St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Arrogance in ignorance is not an admirable quality.

sent from my fone!

Tell me about it.

Like assumptions about someone when you have no idea who they are or what they know,
    or why or how they even came up with a specific opinion.

Or how some folks think since they drill wells,
    they must then be the know all experts in the entire field,
    yet they are still well drillers....hmm....

Of course that may not just be ignorance, but most definitely arrogance.

I haven't seen any of that here though...so no worries. :rolleyes:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Actually I was referring to someone who bases his opinion on someone elses opinion whose most qualifying experience is a patent on unrelated oilfield equipment.

It seems you've already shown your true colors here though and I expect you should be on a timeout soon to contemplate your expertise in these matters. Keep talking, I LOVE letting people hang themselves.

sent from my fone!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Actually I was referring to someone who bases his opinion on someone elses opinion whose most qualifying experience is a patent on unrelated oilfield equipment.

It seems you've already shown your true colors here though and I expect you should be on a timeout soon to contemplate your expertise in these matters. Keep talking, I LOVE letting people hang themselves.

sent from my fone!

Who is this guy? :mamoru:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have been in the oil field for over 25 years. Most of what I read in this thread is ********. Fracking is not high risk.

Does anyone reading this believe that Colorado is one of THE most green states in the union?

Take a guess where I currently drill wells to be fracked? Oh and by the way I am the lead supervisor on these wells. So yea I think I know what I'm talking about.

I read lots of "we don't know the long term affects". We already know them. There's very little. Fracking has been happening for about a 100 years.

Hitman your buddy in the business knows less than you do about fracking. No offense meant.

My objection as I he stated has more to do with traffic and road use plans than anything else, that being said if its so safe why are there documented cases of it contaminating ground water? It is likely very safe as many people in this thread that work in the field have stated but surely there is a potential for accidents, as evidenced by the accidents.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Whalmitfahrer .... I see now.... should have known.
    shakinghead.gif

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Every opinion I hear is either someone who is a) gonna make money off it or b) regurgitating some doom and gloom they read on a blog. I'd love to get some legit facts/opinions on it.
    Is there a list of incidents that HAVE happened due to fracking (like the one in Texas)? After reading all the what if and why it shouldn't I feel like I'm back at square one. I'd like to see real data instead of educated guesses by both sides of the argument.

How about a 'Yale University Energy Study Group'?
    The Arithmetic of Shale Gas

Expounded upon HERE

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Whalmitfahrer .... I see now.... should have known.
    shakinghead.gif

What does this have to do with fracking? Just as soon lock this thread up Austin, it just became an us and against y'all thread instead of what it was intended for. Is Hitman a mod on this forum?

Flying in an airplane is a risk, driving a car is a risk, hell walking out the front door of a house is a risk. But people do it all the time.

Do some research or how many wells have been fracked on land in the USA. Compare these numbers with the few that went bad.

I am in this business, it's how I make my money. I'm sure you guys have jobs and are experts at what ever you do. If I didn't know anything about your jobs I wouldn't say anything about them.

And by the way, drilling, completions and workover (fracking is included) is one of the most highly regulated industries in the USA. I know, I have to paperwork to prove it.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    My point was that there are safe practices in regards to protecting water resources. As long as they are adhered to the environment, both seen and unseen will be protected.

A more pertinent question was raised by VG. Traffic. Though the fields in South LA may be much smaller than those in ND. In Watford City there is a 45 minute traffic jam every day at 5pm. A city of 10k people can not support 35k people. Indefinately.

Are there other effects? Of course. Field subsidence is a known problem offshore Eugene island 330 for instance, and in pennsylvania where vast swaths of earth are removed and planned cave ins cause voids in the strata of our crust for coal mining.

I just drilled a 2 mile lateral well, its not just shell. Its all oil companies. They have learned to maximize production from a zone while minimizing surface area effects above ground. An example of old tech is wicket tx. There is a wellhead every 100' with flow lines snaking all over the place. Now the same oil resources could be exploited from less than a dozen wells. All thanks to horizontal drilling and fracking.

The only issue I have with fracking right now is waste. There is infrastructure to handle the oil. The incident natural gas is wasted, flared to atmosphere. Hundreds of flares can be seen every night in North dakota, QATAR, UAE, Bahrain. Each releasing enough energy to power a small town. All Because it would cost money to capture and sell the gas. So we squander a resource because it isnt profitable right now.

The other problem is government oversight. The concentrations are in the wrong areas. There should be a non partial government overseer witnessing every FIT, every casing test. Ive never seen one fudged, but time is money and I could imagine smaller producers cutting corners to save 30-100k in drilling,casing/cementing costs.

sent from my fone!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What does this have to do with fracking? Just as soon lock this thread up Austin, it just became an us and against y'all thread instead of what it was intended for. Is Hitman a mod on this forum?

Flying in an airplane is a risk, driving a car is a risk, hell walking out the front door of a house is a risk. But people do it all the time.

Do some research or how many wells have been fracked on land in the USA. Compare these numbers with the few that went bad.

I am in this business, it's how I make my money. I'm sure you guys have jobs and are experts at what ever you do. If I didn't know anything about your jobs I wouldn't say anything about them.

And by the way, drilling, completions and workover (fracking is included) is one of the most highly regulated industries in the USA. I know, I have to paperwork to prove it.

I think the difference here is having the risk with no gain, from a citizen standpoint. People take risk in exchange for reward. I drive a car because I'm too lazy to walk. I fly in planes because it's faster than driving. Some company fracking a mile and a half down the road from my house introduces risk (regardless how minute) with no reward for me. It's not a choice I get to make. Someone else gets to come in and make bajillions of dollars, and myself and my neighbors get the consequences.

I do believe that fracking is much safer than the sky is falling crowd implies, but at the same time it's the "few that went bad" that concern me. I'm sure there is guys in nice suits that have fantastic powerpoint presentations with charts and graphs showing how safe gulf drilling is, but that doesn't mean the BP spill didn't happen and shouldn't be a consideration for future plans.

Best case scenario I get increased traffic and infrastructure problems, worst case scenario I get environmental impact and decreased property value. Sounds great for the guys making money off of it.

For the record I'm all for oil companies doing their thing, and I'm fully aware I only own my little piece of the American pie and have no right to say what any entity does with property that ain't mine. But that doesn't mean the surrounding communities shouldn't have their opinion on the matter heard, since we are the ones truly effected by it.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    From personal experience I can say that traffic will get worse and stay that way for a very long time. Infrastructure will take a severe hit at first then be upgraded to 10 times better than it was.

You will also learn very quickly which rigs are "Salt Water Trucks" and you will learn to hate their drivers. Eventually, they too will be replaced with better drivers but in the beginning they will be a menace. Hopefully your senior LEO officials will adapt quickly and start cracking down on them.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    We don't live in Shrevport. I accepting paying a higher cost of living to not have to sit in traffic jams. I deliberately choose to live in an area that doesn't have the infrastructure to support fracking. I still own a home in Houma, there is a reason I moved.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Since there are persons of experience on this thread, please explain one thing : what chemicals are used in fracking?

As I understand it, each company has a proprietary/trademark/secret mixture that is injected with water into the fracture area, what are they using?
    If you think I am paranoid, you may be right, (remember corexit from the gulf?) but I do remember that things like DDT were wonderful until the little details emerged.

sandman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    St.Amant
    Since there are persons of experience on this thread, please explain one thing : what chemicals are used in fracking?

As I understand it, each company has a proprietary/trademark/secret mixture that is injected with water into the fracture area, what are they using?
    If you think I am paranoid, you may be right, (remember corexit from the gulf?) but I do remember that things like DDT were wonderful until the little details emerged.

You talking about the stuff showen to have no effect on wildlife.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    We don't live in Shreveport. I accepting paying a higher cost of living to not have to sit in traffic jams. I deliberately choose to live in an area that doesn't have the infrastructure to support fracking. I still own a home in Houma, there is a reason I moved.

I don't live in Shreveport either. I just use it because most folks aren't familiar with the extremely small town I live outside of, or at least they weren't before everyone up here heard of the "Haynesville Shale". When describing where I lived, I used to be able to tell people "I live 5 miles down a dirt road". Now it is 5 miles down a well maintained blacktop highway that you could land a DC9 on if you wanted to, lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom