Today I was taught how to operate a seatbelt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Learned something new today. I got pulled over, was asked by the trooper to step out my vehicle. I wasn't speeding and had my seatbelt on, so I was pretty confused as to why he pulled me over. He then told me I was getting a ticket for not having my seat belt on. I told him that it was on, as it was, and he told me it wasn't over my complete body and arm as it should be. I've always worn mine with the cross belt goin under my left arm pit. This is the improper way to wear one. Ain't that some s*#$.......I know I'll probably catch hell with the cops here but it seemed like BS to me.
    (INB4justobeythelaw)
    Good that you learned. What you were doing is rediculously unsafe. Still sucks that you were taxed for the lesson, as it was an honest error seemingly. Roads need paved, guns need bullets. Sometimes its your wallet, sometimes not. Seatbekt tickets aren't that bad though I don't think, are they?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I blame Obama.

Seriously. People were so much cooler when Bush was prez. Since Obama took office, everyone has lost their friggin' minds freaking out about things that never happen and everyone is out to get them. When people are mad at the government, it is often taken out on local law enforcement, as they are really the only accessible "representative" of the government. Call it misdirected anger if you will.
    More taxes. Less financial certainty. More stress. More venting.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Good that you learned. What you were doing is rediculously unsafe. Still sucks that you were taxed for the lesson, as it was an honest error seemingly. Roads need paved, guns need bullets. Sometimes its your wallet, sometimes not. Seatbekt tickets aren't that bad though I don't think, are they?
    I can agree to this completely, well besides the ridiculously unsafe which is a little extreme but We all do unsafe things everyday whether people want to admit it or not. It's not a big deal, part of life. Live and learn. We're all individuals here and we have a responsibility as people. That cheeseburger might kill you one day, so will that beer bottle, but I'm willing to bet we all have enjoyed the not so "safe" things in life. Was I putting other people at risk by not wearing a proper seatbelt? No, Will i correctly wear it now to avoid the ticket again? Sure

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Sorry, Jack. Didn't catch that last. See, I haven't thought of you at all since then. Unfortunately someone quoted you here. Against my better judgement I clicked [View Post] and saw you go to calling someone stupid in two posts. Well done. Same old.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Sorry, Jack. Didn't catch that last. See, I haven't thought of you at all since then. Unfortunately someone quoted you here. Against my better judgement I clicked [View Post] and saw you go to calling someone stupid in two posts. Well done. Same old.

Ok, no judgement here, no need to keep bringing it up. Anyone ever have a girl that you got rid of who keeps calling you to tell you she isn't thinking about you? I feel really weirded out right now.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    That cop probably saved you from serious injury someday, and it only cost you $50. You should write him a thank you letter.

I did a six month internship on a rehab unit that treated closed head injuries. If you saw what I experienced you wouldn't think twice about wearing your seat belt correctly.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I can agree to this completely, well besides the ridiculously unsafe which is a little extreme but We all do unsafe things everyday whether people want to admit it or not. It's not a big deal, part of life. Live and learn. We're all individuals here and we have a responsibility as people. That cheeseburger might kill you one day, so will that beer bottle, but I'm willing to bet we all have enjoyed the not so "safe" things in life. Was I putting other people at risk by not wearing a proper seatbelt? No, Will i correctly wear it now to avoid the ticket again? Sure

No, I'm serious. It really is ridiculously unsafe. It can seriously hurt you, and there is no real reason to be doing it out of ignorance. I mean, it's a totally profit-less risk and you didn't mean to take it. It was your ignorance that caused it. To me, that makes it "ridiculously unsafe". If you did get in a wreck, it NO DOUBT in my mind WOULD CAUSE much more severe trauma than wearing it correctly. This isn't a "I am speeding, but I might not get in a wreck". This is a "if you are in a wreck, I am 100% sure that this will hurt you needlessly" thing. Now you know better, and will (hopefully) do better. I'm just glad that now ANYTHING UNSAFE YOU DO, willing or not, will be MORE SAFE than before for you.

Others at risk? No. Not directly. I mean, we can argue tertiary victims all day, but I agree with you. The lesson was good, the ticket was just revenue.

Not busting your balls at all, or trying to, I'm just saying that what you were doing is counter-productive and I'm glad for your sake that you learned otherwise, but sucks it cost you some money, but glad it was money and not bones and blood.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I did a six month internship on a rehab unit that treated closed head injuries. If you saw what I experienced you wouldn't think twice about wearing your seat belt correctly.

I have been in several accidents:

-Put a Trans Am through a golf-course fence being an idiot (age 18)
    -T-boned someone who pulled out in the middle of a 4-lane and stopped in my lane, running a stop-sign to do so. (age 17)
    -Rear-ended at a light (age 23)
    -Was T-boned by a drunk-girl who ran a red-light (that bent the frame on a P71 interceptor---nerd-rage for "Crown Vic") (Age 19)
    -Was hit in the left-front by a girl who lost control of her SUV and slammed into the guard-rail on my left (Age 26)

In every single one of those accidents, except the last because lateral forces were all that were involved, I can tell you that wearing a seat-belt was VERY BENEFICIAL TO ME. None of those involved air-bags, even the crown-vic with a bent-frame. That one was a pretty good impact.

Seat-belts are awesome. I honestly wish all passenger cars came optional with multi-point belts. I would take the time to use them.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    As a young stupid teenager, I got into a fender bender where I was not wearing my seat belt. We were stopped to make a left turn off the highway at an intersection without signs or lights. Lady behind us wasn't paying attention hit us from behind probably still going 30mph if I were to guess, when she hit us. I had taken off the belt to reach for something in the back, had just settled back into normal sitting posture when we were struck. My shins and knees struck the glove box and other framework there and it really sucked for a while. Later as a young stupid teenager, I was driving a chevy 350 z71 silverado 99mph right at the governor, late for school, was passing a line of cars when someone pulled out and causes me to jerk back into the lane too fast, started fish tailing, and rolled it in a cow field at that high speed, rolled 13 truck-sized indentations into a vacant cow field. I was wearing my seat belt. I hopped out of the shattered driver side window and walked to the road to meet the ambulance. I suffered a bruised and sore elbow (probably hit the driver side glass) and a bunch of very minor glass cuts. Barrel rolling over and over in a field.

Whether it's a "minor" wreck or a major, they save you. I guarantee if I had the shoulder belt below my arm pit, I'd have gotten messed up bad and maybe scrambled some insides.

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I am curious about why the law does not pertain to school buses. It would make sense since the bus driver is usually always yelling at kids to sit down anyway. :dunno:

ms_crabtree_south_park.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom