*Update* Star Pawn & Gun Leesville, LA *Outrageous*

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Some places are just nuts. Donavans wanted $47 for a 25 round 10/22 mag that normally goes for $26 on average. When he told me I just laughed and hung up. I can see why they get the bad rep they do.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Dave's Gun shop in Lafayette charges $100 for FFL transfers. This still applies to LOYAL customers who want something that Dave's can't get from any of their distributers but is currently listed elsewhere. Case and point:

Savage FV-SR listed on Gunbroker for $220 + shipping. Customer asks the employees if they can get one. All of their distributors are out so, no. Customer still wants the gun and Dave's says it will still be $100 to transfer the gun even though they can't order one for the customer. Customer orders gun and has shipped to local pawn shop for a $25 fee. Dave's Gun Shop loses a customer and the opportunity to make $25 for receiving mail and completing a 4473.

$100 is outrageous. I usually have mine sent to Acadiana Outfitters, if they can't order what I want. Transfer is $35... not the best but they take care of their customers. They can order just about anything you want too.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Star Pawn is a rip!!! They tried to convince me that an NCStar scope was a top of the line scope worth $400!!!! :eek3:

They had a used remy 700 SPS tac with that scope that I mentioned and wanted $850 for the package. I told them to pound sand!!!

Everyone in SWLA will not have to deal with high prices much longer. As soon as I get my FFL when I get home I can promise I will have the lowest x'fer fees in the area. Not only that but I will do just like Jason (Pelican Firearms), offer you the same exact price if I just order it for you.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Go to head south pawn . It's like $25 for the first and I think $5 after that .

I usually deal with the owner's sons at Head South because I come in after he leaves I guess. They're real nice, helpful, and it's a good price and good location for me. I have transferred a lot of guns there...

The worst thing about STAR is that old red head woman there... I can't stand her for one minute. I won't waste my time dealing with her. She's excruciating to talk to... The big tattooed guy is real knowledgable about guns but it just seeths off of him that he hates having to talk to you, and wishes you'd go away...

(The owner?) James is nice, respectful, knowledgable, and seems like a good dude. I do pay their prices for accessories sometimes when I'm in from the Middle east for a short time and can't wait on shipping... The give a 10% military discount and a 10% NRA discount. Their prices are outrageous though. They are the only game in town though really. No one else keeps much stock. I never see them selling anything not gun related. They should convert the rest of their floorspace to guns and give up on the 15 year old stereo equipment, etc... lol

Maybe one day I'll open up a gun shop and give them some real competition in Vernon Parish. Too busy working in the desert for the forseeable future though...

1funvet

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Westlake LA
    Star Pawn is a rip!!! They tried to convince me that an NCStar scope was a top of the line scope worth $400!!!! :eek3:

They had a used remy 700 SPS tac with that scope that I mentioned and wanted $850 for the package. I told them to pound sand!!!

Everyone in SWLA will not have to deal with high prices much longer. As soon as I get my FFL when I get home I can promise I will have the lowest x'fer fees in the area. Not only that but I will do just like Jason (Pelican Firearms), offer you the same exact price if I just order it for you.

Look forward to doing business with you,

Ethical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    City of Central
    I had Louisiana Gun and Reloading in Baton Rouge transfer a rifle for me from Bud's. They were very helpful and quick. The transfer was only $20.00.

Thing is, they were unusually helpful because I had called to see if he could order the rifle for me. He called back and said that his distributors didn't have that brand in stock. He actually compared prices with online companies and suggested I buy the thing from Bud's and have it transfered to him.

Local help like that is what earns you a loyal customer base. I will be calling Louisiana Gun and Reloading first from now on.

Treadwisely

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had Louisiana Gun and Reloading in Baton Rouge transfer a rifle for me from Bud's. They were very helpful and quick. The transfer was only $20.00.

Thing is, they were unusually helpful because I had called to see if he could order the rifle for me. He called back and said that his distributors didn't have that brand in stock. He actually compared prices with online companies and suggested I buy the thing from Bud's and have it transfered to him.

Local help like that is what earns you a loyal customer base. I will be calling Louisiana Gun and Reloading first from now on.

X2. I love Louisiana Gun and Reload!

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I bought a Walther PPS from Bud's Gun shop and had it shipped to Chad's Pawn shop in Lake Charles. They only charged a
    25.00 transfer fee

:)

good peeps there...where in Lake Charles area do you shop for parts/ammo?...barney's is soso...hunter supply isn't really shopper freindly. Do you ever go to gator guns in sulphur?

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I'm glad to learn of this place, I never heard of them. When I buy a non-C&R I'll have to contact them. I was getting tired of having to go to Cabelas in Gonzales to pay $25 per transfer, $27.50 with tax. Jim's Firearms and Bowie Outfitters wanted to charge $50.00 per transfer AND the higher tax in BR. But if Louisiana Gun and Reloading is just $20.00, the location more than makes up for the tax because I probably spend a couple dollars in diesel to get to Cabelas and back. I'll have to look up where they are located. Going back and forth to Cabelas is one reason I got my C&R FFL a while back, just got tired of paying the fees and having to drive to Cabelas...now the C&R guns come to my door tax free & no transfer fee (and if I can get free shipping yeehaw).

If anyone else collects those type weapons, C&R License is only $25 every 3 years.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    There should be no tax on a transfer because it is a service. I'm not saying places don't charge tax, I know they do, but it is a service not subject to sales tax.

I have used LA Gun several times and they are $20 cash. I have also used Alan (Geaux Shootin) who also charges $20 and each additional transfer on the same 4473 is $5 additional. Both places are sponsors here.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    :)

good peeps there...where in Lake Charles area do you shop for parts/ammo?...barney's is soso...hunter supply isn't really shopper freindly. Do you ever go to gator guns in sulphur?

Chad's is good for transfers, they are nice and easy to deal with. I will never use Gator's or The Outpost in Westlake.

Top Bottom