Take 20 Seconds - Click Here to Email LA Representatives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    People routinely ask what they can do to help support the 2nd Amendment. Well, here is something easy: Follow the brief steps below and send the message below to our state representatives via the NRA's easy to use portal.

https://act.nraila.org/composeletters.aspx?AlertID=30

Steps: Click the above link, fill in your name and address, copy and paste the bolded message below (tailor to your needs if you so choose) into the form, click 'send email'

Note: Your name and address will be added on to the bottom of the email so the representatives know that you are actually a real person and within their area.

Respond here whenever you have sent in this email so the thread is bumped to the top and more users see it and send in messages.

I am writing you in strong opposition to the following bills: HB277, HB400, HB448, HB473, HB603, SB155, SB383, and SB185. As my state legislator, I urge you to represent my views, values, and attitudes on these bills.

America does have a problem with violence, not just gun violence. It doesn’t take one with a degree in advanced mathematics to understand that America has more violent crime than other *peaceful* nations, but we also have more crime in general when compared to nations like Canada, Australia, and Britain. It does, however, take someone knowingly or unknowingly ignorant of those facts to propose bills such as those.

We could easily say that we have an X problem or a Y problem; the harder thing to say is we have a criminal problem. We, as a nation, break laws more often than other nations.

With that fact in mind, I ask you, would eight (8) laws that attempt to make law-abiding citizens into criminals actually do anything besides empower our emboldened criminals and/or make more criminals?

The government’s sole purpose is to represent the majority and protect the minority’s freedoms.

The arrogant sheriff in Broward County squawks at the idea of citizens with guns being safer, his only solution is having fewer guns. America has roughly 320,000,000 firearms, 305,000,000 people with roughly half of the population being gun owners, according to national data. How is half of America responsible for a shooting? How are laws like this representing the majority (gun owners) or even protecting the majority? Disregard the fact that concealed handgun licensees are the MOST law-abiding demographic in the entire country, and even police are more likely to commit a crime than a concealed handgun carrier. AR-15 type rifles are the most popular rifle in America currently. The reasons have been enumerated ad nauseum. If AR-15 type rifles are the most popular, that means a majority of the 320M guns could be AR-15’s. Why do we forget that there are more deaths every year due to fists and feet than all rifles combined, not just the AR-15 type rifles?

Florida recently passed a bill requiring that the minimum age for firearm ownership be raised to 21 years of age. How is it definitive if this would stop these massacres?

Data supports that where there is THE FREEDOM to possess, carry, and/or use a firearm defensively, the incidence of these mass tragedies is insurmountably low. Why? Because active shooters are nothing more than cowards that wish to hurt others and then take their own lives. If you put them in an environment where the headlines would read, *Would-be Active Shooter taken down by law-abiding citizen, 1 death*, they WILL NOT go there to inflict the pain and carnage they seek.

I do support laws that remove the restriction from teachers who wish to carry firearms in their schools, if they carry outside of school why shouldn’t they carry inside of their schools as well? Have they not gone through the training, have they not obtained a license saying they could, and have they not the right to defend their class full of students? I’m certainly not saying that the government should impose a law requiring teachers to carry, I’m saying the government should give the teachers their right to choose back, their constitutionally protected right.

The conversation on guns is one-sided. The side speaking has little facts. Sociologists around the world say that to stop these shootings, you must stop giving the shooters the air time. This has worked in other countries as well.

We are actively dismantling our constitution, the second amendment is under siege, with it the first is being attacked with people repressing the opinions of gun owners, our president is attacking the fifth amendment to due process. Louisiana’s proposed laws also violate the 14th amendment.

I ask you my final question. Is our country in such a dark place because of guns or gun owners, or have we given up on what it truly means to be free?

In closing, as your constituent, I am asking that you please represent me in standing against HB277, HB400, HB448, HB473, HB603, SB155, SB383, and SB185.

You can send other messages to LA Federal Reps as well by clicking the following link:
    https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=30

Lastly, please feel free to share the link to this thread (https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?173067) or the instructions above with your friends, family, and acquaintences. The more people that send messages to our representatives the merrier. I will try to keep things like this current so members can easily contact them. If you have a message that you think needs to be broadcasted to BayouShooter members, please let me know. I am more than willing to do all that I can.

Addition:
    If you would like to email anyone specifically, here are their addresses and information:
    Name - Committee Rank, District and city - Party; email address

Mack, Sherman Q. – Chairman, Dist. 95 (Albany) – R; macks@legis.la.gov
    Pylant, Steve E. - Vice Chair, Dist. 20 (Winnsboro) – R; pylants@legis.la.gov
    Bacala, Tony – Member, Dist. 59 (Prairieville) – R; bacalat@legis.la.gov
    Bagneris, John H. – Member, Dist.100 (New Orleans) – D; bagnerisj@legis.la.gov
    Carpenter, Barbara – Member, Dist. 63 (Baton Rouge) – D; carpenterb@legis.la.gov
    Crews, Raymond J. – Member, Dist. 8 (Bossier City) – R; crewsr@legis.la.gov
    Dwight, Stephen – Member, Dist. 35 (Lake Charles) – R; dwights@legis.la.gov
    Gaines, Randal L. – Member, Dist. 57 (LaPlace) – D; gainesr@legis.la.gov
    Hazel, Lowell C. "Chris" – Member, Dist. 27 (Pineville) – R; hazelc@legis.la.gov
    Hodges, Valarie – Member, Dist. 64 (Denham Springs) – R; hodgesv@legis.la.gov
    Howard, Frank A. – Member, Dist. 24 (Many) – R; howardf@legis.la.gov
    James, Edward C. "Ted" – Member, Dist. 101 (Baton Rouge) – D; james.ted@legis.la.gov
    Landry, Terry – Member, Dist. 96 (New Iberia) – D; landryt@legis.la.gov
    Marcelle, Denise – Member, Dist. 61 (Baton Rouge) – D; marcelled@legis.la.gov
    Marino, Joseph – Member, Dist. 85 (Gretna) – I; marinoj@legis.la.gov
    Norton, Barbara M. – Member, Dist. 3 (Shreveport) – D; nortonb@legis.la.gov
    Stefanski, John M. – Member, Dist. 42 (Crowley) – R; stefanskij@legis.la.gov
    Barras, Taylor F. - Ex Officio, Dist. 48 (New Iberia) – R; barrast@legis.la.gov
    Leger, Walt III - Ex Officio, Dist. 91 (New Orleans) – D; legerw@legis.la.gov

If you'd rather call or write snail mail go to the Committee's home page and clck on the members' names to access their contact information.
    http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Cmtes/CriminalJustice.aspx

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Can somebody post the quote without quoting? I can't figure how to copy it on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am writing you in strong opposition to the following bills: HB277, HB400, HB448, HB473, HB603, SB155, SB383, and SB185. As my state legislator, I urge you to represent my views, values, and attitudes on these bills.

America does have a problem with violence, not just gun violence. It doesn’t take one with a degree in advanced mathematics to understand that America has more violent crime than other *peaceful* nations, but we also have more crime in general when compared to nations like Canada, Australia, and Britain. It does, however, take someone knowingly or unknowingly ignorant of those facts to propose bills such as those.

We could easily say that we have an X problem or a Y problem; the harder thing to say is we have a criminal problem. We, as a nation, break laws more often than other nations.

With that fact in mind, I ask you, would eight (8) laws that attempt to make law-abiding citizens into criminals actually do anything besides empower our emboldened criminals and/or make more criminals?

The government’s sole purpose is to represent the majority and protect the minority’s freedoms.

The arrogant sheriff in Broward County squawks at the idea of citizens with guns being safer, his only solution is having fewer guns. America has roughly 320,000,000 firearms, 305,000,000 people with roughly half of the population being gun owners, according to national data. How is half of America responsible for a shooting? How are laws like this representing the majority (gun owners) or even protecting the majority? Disregard the fact that concealed handgun licensees are the MOST law-abiding demographic in the entire country, and even police are more likely to commit a crime than a concealed handgun carrier. AR-15 type rifles are the most popular rifle in America currently. The reasons have been enumerated ad nauseum. If AR-15 type rifles are the most popular, that means a majority of the 320M guns could be AR-15’s. Why do we forget that there are more deaths every year due to fists and feet than all rifles combined, not just the AR-15 type rifles?

Florida recently passed a bill requiring that the minimum age for firearm ownership be raised to 21 years of age. How is it definitive if this would stop these massacres?

Data supports that where there is THE FREEDOM to possess, carry, and/or use a firearm defensively, the incidence of these mass tragedies is insurmountably low. Why? Because active shooters are nothing more than cowards that wish to hurt others and then take their own lives. If you put them in an environment where the headlines would read, *Would-be Active Shooter taken down by law-abiding citizen, 1 death*, they WILL NOT go there to inflict the pain and carnage they seek.

I do support laws that remove the restriction from teachers who wish to carry firearms in their schools, if they carry outside of school why shouldn’t they carry inside of their schools as well? Have they not gone through the training, have they not obtained a license saying they could, and have they not the right to defend their class full of students? I’m certainly not saying that the government should impose a law requiring teachers to carry, I’m saying the government should give the teachers their right to choose back, their constitutionally protected right.

The conversation on guns is one-sided. The side speaking has little facts. Sociologists around the world say that to stop these shootings, you must stop giving the shooters the air time. This has worked in other countries as well.

We are actively dismantling our constitution, the second amendment is under siege, with it the first is being attacked with people repressing the opinions of gun owners, our president is attacking the eighth amendment to due process. Louisiana’s proposed laws also violate the 14th amendment.

I ask you my final question. Is our country in such a dark place because of guns or gun owners, or have we given up on what it truly means to be free?

In closing, as your constituent, I am asking that you please represent me in standing against HB277, HB400, HB448, HB473, HB603, SB155, SB383, and SB185.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Done.

Sent snail mail letters to the Federal guys last week as I thought they might appreciate the effort. Also sent some positive e-mails to companies like Duluth trading and Mountain Khaki that I see advertising on shooting related television. Tired of complaining after someone disassociates with us and decided to go positive.

Top Bottom