Trigger happy much?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    My only concern was the six rounds expended at that range and he only hit the victim once in the hip? The ex officer and the victim were both lucky in that instance.

Why he continued to fire even once the victims hands were raised (2 additional shots) was just a literal lethal combination of adrenaline and fear.

The speed at which the victim entered his vehicle put the officer on alert... However, that was fueled by the officer asking for his license. Just the sight of the lights is enough to make some civilians adrenaline pump.

It's a bad situation... But the ex officer could have used some basic survival skills to avoid that confrontation. He shouldn't have approached the vehicle in the gas station for a seat belt violation. The victim was already out of the vehicle and at that point it's your word against mine. He had no witness or additional officer with him. He should have waited until the victim pulled away and performed a stop. It would have been a more controlled environment.

He was in a bad situation from the get go. Sitting in the alley next to the gas station was a bad setup for catching seat belt violators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    My only concern was the six rounds expended at that range and he only hit the victim once in the hip? The ex officer and the victim were both lucky in that instance.

Why he continued to fire even once the victims hands were raised (2 additional shots) was just a literal lethal combination of adrenaline and fear.

The speed at which the victim entered his vehicle put the officer on alert... However, that was fueled by the officer asking for his license. Just the sight of the lights is enough to make some civilians adrenaline pump.

It's a bad situation... But the ex officer could have used some basic survival skills to avoid that confrontation. He shouldn't have approached the vehicle in the gas station for a seat belt violation. The victim was already out of the vehicle and at that point it's your word against mine. He had no witness or additional officer with him. He should have waited until the victim pulled away and performed a stop. It would have been a more controlled environment.

He was in a bad situation from the get go. Sitting in the alley next to the gas station was a bad setup for catching seat belt violators.

Thanks for confirming my point about using the seat belt violation as a way to make legal contact. Also, you hit on a point that no one else has, one of my first thoughts when I saw the video. If this 'stop', if you will, were truely about a seat belt violation then why was the officer's procedure so aggressive? Why did he approach him like he did?.... Because this had nothing to do with a seat belt, that's why.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    That's a possible consideration, as I heard on the news that the officer was a onetime "Trooper of the Year", I believe.

Yes, I believe he was given the award for Valor in the Line of Duty or something like that because a similar incident to this happened and the guy actually pulled a gun (at least I think I read that somewhere).

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Yes, I believe he was given the award for Valor in the Line of Duty or something like that because a similar incident to this happened and the guy actually pulled a gun (at least I think I read that somewhere).
    So, if this is in fact true, is it justifiable to use this information to justify a lesser sentence, or give an excuse for this incident? Because I don't see how this has anything to do with the guy he put lead into which happened to not be reaching for a weapon, he was just doing what he was asked to do.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Past experiences whether good or bad is used all the time in sentencing. That's why sentencing can be a seperate hearing. So things like that can be discussed.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Past experiences whether good or bad is used all the time in sentencing. That's why sentencing can be a separate hearing. So things like that can be discussed.

This...

Cops are human beings too, they go through the same emotions we do, and sometimes they can be fueled by adrenaline, anxiety, and past experiences that can trigger reactions, good or bad. I have yet to see a single post on malpractice by a medical doctor by you, that resulted in death, or the wrong man being fried in an electric chair, only to have his name cleared after the fact.

People **** up all the time, your grandparents, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. Some of those you know have resulted in a death or fatality. It doesn't mean we label your entire family or spectrum of friends/acquaintances as shitty people just because of that singular person's actions.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEOS FOLLOWING VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

Suspects always come out of their vehicle with erratic movement to grab their licenses as well. Always. /sarcasm

If you have to grab something out of your vehicle, alert the police officer about what you are doing, don't move quickly to the cab and out of his sight, let him know calmly and clearly where your license and insurance is located. It made me nervous watching him move quickly back into the vehicle as well.

http://youtu.be/qoI4G1fWmEQ

here's another example for the non believer in you. For every bad shoot by a cop I find 100 more that are good shoots. Quit with the cop bashing. One bad apple does not spoil the bunch.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    So, if this is in fact true, is it justifiable to use this information to justify a lesser sentence, or give an excuse for this incident? Because I don't see how this has anything to do with the guy he put lead into which happened to not be reaching for a weapon, he was just doing what he was asked to do.

I'm saying it may give us some insight and explain his actions, not excuse them. From the video, it looks to me like he made a mistake and I bet it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Halcyon00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    WARNING GRAPHIC VIDEOS FOLLOWING VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

Suspects always come out of their vehicle with erratic movement to grab their licenses as well. Always. /sarcasm

If you have to grab something out of your vehicle, alert the police officer about what you are doing, don't move quickly to the cab and out of his sight, let him know calmly and clearly where your license and insurance is located. It made me nervous watching him move quickly back into the vehicle as well.

http://youtu.be/qoI4G1fWmEQ

here's another example for the non believer in you. For every bad shoot by a cop I find 100 more that are good shoots. Quit with the cop bashing. One bad apple does not spoil the bunch.

Thank you for posting this. Everyone is so quick to give the officer a bad wrap cause the guy didn't look dangerous. He jumped back in his car really fast and the officer had a right to draw his weapon. Another thing I've saw is this officer was involved in a bad shoot out before this happened and I guess he was just jumpy. I'm glad he's getting time for this and glad the other guy is ok but he had a hand in it by jumping back in his car

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Thank you for posting this. Everyone is so quick to give the officer a bad wrap cause the guy didn't look dangerous. He jumped back in his car really fast and the officer had a right to draw his weapon. Another thing I've saw is this officer was involved in a bad shoot out before this happened and I guess he was just jumpy. I'm glad he's getting time for this and glad the other guy is ok but he had a hand in it by jumping back in his car

Contrary to what a few think on BS, cops do punish other cops when they screw up. I can assume his prior shooting played a hand in this shooting buy if it's bad it's bad, nothing can change that.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I think there is a HUGE disconnect between what Police Procedure is and the publics understanding of that procedure.

Get pulled over on the Highway....and the Police get on the loudspeaker...and tell you to get out of the car.

Get pulled over in New Orleans....and the police want you to remain in the car. I guess they don't want you to bail and run. I get that now.

But...Get pulled over in the city and assume that since the last time you were pulled over by the state trooper he wanted you out of the car...so you get out of the car.

BAM...you are now perceived as a threat and understandably...The cop is on edge, because you got out of the car and are perceived as a threat.

To make matters worse...training dictates to eliminate the threat. It's kind of a bitch for the naive ditzhead who gets eliminated because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and then screws up because since he/she is a layman...they don't understand police training.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    "My only concern was the six rounds expended at that range and he only hit the victim once in the hip?"

this happens too much and its scary. looks like most practice and training goes out the window in a gun fight. handguns suck. thats why i carry a shotgun in my vehicle in case i can get to it in time. i load it with flite control 00 buck but im wondering if i should use full power #4 buck federal with 34(?) pellets. has a nice spread at 10 yards.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    "My only concern was the six rounds expended at that range and he only hit the victim once in the hip?"

this happens too much and its scary. looks like most practice and training goes out the window in a gun fight. handguns suck. thats why i carry a shotgun in my vehicle in case i can get to it in time. i load it with flite control 00 buck but im wondering if i should use full power #4 buck federal with 34(?) pellets. has a nice spread at 10 yards.

So by your logic, we should initiate traffic stops and exit our patrol vehicles with shotgun/rifle slung? As if there isnt enough whining about the militarization of LEO already.........

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    maybe you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

You said handguns suck, and would go for the shotgun you carry in your vehicle if you could get to it. So, i didnt say per your instruction, or you advice, or even your opinion. I said by your logic. You would rather have shotgun before pistol, so if my pistol is on my side, and shotgun should be as easily accessible, then shotgun should be as easy to reach as pistol.

My comprehension is just fine.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    this topic is now about how cops can't hit their target and spray down the public with bullets. should cops be allowed to carry guns? or just do paper work? is that why they so grouchy? they gotta be out there? well stay home bra. we don't need you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom