St.Tammany Fracking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Johnny rebel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Maurice, la
    Ganut you have been pretty spot on in your replies. I finally have had a chance to read this entire thread.

I am also one of the evil frackers who enjoy nothing more than destroying the environment and live in st Tammany.

I also happen to hold a bs in petro eng. I design and execute fracks across la. I would like to state a small point first. Fracking is part of the completion process not the drilling process. All wells penetrate surface water zones. Each area has required depths for surface casings. Cement returns must be seen at surface. Each string of casing after this after cementing has a cbl (cement bond log) run that determines if the cement will hold up. This isn't driveway concrete this is engineered cement that is lab tested for its ability to form hydraulic seal to prevent communication between zones.

Surface water that everyone seems terrified will be destroyed is much easier contaminated from the surface from run off and illegal dumping.

These same aquifers are being penetrated in Washington, tangy, and Livingston parishes.

Johnny rebel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Maurice, la
    Another point that several have made is the part about stealing oil from other peoples property as an industry we have the ability to steer the drill bit with amazing accuracy. We are also require to run gyro surveys to tell the state where the end of the well is located so no one has their oil stolen.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Another point that several have made is the part about stealing oil from other peoples property as an industry we have the ability to steer the drill bit with amazing accuracy. We are also require to run gyro surveys to tell the state where the end of the well is located so no one has their oil stolen.

I agree about the rig knowing exactly where the well ends, but when dealing with NG extraction, there are some grey areas as to the source and what belongs to who.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    It all gets back to regulation. We all bitch about too much regulation in America...until something happens in our backyards. Then we want more regulation.

This fracking debate is just another reason for all of us to sometimes forget about political parties and step back and look at the big picture when we vote.

As far as Louisiana goes...just as many who are concerned about fracking....you should be just as concerned/pissed about Senate Bill 469 concerning the lawsuit against oil companies destroying La wetlands. And the orphaned wells. And all of the lax regulation with oil and gas drilling.

Most of the horror stories of fracking causing damage to water wells is directly related to crappy drillers who cut corners. It all gets back to regulations IMO.

There is little doubt that the oil and gas pipeline canals have been instrumental in causing salt water intrusion which damages our wetlands.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    It all gets back to regulation. We all bitch about too much regulation in America...until something happens in our backyards. Then we want more regulation.

No actually. We want regulations which protect the right of individuals, without being unnecessarily onerous and intrusive.

To say nothing of "victimless crimes"

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

This fracking debate is just another reason for all of us to sometimes forget about political parties and step back and look at the big picture when we vote.

As far as Louisiana goes...just as many who are concerned about fracking....you should be just as concerned/pissed about Senate Bill 469 concerning the lawsuit against oil companies destroying La wetlands. And the orphaned wells. And all of the lax regulation with oil and gas drilling.

Most of the horror stories of fracking causing damage to water wells is directly related to crappy drillers who cut corners. It all gets back to regulations IMO.

There is little doubt that the oil and gas pipeline canals have been instrumental in causing salt water intrusion which damages our wetlands.

That pisses me off also, I like to hunt and fish. I like the swamps. Over developing areas ticks me off also. The explosive growth of cookie cutter subdivisions bugs me too. As far as I'm concerned, cities need to be building up, not out. Leave my countryside alone. Not much I can do about it though.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

My first degree was an associates in Petroleum Technology from McNeese. We covered geology, formations, drilling practices, and production. When I see the videos of people claiming the sour smell in their water is from drilling/fracting I roll my eyes. I worked offshore and on land producing wells and had to understand what's going on down hole. There is a science to it. Companies don't just arbitrarily drill any size hole anywhere. The fracting process is to open the formation to produce it. Depending on the formation this is usually a mile or more in the ground. No where near drinking water. The multiple layers of casing pipe that penetrate superficial strata protect those formations including drinking water.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    For you guys in the industry, can you answer two simple questions: Can fracking go wrong? And has it gone wrong before?

Just direct answers please, not technical specs, percentages, or telling me how much worse other things are anyway.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Yes, Anything can go wrong, its a stupid "gotcha" question that everyone already knows the answer to, but somehow makes you feel vindicated like you've got someone on the ropes.

You can break your penis while having sex, maybe you should stop doing that too.

sent from my fone!

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Yes, Anything can go wrong, its a stupid "gotcha" question that everyone already knows the answer to, but somehow makes you feel vindicated like you've got someone on the ropes.

You can break your penis while having sex, maybe you should stop doing that too.

sent from my fone!

I would like to try!!!!!! :chuckles:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I think the bigger deal here gunut is NOT that Fracking is bad,
    or that it is worse than(etc), or that it isn't a good or effective way to get our resources,
    or even that it isn't vital to our economy, which it clearly is in a number of positive ways.

I think the uproar is with (THIS) particular location
    of said Fracking Well.

At least that's what I'm seeing from those in the location commenting here.
    They look at big oil as a vital piece to our economy
    but are desperately hoping that this particular location can be avoided.
    ive noticed. its called NIMBY. Not in My Back Yard.

everyone supports wind power. attempt to put a wind farm somewhere and everyone nearby goes nuts.

everyone uses petroleum products, but they'll be damned if youre going yo drill for it here.

sent from my fone!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

sent from my fone!

No, it was an honest question. I asked it when the thread first started and got no answer.

The guys in the industry say it's harmless, and "oh but look over there that's dangerous too!" Which you just did again and it cracks me up every time. And the other side says the world is gonna implode if a single frack is fracked. I'm looking for the middle ground, what actually has gone wrong, and what were the results. You know, like...actual data to form an opinion on.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

sent from my fone!

Can confirm. Cousin is married to a urologist. Have your fun guys, but sometimes you just gotta know your limits :eek3:

/PSA

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom