The 2013 price gouging rant/vent thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    But it's his first post ;)

157.jpg

kapkanimd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I think things will be quieting down soon.. Seems like they are. I am sure manufacturers have ramped up production and once they caught up and people run out of money there will be plenty for everyone

lt1rx798

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    A guy had 1k rds of remaned american eagle .223 for $1500 on a FB swap group. I don't normally call out these ppl, but that dude was on another planet.

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    Weapons training and ammunition in Pearl River was selling 20 round boxes of steel cased 7.62x39 for $12.99 a box. They'll never get my business again.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Screw it, Im selling! I've been holding onto it for a while but with prices this high I'm cashing in.

Flash hider, Magpul AFG, Troy folding front sight, Aimpoint on RS Products mount, VTAC flashlight mount with 250 lumen light. Comes with one black PMag (no window). The rest is an assortment of standard capacity and low capacity magazines. Asking $3200 for the whole package, non negotiable. May be open to trades. Did I mention that it's full auto?

myvy5e8y.jpg

e6asy5uv.jpg

Ill throw in the grip pod also. As well as some rounds I have laying around.

LOL Borrowing this for facebook. too funny

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    A guy had 1k rds of remaned american eagle .223 for $1500 on a FB swap group. I don't normally call out these ppl, but that dude was on another planet.

as much as i hate it i dont call people out, there is a FB group im on and a guy put 500 rounds of federal .223 up for $600 and claimed he wasnt gouging. So i called him out on it.

If your gonna charge that much dont try and defend it. please

Jackarup1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Gonzales
    Speed has it right. Was talking to a shop owner and a guy came in asking about ARs. Shop owner says they may only get one or two a week if that and they are putting them on gunbroker for the most part. Customer is ticked. Shop owner says "would you pay me $2000 for a Bushmaster?" Guy says of course not. Shop owner says "there are hundreds of guys on Gunbroker that will right now." Point is, the days of picking up the phone and ordering 5-6 ARs at a time for stock are gone (for now at least). Making 8% with a shelf full of guns can pay the bills. Making 8% off one or two a week does not and shops are being forced to make up the difference somewhere or go under. I can't fault them for that. When bricks of 22LR are selling for $75 a box on gunbroker does it make sense to put it on the shelf for $25 a box considering they don't even know when they can get more? The carpetbaggers are causing the problems. Not the shops. Like Speed said, the carpetbaggers would just buy up the stuff at the regular price and jack up the prices anyway.

Temporary high profits while alienating loyal local customers doesn't seem to be a very good business model. While I do understand why, when all this dies down and the local guy doesn't shop there anymore I can't blame him.

5vegas

Smoke em
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Metairie
    Just to comment on my original post...
    Yup, WallyWorld still has the same pricing.
    Just saying..... Seems there supplier didn't gouge them.

5vegas

Smoke em
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Metairie
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding "penatrators" thread....? But , if no one is to point fingers or bring up logical conversations on gouging and people just out right being a$$holes, where else is one to vent? A monster truck forum?
    After all..... This is a gun related forum where shooters come to shoot the breeze.( positive or negative )
    Again, if I took his thread in the wrong context, I apologize. :)

"sent from my phone using my fingers while drinking rum"

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Does anyone else grasp the ironical nature of folks loudly supporting a man's right to own whatever gun he sees fit and then loudly denying his right to value it as he sees fit?

w00tsawt0n1lanbsq5jq.gif

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Does anyone else grasp the ironical nature of folks loudly supporting a man's right to own whatever gun he sees fit and then loudly denying his right to value it as he sees fit?

w00tsawt0n1lanbsq5jq.gif

I agree a man should sell his possessions for what ever price he can get. But buying up all the ammo as it arrives at WalMart et al and posting it on line at over double the price is making the problem worse. It is hurting real gun enthusiasts. They claim to be entrepreneurs. I say this practice is slime economics.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Every market bubble bursts, sooner or later. It happened in tulip bulbs in Holland. It happened in the housing market. It'll happen with this.

As always some will profit some will lose. The smart money is the former, the not so smart is the latter.

The smart play is in and out early. A close second is to just sit it out and pick up the pieces afterwards.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Temporary high profits while alienating loyal local customers doesn't seem to be a very good business model. While I do understand why, when all this dies down and the local guy doesn't shop there anymore I can't blame him.

The point is, when the shop owner can't restock as often or as much as he normally can then he is losing money anyway and may very well go out of business and the local guy won't have a place to shop there anyway.

Simple math. Say I can buy 100 rifles a month and sell them for 8% profit and pay the bills. Now, because of the scare I can only find 20-30 a month because all of my distributors are out. I can't make ends meet by selling 20 a month at 8%. If I can go on Gunbroker and list them with a 15% profit (and the bidders are bidding them up to 75% - 100% profit) then what's the smart move as a business owner?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom