St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'll bet there are either circumstances you are unaware of, arrangements you are unaware of, or the operator was unaware of the activities of the contractor.

No, no and doubtful. However, you will have to take my word for it. I cannot prove it here on this forum and would be hard pressed to prove it in person. Honestly you guys have me over a barrel here on the proof issue because in order to do so, I would have to start dropping names and instances and it would come back to haunt me IRL most likely. It would be dredging up things that have been LONG settled or glossed over and frankly it would be really bad form for me in my community to do so.

Also:
    an operator willingly and intentionally sourcing water from an illegal source

Illegal? Hard to say what laws are broken when it happens. I guess there is trespassing if the land is private :dunno: but I just don't know. Hard to put a price on a truck load of water or a few mudcats stuck to the filter. :dogkeke: If caught red handed, you could sue for damages but then you have to assess the damages. Again this is if it is all on private property.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Good point Jack. And I am just assuming you are over 20, if I am right then those wells and houses have been in existence for at least that long. The industry and the people are still thriving, the people were brought there by the oil industry. They came to work, saw they could make a good living so they settled there. It's very relevant to this entire thread. The reporter, in all her wisdom, has actually given the oil business a big positive mark. Fort Worth has survived all this fracking and has grown as a community because of it. No oil business = no Fort Worth.

Look at the big picture man, it's right there in front of you, but you are missing it because your mind is clouded in negativity.

I know my dad was drilling there in the mid 80's, which predates me by a hair. I agree that fracking is GREAT for the economy, gives good jobs, etc, but I also believe that dismissing concerns about possible pollution, environmental accidents, etc. is burying your head in the sand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-gallay/gas-industry-spin-cant-co_b_1392676.html

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Have you been to a truck stop and seen the diesel spillage?

Do you notice in that report how it never really says where the benzene or ozone is coming from?

I can tell you it's not from fracking. But I doubt u will believe me.

If the headline if that report was "exhaust fumes from interstate roads causing asthma". Would you believe it?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Have you been to a truck stop and seen the diesel spillage?

Do you notice in that report how it never really says where the benzene or ozone is coming from?

I can tell you it's not from fracking. But I doubt u will believe me.

I feel like we read the same things but the words mean totally different things.

It directly says where the ozone is coming from.

"In December 2011, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) reported that oil and gas operations in the Dallas-Fort Worth region emit more smog-causing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) than all cars, trucks, buses and other mobile sources in the area combined."

"Ozone, a corrosive gas that can exacerbate asthma and other respiratory diseases, is created when VOCs from petroleum operations mix with heat and sunlight."

If the headline if that report was "exhaust fumes from interstate roads causing asthma". Would you believe it?

I have no problem believing it is a contributing factor.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I think I discovered the biggest threat to us. Straight from Wikipedia. Lock up your daughters.

Social impact
    One study has linked shale gas operations to increased risks in public health and safety. A study in rural Pennsylvania found hydraulic fracturing to be associated with increases in heavy truck crashes, social disorder arrests and cases of sexually transmitted infections. In counties in rural Pennsylvania with at least one well per fifteen square miles, heavy truck crashes rose 7.2 percent. Additionally the study determined that in rural counties with heavy hydraulic fracturing operations disorderly conduct arrests rose by 17.1% while in rural counties without hydraulic fracturing operations the arrests only increased by 12.7%. Furthermore the study found that following hydraulic fracturing, the average rise in chlamydia and gonorrhea cases was 62% higher in rural counties with heavy hydraulic fracturing operations than in rural counties without these operations. It is likely that the increased rate of truck crashes, social disorder arrests and cases of sexually transmitted infections will increase public health costs in a community, but additional research is needed to fully understand the public health and safety impacts of hydraulic fracturing.[97][citation needed]

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I think I discovered the biggest threat to us. Straight from Wikipedia. Lock up your daughters.

Social impact
    One study has linked shale gas operations to increased risks in public health and safety. A study in rural Pennsylvania found hydraulic fracturing to be associated with increases in heavy truck crashes, social disorder arrests and cases of sexually transmitted infections. In counties in rural Pennsylvania with at least one well per fifteen square miles, heavy truck crashes rose 7.2 percent. Additionally the study determined that in rural counties with heavy hydraulic fracturing operations disorderly conduct arrests rose by 17.1% while in rural counties without hydraulic fracturing operations the arrests only increased by 12.7%. Furthermore the study found that following hydraulic fracturing, the average rise in chlamydia and gonorrhea cases was 62% higher in rural counties with heavy hydraulic fracturing operations than in rural counties without these operations. It is likely that the increased rate of truck crashes, social disorder arrests and cases of sexually transmitted infections will increase public health costs in a community, but additional research is needed to fully understand the public health and safety impacts of hydraulic fracturing.[97][citation needed]

Did I mention that 2 mobile whore houses were busted out here during our gas boom? :dogkeke:

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    "Oil and gas operations"

What does this mean to you?

It's a very broad statement. Does it mean drilling, fracking, production or trucking?

Prostitution? Seriously? Ok if y'all say so. Well I'm convinced, I'm quitting my job and will become a priest and battle fracking because it is the worst thing perpetrated on the human race since.....well I can't think of anything worse right now.

Y'all win, just too many googled links for me to compete with. Have a nice day.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    "Oil and gas operations"

It's a very broad statement. Does it mean drilling, fracking, production or trucking?

Prostitution? Seriously? Ok if y'all say so. Well I'm convinced, I'm quitting my job and will become a priest and battle fracking because it is the worst thing perpetrated on the human race since.....well I can't think of anything worse right now.

Well, to be fair one instance was more of a Human Trafficking case as the proprietor of said "Brothel" was running under age Mexican girls to service the oil & gas industry here.

But it did create "jobs".......

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Hey guys.....None of the above is pointed at you. I had a couple of glasses of wine and when I found the Wiki article it made me laugh. We have been so serious with this matter and it was an attempt to lighten things up.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think the bigger deal here gunut is NOT that Fracking is bad,
    or that it is worse than(etc), or that it isn't a good or effective way to get our resources,
    or even that it isn't vital to our economy, which it clearly is in a number of positive ways.

I think the uproar is with (THIS) particular location
    of said Fracking Well.

At least that's what I'm seeing from those in the location commenting here.
    They look at big oil as a vital piece to our economy
    but are desperately hoping that this particular location can be avoided.

gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I can understand that Hitman. What creates the fears or misunderstandings are the exact news and it internet links that people keep posting. But in the big picture St. T is no different than any other place.

My final words on this subject will be this.

If I had a water well as my source of water, I would have no problem with an oil company drilling and fracking a well on or even near my property. Whether I was compensated or not. That is how safe I believe this process to be.

I'll be back at the Exit Mammal if anyone wants to discuss this further.

Peace out.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    "Oil and gas operations"

You say that like they don't go hand in hand. I guarantee there won't be a fracking well in St. Tammany that isn't drilled and doesn't involve trucking.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    I was talking with my BIL this evening as his family owns one of the well companies here in St. Tammany. He personally doesn't see what the big deal is and most of the hysteria is coming from people who don't know what they're talking about. The aquifers are not all encompassing across the parish so you won't necessarily drill through one everytime, or at all depending on location. Couple that with the 50+ wells drilled already in the area without incident and what do you get...

And I do work in the industry but in the deep-ultra deepwater realm.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA

Wait, you didn't get the memo? The one about how being able to Google things automatically quantifies one as a subject matter expert on here...:rolleyes:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Wait, you didn't get the memo? The one about how being able to Google things automatically quantifies one as a subject matter expert on here...:rolleyes:

Even more so than claiming experience on a well makes you an environmental expert!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom