Taurus stigma

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    QC Issues, very hit and miss company

I owned a Millenium PT380 which I highly regret selling, it was my ex wifes gun and I sold it while being pissed of at her after we divorced, gun NEVER gave me any issues and since it was built on a 9mm frame the recoil was very comfortable for the shooter, eventhough it was a big frame.

THen I bought a Millenium 9, biggest POS I have ever had and I have had quite a few guns, she went back to Taurus 3 times and every single time she came back she had a new issue, they went to the extend of replacing my barrel once after it cracked, trigger went to crap twice on that one.

I traded it for a MIllenium 40 cal, the owner claimed it had too much recoil for him and my 9mm had just came back from an overhaul so we figured why not, the trigger on that one also went to crap about 400 rounds into it, sent her to Taurus for repair and once I received it back she was sold and never looked into their weapons again.

Recently I shot a PT1911 in .38Super and she was very thight, nicely built IMO but with the bad taste that Taurus gave me I wouldnt consider buying one unless it was VERY cheap, as it would only be another kid in the safe and NEVER a carry gun as I cannot trust them any more.

I know of people who have fired 2k rounds without a problem but my experience is diferent with the brand, and I can very easily justify spending an extra $75 and buying a used gun with a proven track record.

A lot of people consider them due to their lifetime transferable warranty, but it takes 6-10 weeks before you get it back so if its your Defense gun it does you no good to be without it for a couple of months while its being repaired.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have put over 1500 rounds through my millennium .40. No issues whatsoever. Now my ruger MKIII after less than 300 rounds, I cannot pull the slide back more than half an inch.

(NOT trying to speak down about your experences) but for many of us that's a good weekend training.

There is a HUGE difference between 50 rounds here and there, and 1K+ rounds in 2 days.

PERFECT illustration is an AR and steel cased rounds.

They are FINE for casual plinking... but really 'run the gun' and the 'core issues' show through.

Same with Taurus.

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I have shot a few hundred rounds through my 24/7 Pro and it always works perfect. I have had nothing but good experience with it.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I have put over 1500 rounds through my millennium .40. No issues whatsoever. Now my ruger MKIII after less than 300 rounds, I cannot pull the slide back more than half an inch.

Ahem, did you try and "take it apart" :rolleyes:.

I've had over 12K rounds through my MKIII, and the situation you speak of is likely user error...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I was involved in a test of the 24/7 on behalf of the Mil organization it was obtensibly designed for. We broke bot sample guns less than 1000rds into the test. On one of the pieces the slide hit the shooter in the face. Instead of seeing what was wrong with their guns and how they could fix them Taurus accused us of using the improperly. That in my book was case closed.

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    toughness of a taurus

I have been buying taurus's since the first came to the market. Never had any problems at all.
    In fact, I have a 605 snubnose that was in a house that was totally destroyed by fire. The gun
    was found in the ashes about a month later.
    It shot all 5 rounds out, The one in the chamber went out the normal way, the other four shot
    right out of the cylinder. The gun was froze up, I took it all apart and cleaned and polished
    everything, checked for cracks etc. The only bad part was the tip of the trigger was broke off.
    Replaced the trigger and installed a complete set of springs.
    Shoots like it was new.......nuff said

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I've owned 5 Taurus's and still have 1. I've had 3 revolvers, the snub nose and older .38 with 4" barrel were reliable guns. The 608 .357 mag I had and sold ended up having to be sent back to the factory I believe, I think he said they had to adjust the timeing. I also owned a Millinium Pro 111 in 9mm, out of 100 rounds of ammo it did not fire 4 rounds the first shot, 2 of those 4 did not fire at all after multiple pin strikes, the other two fired on second try. The ammo was a 250 round box, I have fired the other 150 rounds through my XD subcompact with out any problems, all fired on first try! I got rid of the Millinium Pro and will never own another. I currently still have my PT1911AR in .45acp. It has been a great gun, no problems what so ever, and I find it much less picky with reloaded ammo. It will chew up and put down range what ever you hand, and it will do it with consistant groups! Installing fiber optic sights on it was tedious though!!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Yeah, it's pretty widely accepted that they make much better revolvers than bottom feeders.

Not exactly elegant or tip-top of the line-- but reliable, for the most part. There's still the chance of hit-or-miss, but it seems that their wheelgun production is much more consistent.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I was involved in a test of the 24/7 on behalf of the Mil organization it was obtensibly designed for. We broke bot sample guns less than 1000rds into the test. On one of the pieces the slide hit the shooter in the face. Instead of seeing what was wrong with their guns and how they could fix them Taurus accused us of using the improperly. That in my book was case closed.

That in my mind does not speak very highly of Taurus.

:confused:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I personally know several 1911 experts and use an unadvertised smith who does work & tune-ups for several elite federal agencies. He believes that Kimbers are POS's.

I own several expensive carry pieces: Kimber UCDP, Python (original,bought new in '70), Smith "Scandium", Walther, etc.; but chose to carry a Taurus MP PT 145 frequently. Cost is a non-issue.

I just don't understand this divisiveness over Taurus. My experiences have been very, very different. I have had numerous GLOCK & Beretta malfunctions; but, never a problem with any of my three Taurus'.

leVieux

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    I have bought 2 for customers in recent years.

A .357 revolver- timing was so off, it would shave jackets and bind up the action- had to be sent back.

A .380 auto (millenium ?)- would not function at all with any ammo or mag. Sent back, Taurus quoted some issue with the slide.

I would never buy one for myself. I warn customers, but will order anything they want.

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Both my wife and I carry Taurus PT slim (Hers in 9mm, mine in 40 SW). I purchaced a Springfield XD which I truly love but it is not a practical gun to conceal. I have not put over 1000 rounds through either one of them but I have never had a failier of any kind either, and for their size they seem to be accurate. And since we do not use these for anything other than personal defense we don't need a gun to shoot accurately past 10 or 15 feet anyway. I know there are many more expensive pistols out there but since we both carry, the slim seems to be the most comfortable and easiest to conceal. They are easily stripped for cleaning and after carrying them all day I almost forget I carry. I had a more difficult time buying a comfortable holster than the gun it self. And I own other hand guns including Colt, Smith and Springfield (no Glocks) and others and but so far have no complaints. These are the only Tauruses I have so and have no other experiance with them and maybe one day I'll find another one to carry that will fit my preferances.
    From my studies, they have improved QC and I really havn't read many negative articles about them. The NRA named it the Pistol of the year so it can't be all that bad.

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    Le Vieux,

I am like you in a way. I own 3 Tauruses and have not had any problem with them (PT 99, 85, PT 111 Mil Pro). However, when you have very knowledgable instructors and shooters like Vanilla Gorilla and others who have personal experience with them and have seen multiple failures, you must give that some serious weight. Same comments I see on other boards as well. If you get a decent one you are OK, but lots and lots of people have had issues with them. More than what I would consider normal for a quality company.

I have the same opinion about the Keltec PF9. You read some guys who absolutely love them, but many , many reports of problems. While the PF9 style, weight and capability really appeal to me, I have written it off since I do not feel I could count on it if the need arose. I am getting that same feeling with Taurus. But to each his own. Each person has to make their own informed decision on the issue.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    So one can gather from this thread that Taurus pistols

1. Don't work all the time

2. Hate honey badgers.

I have seen some much older revolvers of theirs function flawlessly.
    I guess it is like everything else.

Some days you get chicken, other days you get feathers!

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I regret selling my Taurus PT111. However, I have heard many horror stories about Taurus. I may buy a Taurus 9mm to have fun with, but I would never carry a Taurus.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I am endlessly fascinated by these threads and the people who post therein.

There is usually one person who is innocently and unabashedly seeking advice. He is pursuing no agenda, has few if any preconceived notions, and turns to gun forums hoping to elicit information and/or advice. I admire the folks in this group.

Respondents in these threads often include a few SME's (Subject Matter Experts). They have extensive training, and a wealth of pertinent and valid experience, that qualify them to render opinions in response to the OP's query. I respect and admire the folks in this group.

Another group is populated by members who simply wish to pad their post counts. They are identifiable by responses that typically include "+1" and/or several emoticons. I sometimes think these folks may need another hobby, but I consider them to be harmless.

The most entertaining posters, however, are the self-anointed gurus (SAG) who happen to have owned (or seen in a magazine) the firearm in question. They usually state, with some level of pride, the inconsequential number of rounds that they have personally fired though the weapon that is being discussed. None of them has ever taken a training class (other than perhaps a CCW course), nor have any of them ever participated in handgun competitions.

A SAG will often have a high post count, which he proudly considers to be an indicator of expertise (rather than loquaciousness) And despite his acknowledged lack of applicable experience, a SAG is ever-willing to (a) state unequivocally that the firearm under discussion is ultra-reliable because he (or his neighbor's hairdresser) has owned one for "years" and has "never had a problem," or (b) proffer a suggested alternative with which he has experience (such as a Hi-Point or a Kel-Tec).

SAG's are often identifiable by their recitation, usually in their sig line, of the guns and (matching Fobus) holsters they own. They do little actual harm, unless they manage to convince the OP (and others who read the thread) to follow the their advice. Without getting all theological, I would suggest that such a scenario calls to mind Matthew 15:14

In closing, I will confess to membership in the final group -- EAC's (Easily Amused Curmudgeons).

Stan Le

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Amelia, La
    I'm a newbie and in no way have put enough rounds thru my 24/7 pro .45 to give any kind of good advice on its performance other then the times I shot it, it didn't give me problems. It was my first hand gun purchase it was cheap and something that I could take out and learn to shoot a hang gun with. Whose to say it will or will not give me problems between here and 2-3k rounds but I'll never know as I'm planning to sell it because I really don't have a need for a large semi auto...I'm thinking I'll replace it with a nice .38 for a ccw and keep learning more about long guns and shooting long distances...

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What pangris said.

I also have read lots of good reviews from Taurus owners. Typically they have 100-200 rounds through the gun. Show me even a handful of positive reviews of a Taurus run hard (classes, etc) for a few thousand rounds and I'll be impressed. Simply put, it won't happen.

The only Taurus I have is a Judge. Cool gun, but I don't shoot it much. For the reasons Pangris stated, I'd go Glock, Springfield, Ruger, or Smith for a very well made and well manufactured striker fired semi-auto.

Top Bottom