Speed traps on private property

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Hopefully this will clairify:

If you have ever written a ticket or been written a ticket where an office ran radar lidar what ever from a publicly own piece of property, they know an officer doesnot need to be on private property to ticket a motorist unless that motorist stops on or is persued through private property.

The scope of an officers duties as it relates to traffic enforcement doesnt not in most cases require harbor or passage on or through private property.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    So a real world lawyer offered their personal long term experience, but other folks feel differently.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    SPEED KILLS !
    The pious speeders need to realize why speeding is against the law....maybe it's dangerous ?
    Anytime an officer wants to set up in my driveway , I will welcome it....fools zooming up and down residential streets are not a good thing.
    Gary

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    I'm going to stick my neck out because stuff like this is frustrating.
    I understand that is the way the law is interpreted, therefore that is the law. But in principle, I disagree.
    I admit my views of LE and the government has become a bit jaded the last few years, so maybe that's it. But it's kind of disappointing to learn that a police officer can park on private property without permission of the owner when it is really unnecessary to do so.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So a real world lawyer offered their personal long term experience, but other folks feel differently.

The difference is his discussion pertained to defending someone charged with a crime with private property rights.

In this case its the private property rights being used to prosecute someone oversteping the legal duties.

As little a difference as it sounds, it is a massive difference. And while I doubt there is any legal precident prosecuting an on duty officer or department for this it doesnt make it an invalid issue.

The tresspassing law exempts package delivery but if a package delivery driver is going around looking in windows of houses he is not delivering to he can and should be charged with tresspassing. See the problem is people either put LEO's on pedistals or the exact oppisite, but in reality they have no more or less rights than you and I do. The difference is laws are in place to protect LEO's so they can do their jobs which may require them to otherwise break laws.

Yet another example: police are allowed to speed in response to a call or to chase a fleeing suspect. But their are numerous accounts of officers ticketing other officers for speeding through someone else's jurisdiction.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    How about next time they are out there, go introduce yourself, offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water, invite them to a service even. Then maybe if a member gets stopped they will remember how polite that congregation is and offer some leeway, if not, argue it in court as is your right. The church gets FREE SECURITY while they are out there, and the traffic will be safer for members getting in and out if it's a known speed trap area. It's a win-win, long as the members obey the limit, it's on a big sign in black and white.

Just a note: LRS 14:63E states that a law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties may enter or remain on the property or another. Just throwing that out there.

I don't know the specifics of this situation, but it would also be considered polite and neighborly if a police officer asked if a church would be open to having him park in their parking lot to issue tickets in the interest of public safety, and what times would not interfere with church business. Seems a bit more polite than someone having to get coffee and water for an officer who decided to use their parking lot and hoping to get leniency for their patrons or customers.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I don't know the specifics of this situation, but it would also be considered polite and neighborly if a police officer asked if a church would be open to having him park in their parking lot to issue tickets in the interest of public safety, and what times would not interfere with church business. Seems a bit more polite than someone having to get coffee and water for an officer who decided to use their parking lot and hoping to get leniency for their patrons or customers.

I absolutely love this response. Wish I had thought of it.

Also using my property without my permission and calling free security is like pissin on my leg and calling it rain.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...There is no requirement of probable cause for them to enter private property, only to search and/or seize and/or arrest...

So if a LEO shows up at my front door and says he doesn't suspect me of any crime, has no probable cause, just wants to come in and watch TV -- I would have to stand aside and allow him to come in?

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    So if a LEO shows up at my front door and says he doesn't suspect me of any crime, has no probable cause, just wants to come in and watch TV -- I would have to stand aside and allow him to come in?

Yeah and fix him some coffee and a sandwich. Then tell him, "here if you use my truck you could hide in plain site and write tickets all day long."

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I'm shocked this is a secret to you. Everyone knows cops can and actually do this all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I'm shocked this is a secret to you. Everyone knows cops can and actually do this all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I will volunteer my tv but we have to watch what I say.

Schoolhouse Rocks the "America Rocks" series.

And once we start watching no one leaves till all 12 episodes have been watched.

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    So after all this interesting discussion and postulation.... The answer to the OP's question is...Yes, the police may run speed limit enforcement on private property without the owner's permission and over their objection. This answer does not address the issue of "should" and it's political ramifications. Any speeding citations issued in this situation are valid and enforceable. Private property rights trump almost everything else, but public safety is one of the few concepts that win over property rights. The Constitution protects us from Unreasonable searches and seizures, but a LEO on your property running radar/lidar is not a search or seizure of your person or protected property. I know some of you may not like this answer and may disagree, but it is the current state of the law.

No, not in Louisiana. But good try!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

This actually happens to me on occasion. He retired about a year ago, but still knocks on my door to come in and watch TV. Drinks my beer too. :ohreally:

Do you think I should call Sharpton?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom