So... Im Fat

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've gained 100 lbs since I got out of the Navy in 1997 and now the doctor has me on high BP meds.. I gotta do sumthing...

Start with "0" Soda. Not even Diet Soda which can be worse and go with a Gallon of Water a day which also in the summer is not hard to accomplish.
    Drink Coffee with sugar? cut it back to 1/2 the amount at least and actually taste your coffee ;)
    If you eat breads/noodles/starches try and make them Whole Wheat products (Brown)
    Suck it up and throw out all the CRAP in the pantry. (Twinkies/Frosted Flakes/Little Debbie Cakes/Pop Tarts) etc.etc.
    Go spend $30 on fruit, and a small pack of berries and pick up a large bag of Frozen boneless/skinless Chicken breast or Turkey Breast Cutlets.
    Buy some frozen Veggies packs that you can Microwave.
    Buy some mixed UNSALTED nuts
    Get some Oatmeal Original flavor and eat a serving of that in the morning with a handful of those berries.

Of course there's a whole other side to this called exercise however it's not as important as diet first.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Very true. For me that is the hardest to do. I live to eat. Probably the hardest struggle I have now. Good thing I'd when I eat more vegetables and fruit, energy to work out increases. Ah well, I do the best I can. When I get there, I set up another goal to achieve.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    My problem lately with working out has been due to me injuring myself at home or inflaming a shoulder injury from a car accident in 2007. I usually do something stupid like pull a muscle in my back while grabbing a basket of clothes or picking up a pair of shoes. Getting old sucks.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    My problem lately with working out has been due to me injuring myself at home or inflaming a shoulder injury from a car accident in 2007. I usually do something stupid like pull a muscle in my back while grabbing a basket of clothes or picking up a pair of shoes. Getting old sucks.

Im not old but i feel like it. I have the problem with hurting while trying to work out also. I have 4 Herniared Disc right now from work. I Shattered my pelvis, and my shoulder also among with many other things in a car accident in december 2003. Alot of exercise does take major effort and trying to block out the pain, but I have found that the Elliptical helps alot, it is reallly low impact on my body.

I get nervous when i know i have to pick up something off the floor :p ... every now and then I will get I guess pinch a nerve and get a redicilously painful sharp shooting pain in my back that pretty much cripples me for the better part of 3 hours until what ever tightened up goes away. I have arthritis in my lower back and shoulder from breaking it and it sucks but the elliptical is a great way and does not really hurt... give it a try

clay7160

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Abbeville, LA
    -20lbs this month for a total of 64lbs in 3 months...could probably lose more by cutting out some of my food choices, but i'm not finding it difficult to stick to my eating habits and my food is still enjoyable....still riding bikes and swimming

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I guess I'll jump in here too. Im 30 and in the worst shape of my life. Ive always been big in high school and after. Since our kids were born we have a lot more junk in the house, a lot less time on our hands and less energy at the end of the day. I see as I type this out it should be an insperation instead of an excuse.
    I work in an active lifestyle, no desk all day. Im out and about but I find myself on the road for repairs and eating crap, a lot. So starting my new life here is as good as time as any to start living better.
    Measure today
    Lots of water
    Cardio
    Stop eating crap
    Whole foods
    High fiber
    Fish oil
    Flax oil

srscott

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    SWLA
    I'm a bit late on this post and I didn't read all 5 pages, however if no one already mentioned it, it probably isn't a good idea to ride a bike with back problems. Bike riding can put alot of stress on your back. I used to ride my bike all over SWLA. from up near Lake Charles all the way down to the coast and back. I really enjoyed it, but it killed my back. I've been wanting to get out there and ride again but I'm going to have to wait until I can get the $ together to buy a tadpole type recumbent bike ( you sit in it like a lawn chair with your feet out in front) this = minimal stress on the back and your weight isn't all concentrated on your hips and wrists.

Good luck with exersizing I hope it goes well for you!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Just thought I'd chime in. I've done 4 Rounds of P90X, and am currently doing Insanity, as well as Shakeology and have lost 78 pounds. The programs are physically intense, but as intense as they are, 80% of the results are the nutrition aspects of those plans. If you're just doing the workouts without the nutrition don't expect great results. Shakeology is a big part of my nutrition. You can see my results on Youtube at YouTube - Tommy70817's Channel. Hitman you're giving great advice!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Just thought I'd chime in. I've done 4 Rounds of P90X, and am currently doing Insanity, as well as Shakeology and have lost 78 pounds. The programs are physically intense, but as intense as they are, 80% of the results are the nutrition aspects of those plans. If you're just doing the workouts without the nutrition don't expect great results. Shakeology is a big part of my nutrition. You can see my results on Youtube at YouTube - Tommy70817's Channel. Hitman you're giving great advice!

Nicely done Tommy! Great videos.

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wow, great thread. I was never really big, got up to 198 of flab last Xmas(I'm 5'9 with a smaller frame) and now am at 165 and can see my 6 pack's outline today on my 34th bday. In 10 weeks, I went from wrestling into my size 34's into size 30 today. It wasn't easy, but diet and exercise go hand in hand, I can't stress that enough.

I got WAY more results in my 30's by dieting AND exercising than I did in my early 20's with exercise alone. The two together are way greater than the sum of their parts.

www.fitday.com is a free calorie/fat/carbs/protein tracker. Track everything you eat for a week or until you get the hang of it; you'll be surprised. I loosely follow the p90x eating schedule, and like Hitman said, avoid everything white like the plague - white bread, sugar, flour tortillas, etc. The basics of the p90x diet are no more than 20% of your diet is fat, then about 50% protein, 30% carbs, or 40% protein, 40% carbs. 1g of fat does not equal 1 g of carbs or 1 g of protein - 1g of fat is ROUGHLY equal to 2g of protein OR 2g of carbs when you're looking at the percentages.

Look at the carbs in a serving, let's say it's 42g. How many of those carbs are sugars? 42g of carbs w/ 5 sugars isn't that bad; 42g of carbs and all 42 are sugars is really bad. Keeping your body off a sugar rollercoaster anyway keeps diabetes away or at bay. You wouldn't buy a car and try to run it off road up and down hills in baja would you? That's basically what you do w/ your body/insulin levels when a lot of sugars are eaten, then no eating goes on for hours, then sugars are eaten, etc. I'm not acting holier than anyone as i still do it from time to time, just passing along what i've learned.

If you have body/injury issues, p90x may end up doing more harm than good, my orthopedic told me he sees a lot of p90x injuries; some of the stuff is higher impact and if you're already a heavier person w/ a bad knee/back/hip/etc, it's a recipe for disaster. If you really want to do p90x, do it but take it easy on the injuries and if something hurts, MODIFY it so it doesn't! I have a shoulder injury and cant' do pullups. There is an exercise I do instead that strengthens the injured muscles in my shoulder safely - I substitute that. P90X is the best workout I've ever done, and I'm ex-military that would work out regular PT 3x a week and do my own weightlifting simultaneously 6x a week. P90X is way less work/time than that. Good luck!

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Great results and motivation to keep pushing play.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    Im starting to slack off on the elliptical, think im getting bored with it. I am still eating pretty good, could be better tho. I just could not say no to a shrimp po'boy today, other than that I have been eating turkey sammiches on 12 grain whole wheat, chicken breast burrito with lettuce and tomato on wheat tortilla, snacking on oat bars, natures own bars. I still cant bring myself to eat brown rice... it taste.......bad. I need to start back up on fruit.

I am down to about 2 times a week on the eliptical, but I am still taking my pup on long walks 3 times a day. I am moving to Slidell on the lake on the 1st of next month. I am thinking about taking up kayaking. Figure it would be a good upper body workout, IDK if my back will enjoy it tho. I think I could kayak for a while, take out a fishing pole and do some fishing for a while and then head back home. Do they make kayak's for big guys? Is kayaking good for exercise?

I re-read this thread to try and get me back motovated like i use to be. I hope it works. I am down 12 pounds last time I checked, Its not great but i'll take it. Good thing is in Slidell there is a gym right down the street and there is a small gym and pool in the sister property of my condo a few miles away that I will have access to. I think i seen an advert for a crossfit there also, I might look into giving it a try once i get settled in.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's time to move on to something different and MORE difficult.....ASAP,
    take time TODAY to figure out what that's going to be and PREPARE this weekend to START that new plan MONDAY! Diet included ;)

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Check those wheat tortillas. Not all wheat branded products are that much different than the non wheat options, according to the numbers anyway. I buy high fiber, low carb, decent protein content wraps.

bozakz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pine Grove, LA
    What helped me was competition. 7 of us had a bet. Jan 1st to fathers day we had to loose 40 lbs. If you are competitive it might help to make a bet with some friends. Put some money on the table and make it interesting. We really helped each other by talking **** to each other every day. Also, I weigh in every night on wii fit. I never miss weighing in unless I'm out of town. It held me accountable and let me see progress. It also let me see how fast I gained it when I strayed. Good luck

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Hey blackboltss, if you're looking for a change try looking into "Weight Watchers for Men" online. Plan is cheap and sets up daily targets for food and exercise.

It will tell you about your eating habits and has full exercise routines on video or text. Also has help. So far I've lost 15 lbs without any real effort on my part (little exercise so far) I pay more attention now to what I eat or drink.

As far as exercise goes, please be sure to check with your doctor 1st. There is no glory in hurting yourself more. If you doctor approves, yoga is good, real good for body and soul. Not a religion, it is all about stretching and provides quiet time for yourself as you cool down.

The membership to "Weight Watchers for men" does not mean you have to attend any meetings or any of that nonsense (but if you want to you can), the battle is really you vs you and that is what it is set up for.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom