Speed traps on private property

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    A friend recently told me about a dispute among the congregation of his church. Apparently the local LEOs like to park in the church lot to run radar down the street. This was OK until some of the more prominent church members got ticketed, I bet while speeding to get to church on time! <g> Some members then wanted to prohibit the LEOs from using their lot, others apparently believe they don't have a right to institute such a prohibition. So just to satisfy my curiosity, can our LEO members answer this? Does the police department have the right to set up speed traps on private property if the owner doesn't allow?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Do you have the right to prohibit police from using your front lawn to run speed traps?
    This is still a country built on private property rights. So.... No!!! The police would be trespassing.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    How about next time they are out there, go introduce yourself, offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water, invite them to a service even. Then maybe if a member gets stopped they will remember how polite that congregation is and offer some leeway, if not, argue it in court as is your right. The church gets FREE SECURITY while they are out there, and the traffic will be safer for members getting in and out if it's a known speed trap area. It's a win-win, long as the members obey the limit, it's on a big sign in black and white.

Just a note: LRS 14:63E states that a law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties may enter or remain on the property or another. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I believe that the key to reducing major crime is to enforce minor laws, especially traffic laws.

Therefore I would welcome any police officer who wanted to set up a speed trap in my driveway. (Please stay off my lawn).

Recently, The NOPD began enforcing school zone speed limits a less than half a block from my house. I brought bottled water and expressed my gratitude. First time I've seen the NOPD enforce traffic laws since I was a teen, and I ain't no spring chicken.

This is how you catch fugitives, drug dealers, illegal guns, etc. All of these things, and more, are transported by people who have little regard for any law, including traffic laws.

Then there is the theory that if you give an inch, they take a mile. If people realize that minor crimes are enforced, they'll be less likely to think they can get away with a major crime.

Yes, some 'upstanding citizens' get tickets too. Myself included. I'm no traffic saint. I pay my fines, slow down and hopefully learn from it.

Those church members are, as someone pointed out, receiving the benefit of free armed security. They should be grateful.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    How about next time they are out there, go introduce yourself, offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water, invite them to a service even. Then maybe if a member gets stopped they will remember how polite that congregation is and offer some leeway, if not, argue it in court as is your right. The church gets FREE SECURITY while they are out there, and the traffic will be safer for members getting in and out if it's a known speed trap area. It's a win-win, long as the members obey the limit, it's on a big sign in black and white.

Just a note: LRS 14:63E states that a law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties may enter or remain on the property or another. Just throwing that out there.

Yes, but LRS 14:63E doesn't really apply here. You say free security, I say free harassment of the churches members.

They can and should Park in the states right of way if they are asked not to park at the church, IMO.

GBob01

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    the northshore
    Yes, but LRS 14:63E doesn't really apply here. You say free security, I say free harassment of the churches members.

They can and should Park in the states right of way if they are asked not to park at the church, IMO.

They wouldn't be "harassing" anyone, if you and the rest of the congregation would just do the speed limit.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    A little off subject but, some years back there was a radar/camera vehicle parked in the lot of a church down the street from my house. It stayed there for about a week until the church had said vehicle towed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I know the OP was talking about this taking place at a church but there are some major issues in play here so lets leave thd lords house and "whats the christian thing to do" out of this for now.

First if its private property and the owner/owners say stay off thats the law. The regulation you quoted is relevent only if you need go on to or enter private property in order do fullfill your duties. Using someones private property to run speed traps does not qualify.

Second traffic enforcement has become a major source of revenue. So much so that the Legislative Auditors Office requires audit of ticket books for "missing revenue". With very rare acception speed limits in this state and many others are set excessively lower than what would be determine in enginering studies to be both safe and appropriate for the roads and the average vehicles traveling down them. Now for this we shouldnt be pissed off at the officer writing you up for "breaking the law", but these elected officials and unelected beauracrats who are pissing our taxes down the drain and sending officers out to be revenue agents for there bloated overspent budgets.

If you work or have worked traffic enforcement and you hang your hat on "hey I'm just doing my job" and the ldr or irs decide to audit you and you have to pay the piper for a mistake, dont get pissed off they are just doing their job.

Now look I dont mean for this to be an attack on the good folks who wear the badge but the purpose of law officers is and has been devolving from serve and protect to enforce and assess based sometimes immoral and unconstitutional laws. Personally I could never be a cop you guys but up with more than your share and get little thanks in return. I'm also a strick constitionalist so my personal views wouldn't allow me to stay gainfully employed for long.

I think as a society these issues keep getting swept under the rug with statements like "just dont break thd law" or "if you have nothing to hide whats the problem". Each time the government seeks more control they nudge a little the problem is we are slowly being nudged into submission. If you revived the dead body of George Washington gave him your keys and he was ticketed for doing 75mph on the elevated portion of 310 knowing that was well within a safe speed what do you think he would have to say about it.

Last edited:

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    Maybe he's just looking for someone to keep his pistol warm for him. ;)

(I jest, I jest .... )

hqdefault.jpg

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I know the OP was talking about this taking place at a church but there are some major issues in play here so lets leave thd lords house and "whats the christian thing to do" out of this for now.

First if its private property and the owner/owners say stay off thats the law. The regulation you quoted is relevent only if you need go on to or enter private property in order do fullfill your duties. Using someones private property to run speed traps does not qualify.

Second traffic enforcement has become a major source of revenue. So much so that the Legislative Auditors Office requires audit of ticket books for "missing revenue". With very rare acception speed limits in this state and many others are set excessively lower than what would be determine in enginering studies to be both safe and appropriate for the roads and the average vehicles traveling down them. Now for this we shouldnt be pissed off at the officer writing you up for "breaking the law", but these elected officials and unelected beauracrats who are pissing our taxes down the drain and sending officers out to be revenue agents for there bloated overspent budgets.

If you work or have worked traffic enforcement and you hang your hat on "hey I'm just doing my job" and the ldr or irs decide to audit you and you have to pay the piper for a mistake, dont get pissed off they are just doing their job.

Now look I dont mean for this to be an attack on the good folks who wear the badge but the purpose of law officers is and has been devolving from serve and protect to enforce and assess based sometimes immoral and unconstitutional laws. Personally I could never be a cop you guys but up with more than your share and get little thanks in return. I'm also a strick constitionalist so my personal views wouldn't allow me to stay gainfully employed for long.

I think as a society these issues keep getting swept under the rug with statements like "just dont break thd law" or "if you have nothing to hide whats the problem". Each time the government seeks more control they nudge a little the problem is we are slowly being nudged into submission. If you revived the dead body of George Washington gave him your keys and he was ticketed for doing 75mph on the elevated portion of 310 knowing that was well within a safe speed what do you think he would have to say about it.

Let me guess, you don't refer to your car as a vehicle do you? Do you also believe you can free money from the "strawman"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I don’t know about your parish but here in ascension parish the local LE’s DON’T write tickets for speeding or running red lights (with the exception of the motorcycle guys) witnessed both too many times, LSP will write them. In this area on US 61 it is a race track there is one church with a school in it and most cars don’t even slow down for the school zone. Come on people it’s the LAW.
    My 2
    Wingate

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Wow I think this guy is serious. :rofl:

Yeah why don't y'all buy the officer some donuts and make him go to church, then he won't bother y'all.

Even funnier I think this guy believes his own BS. :bowrofl:

Free security, bro!

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Let me guess, you don't refer to your car as a vehicle do you? Do you also believe you can free money from the "strawman"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I dont own cars only trucks and suv's. I'm not sure where you are going with this.
    As for where should the money come from: I've seen some of these budgets first hand the waste and misuse of money. I've audited receipts from even very small jurisdictions who wasted large sums of money. Fleecing the public with artificially reduced speed limits is not the answer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom