Speed traps on private property

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Let me guess, you don't refer to your car as a vehicle do you? Do you also believe you can free money from the "strawman"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In light of the the above link, my truck is a vehicle, I am subject to every law that everyone else is. I object only to my previously mentioned points. I'm a constitutionalist I believe any law that infringes on the Bill of Rights should not exist plain and simple. I believe traffic safety is in the publics best interest and I believe in speed limits and traffic laws but I also believe the government has become relient on people breaking the law and has a vested interest in keeping speed limits low and fines high, regardless how rediculous the speed limit may be. It is in essence taxation without representation. Violating private property rights to lie in wait for some "law breaker" (someone running late or maybe their foot got just a little heavy) just puts icing on the cake.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How about next time they are out there, go introduce yourself, offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water, invite them to a service even. Then maybe if a member gets stopped they will remember how polite that congregation is and offer some leeway, if not, argue it in court as is your right. The church gets FREE SECURITY while they are out there, and the traffic will be safer for members getting in and out if it's a known speed trap area. It's a win-win, long as the members obey the limit, it's on a big sign in black and white.

Just a note: LRS 14:63E states that a law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties may enter or remain on the property or another. Just throwing that out there.

Sounds good to me.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If you read my post in the past you know not only am I extremely consevitive but I'm also quite literal.

So I'm interest to hear some answers from the Leo 's here:
    If we can agee the traffic laws are a public interest, when are you justified to violate those laws? I'm talking the stereotypical speed trap stuff like, doubling the speed limit, entering a major interstate against the flow of traffic, crossing a median and entering the highway causing bystanders to nearly crash, all to catch someone 10-15 over.

I've witnessed first hand this kind of foolishness and while it may be the exception its worth discussion.

About 12 years ago MS passed legislation due to multiple high profile fatalities involving inocent bystanders and LEO. Shortly after that a young officer pursued a car that ran a light. The officer hit another car and killed a small child and he was charged.

Again being so literal I dont know were the line between doing your job stops and criminal neglegence starts.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you read my post in the past you know not only am I extremely consevitive but I'm also quite literal.

So I'm interest to hear some answers from the Leo 's here:
    If we can agee the traffic laws are a public interest, when are you justified to violate those laws? I'm talking the stereotypical speed trap stuff like, doubling the speed limit, entering a major interstate against the flow of traffic, crossing a median and entering the highway causing bystanders to nearly crash, all to catch someone 10-15 over.

I've witnessed first hand this kind of foolishness and while it may be the exception its worth discussion.

About 12 years ago MS passed legislation due to multiple high profile fatalities involving inocent bystanders and LEO. Shortly after that a young officer pursued a car that ran a light. The officer hit another car and killed a small child and he was charged.

Again being so literal I dont know were the line between doing your job stops and criminal neglegence starts.

Does this help?

§24. Emergency vehicles; exceptions
    A. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this Section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.
    B. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle may do any of the following:
    (1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Chapter.
    (2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping as may be necessary for safe operation.
    (3) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property.
    (4) Disregard regulations governing the direction of movement or turning in specified directions.
    C. The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle or bicycle is making use of audible or visual signals, including the use of a peace officer cycle rider's whistle, sufficient to warn motorists of their approach, except that a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle.
    D. The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver or rider of an authorized vehicle from the duty to drive or ride with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver or rider from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.
    Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 160, §1; Acts 2011, No. 98, §1.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...First if its private property and the owner/owners say stay off thats the law. The regulation you quoted is relevent only if you need go on to or enter private property in order do fullfill your duties. Using someones private property to run speed traps does not qualify...

I'm gonna have to check back with that congregation and see what they decided and did. <G>

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Then, for the sake of argument, and to save this thread from any further degradation; it is PLAUSIBLE, the church's pastor/reverend/head dude, called this in himself!?!

Maybe the collections were down because the congregation was shrinking and he wanted potential church goers to slow down and read his marquee? :dunno:

Just like a new fast food restaurant gets the DOTD to cut a new turn complete with new traffic signal in front of the newly constructed restaurant?

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Then, for the sake of argument, and to save this thread from any further degradation; it is PLAUSIBLE, the church's pastor/reverend/head dude, called this in himself!?!

Maybe the collections were down because the congregation was shrinking and he wanted potential church goers to slow down and read his marquee? :dunno:

Just like a new fast food restaurant gets the DOTD to cut a new turn complete with new traffic signal in front of the newly constructed restaurant?

Lol, possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just so you all know; some of these speed checks are seriously warranted. Case and point was one the LSP had setup at the Alligator Bayou Swamp Tours on ABR. Those rednecks back there were rolling down that 20 MPH street at 60 miles an hour! :mamoru:

I am sure it was bicyclists that called that in, because many are constantly on that stretch and the rednecks feel entitled that that road belongs to them. Typical American struggle! ;)

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Does this help?

§24. Emergency vehicles; exceptions
    A. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this Section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.
    B. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle may do any of the following:
    (1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Chapter.
    (2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping as may be necessary for safe operation.
    (3) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property.
    (4) Disregard regulations governing the direction of movement or turning in specified directions.
    C. The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle or bicycle is making use of audible or visual signals, including the use of a peace officer cycle rider's whistle, sufficient to warn motorists of their approach, except that a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle.
    D. The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver or rider of an authorized vehicle from the duty to drive or ride with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver or rider from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.
    Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 160, §1; Acts 2011, No. 98, §1.

Although it is nice to see the reg and read its intentional ambiguity I'm looking for personal prospective.

My point be the guy that is just a touch over the legal limit and considers himself "ok to drive" may have impaired judgement but he still considers himself not endangering someones life or property, but we all know if he is over the legal limit his motor skills are impaired as well as his judgement. It seems unfortunate that this law relys souly on one man's judgment consider my judgement that exceeding the speed limit this morning by 10mph on a few occasions would have been frowned upon had one of you fair gents pulled me over.

Again its not the fault of an officer for doing his job, unless he is flagrently violating laws or endangering the public to enforce a law that is asinine.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It didn't take long for this thread to go from " can they " to " should they " . I knew it would happen .

Meh. Natural progression of things.

Were I to take a stab at the intent of the "should they" mindset, it would have to be the misuse of speed checks "solely" as revenue enhancers. That transcends the intent of the check as a public safety reason.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Just so you all know; some of these speed checks are seriously warranted. Case and point was one the LSP had setup at the Alligator Bayou Swamp Tours on ABR. Those rednecks back there were rolling down that 20 MPH street at 60 miles an hour! :mamoru:

I am sure it was bicyclists that called that in, because many are constantly on that stretch and the rednecks feel entitled that that road belongs to them. Typical American struggle! ;)

Tripple the speed limit is one thing.

And if a property owner invites leo's onto their property thats their right.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

This therory entertains me, but only because I know it has likely been done maybe not at a church but then again may so.

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    How about next time they are out there, go introduce yourself, offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water, invite them to a service even. Then maybe if a member gets stopped they will remember how polite that congregation is and offer some leeway, if not, argue it in court as is your right. The church gets FREE SECURITY while they are out there, and the traffic will be safer for members getting in and out if it's a known speed trap area. It's a win-win, long as the members obey the limit, it's on a big sign in black and white.

Just a note: LRS 14:63E states that a law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties may enter or remain on the property or another. Just throwing that out there.

+1

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    It didn't take long for this thread to go from " can they " to " should they " . I knew it would happen .

LOL -- me too! The (my) original question was simply "does the LEO have authority to set up a speed trap on private property if the owner does not allow?". This thread has drifted way off...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    LOL -- me too! The (my) original question was simply "does the LEO have authority to set up a speed trap on private property if the owner does not allow?". This thread has drifted way off...

That's because Bayou Shooter is the ultimate Think Tank! How will you ever get to the truth (and some comedy), if you don't pick apart every detail of a topic?

The alternative is: (Every OP on here (except for some of the crazy never heard of gun stuff)) - "Hey Emperor, what is the final word on.................?"

Certainly the best course of action for your lives, but I do that all day for people in everyday life! Gets kind of boring! :D

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    That's because Bayou Shooter is the ultimate Think Tank! How will you ever get to the truth (and some comedy), if you don't pick apart every detail of a topic?

The alternative is: (Every OP on here (except for some of the crazy never heard of gun stuff)) - "Hey Emperor, what is the final word on.................?"

Certainly the best course of action for your lives, but I do that all day for people in everyday life! Gets kind of boring! :D

:hi5:

Think tank, research institute, moral compass... it's all right here on BS. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom