a snake (any snake) is more or less worthy of life than any of the other examples.

how come nobody's heart has bled for the poor frog; what about him? The snake is (was) a murderer too! SigArmed1 was apparently just acting in defense of the other frogs in his yard whose lives he feared were in imminent danger.

disclaimer: I have kept pet snakes all my life. I've had Boas and Pythons, even had one that grew to 13 feet before I gave him to the zoo. we even have a pet corn snake living in a tank in my garage now. come to think of it, he's not a vegetarian either and we allow him to kill a couple of mice every two or three weeks (for sustenance). so, you see, I'm not anti-snake at all.

I know people will continue killing snakes out of "fear" and I am over that it really dont bother me at all. Termites wasp and ants are pest they do nothing to control pest poulation like snakes do. I wish people would stop killing termites it keeps me in business.

What really bothers me, and it really aint about snakes, is this. The same people on here that **** and moan when they hear about guns being banned because they are dangerous are some of the same ones that go out and kill snakes because they look dangerous.

Like I said it really aint about snakes because the same thing goes for "Killer pits" too.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    And I guess I should have relocated this one further away from my son's play area in the yard last night instead of putting a hydra shock thru him?
    snake1.jpg

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Didnt measure him, it was dark last night when I got him and I was going somewhere (by the way, a ford ranger on grass does not really even **** a snake off). Wife took the pic this morning and I scooped him up and disposed of him. He was about 34-36" and fat.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    My grandfather taught me from a young age how to identify snakes. It was a two species system.
    If it is in the water, it is a moccasin.
    If it is on the ground, it is a rattlesnake.

Both species come in two types, dead and alive.

That is just my opinion.

Top Bottom